GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Physalis, Cape Gooseberry, Tomatillo, Ground Cherry, Golden Berry (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/210648-physalis-cape-gooseberry-tomatillo-ground-cherry-golden-berry.html)

Yummy Plants 18-09-2014 03:54 PM

Physalis, Cape Gooseberry, Tomatillo, Ground Cherry, Golden Berry

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Can anyone help with this Physalis plant. It has recently gone from a lush bright green colour to having many mottled purple/brown leaves and purple stems. I have re-potted it today in a pot with better drainage but don't think this is really the problem.

It is the same variety as sold in shops in the UK with yellow sweet fruits inside the husks, not the purple variety that is also grown.

It feels to me like a virus and don't want it affecting my other plant I have bought since.

Any help much appreciated!

Steve Peek[_2_] 18-09-2014 10:01 PM

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:54:06 AM UTC-4, Yummy Plants wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone help with this Physalis plant. It has recently gone from a

lush bright green colour to having many mottled purple/brown leaves and

purple stems. I have re-potted it today in a pot with better drainage

but don't think this is really the problem.

It is the same variety as sold in shops in the UK with yellow sweet

fruits inside the husks, not the purple variety that is also grown.

It feels to me like a virus and don't want it affecting my other plant I

have bought since.

Any help much appreciated!

|Filename: physalis.jpg |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16169|

Yummy Plants

I would think it is about time for it to die. They are annuals you know.

Yummy Plants 19-09-2014 10:47 AM

It is still very warm here in Cornwall but you could be right.

maybe summer has gone too fast for me to notice but my other physalis plant is still lush green?

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 19-09-2014 04:04 PM

Yummy Plants said:
Hi all,

Can anyone help with this Physalis plant. It has recently gone from a
lush bright green colour to having many mottled purple/brown leaves

and
purple stems. I have re-potted it today in a pot with better drainage
but don't think this is really the problem.

|Filename: physalis.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php

attachmentid=16169|

Purpling leaves in solanaceous veggies (tomatoes, peppers, Physalis)
can be phosphorous, pH, or temperature related.

But there is also a bit of leaf mottling which would make me get
out a hand lens to check for spider mites.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored