Old 15-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

Question Confusing Raspberries

I am a little confused about their behaviour and wondered if anybody could explain.

I bought a cane last year and planted it and found it started to grow in the Autumn/Winter when everything else was dying back. It yielded a few berries but this year nothing, if fact it never grew back until now and I can see a few shoot appearing from the soil. Is this normal raspberry behaviour?
Old 17-10-2014, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Confusing Raspberries

On 16/10/2014 5:47 AM, Grub wrote:
I am a little confused about their behaviour and wondered if anybody
could explain.

I bought a cane last year and planted it and found it started to grow
in the Autumn/Winter when everything else was dying back. It yielded a
few berries but this year nothing, if fact it never grew back until now
and I can see a few shoot appearing from the soil. Is this normal
raspberry behaviour?

There are late Autumn bearing raspberries but if you are in the northern
hemisphere then it shouldn't be putting out new growth jsut as your
going into winter.

Old 17-10-2014, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:43:43 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 16/10/2014 5:47 AM, Grub wrote:
I am a little confused about their behaviour and wondered if anybody
could explain.

I bought a cane last year and planted it and found it started to grow
in the Autumn/Winter when everything else was dying back. It yielded a
few berries but this year nothing, if fact it never grew back until now
and I can see a few shoot appearing from the soil. Is this normal
raspberry behaviour?

There are late Autumn bearing raspberries but if you are in the northern
hemisphere then it shouldn't be putting out new growth jsut as your
going into winter.

My canes almost always put out a burst of growth in the fall. In fact,
I really noticed it last weekend.

Boron
Old 27-10-2014, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, October 17, 2014 5:29:57 AM UTC-5, Boron Elgar wrote:

My canes almost always put out a burst of growth in the fall. In fact,
I really noticed it last weekend.

Boron

Mine seem to put out the forky runner canes late in the season which I then have to fling back onto the row or chop off.