Old 28-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Dr.

Default When to start seeds?

Hi,

This year I'm going to try starting seeds indoors instead of buying
plants. There are a few varieties of peppers and tomatoes I'd like to try
that I haven't found locally.

Can anyone recommend when to start the seeds? They are tomato, hot
pepper, squash, cuke, lima beans, sweet peppers, and eggplant.
I live in N.W. Ohio.

TIA for the advice.

Old 28-02-2003, 02:28 AM
Tim B

Here are some reference sheets for the vegetables you mention. The number
of weeks ahead they need to be started is in the sheet for each one. For
the ones that give OUTDOOR sowing information too, you can direct-sow those
in the garden as indicated. Whether you direct sow or start those depends
on how short your season is. I'm a couple of hours south of you and I'd
direct-sow the beans, and usually direct-sow squash and cukes because I
value the cost savings more than I value the extra growth.

limas: http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/bnlimab.htm
tomato: http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/tomatoes.htm
peppers: http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/peppers.htm
squash: http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/squashs.htm
cukes: http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/cucumber.htm
eggplant: http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/eggplant.htm

For anything that's in the 10-12 week range you probably want to start now.
Otherwise you have some time to assemble supplies. A shop light, no more
than three inches above the seedlings, will be really helpful since you're
not going to be able to expect 12 hours of strong sunlight a day this time
of year.

You can consult your county extension agent for varieties that grow well in
your particular climate.

Here's a very good reference from Ohio State University:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/lines/vegie.html

Old 28-02-2003, 02:40 AM
zxcvbob

"Dr." wrote:
Hi,
This year I'm going to try starting seeds indoors instead of buying
plants. There are a few varieties of peppers and tomatoes I'd like to try
that I haven't found locally.

Can anyone recommend when to start the seeds? They are tomato, hot
pepper, squash, cuke, lima beans, sweet peppers, and eggplant.
I live in N.W. Ohio.

TIA for the advice.

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW. I usually plant my peppers in
early February, but I'm running a little late this year. I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

Squash, beans, and cucumbers will do just fine seeded directly in the
garden once the ground is warm.

Best regards,
Bob, in Minnesota
Old 28-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Dr.

Tim,

Thanks for the very useful info and links. I should be all set now on
what to do. I have all the supplies I need, including lighting, growing
media, plastic containers, peat pots, heat mat, seeds, etc.
Hopefully I'll succeed in starting the seeds. I have several I'd like to
try that I mail-ordered, including some interesting hot peppers, hybrid and
heirloom tomatoes, and sweet peppers.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Old 28-02-2003, 03:40 AM
Dr.

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW.

Will do. Got the lighting ready today, and I'm all set.

I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

OK, I'll shoot for early/mid April on the tomatoes.

Squash, beans, and cucumbers will do just fine seeded directly in the
garden once the ground is warm.

I appreciate the info Bob, you've been very helpful. Can't wait to see (and
taste) the results, especially the Caribbean Red habanero peppers and
striped green tomatoes.

Thanks again.

Old 28-02-2003, 04:04 AM
zxcvbob

"Dr." wrote:

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW.

Will do. Got the lighting ready today, and I'm all set.

I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

OK, I'll shoot for early/mid April on the tomatoes.

Squash, beans, and cucumbers will do just fine seeded directly in the
garden once the ground is warm.

I appreciate the info Bob, you've been very helpful. Can't wait to see (and
taste) the results, especially the Caribbean Red habanero peppers and
striped green tomatoes.

Thanks again.

You're in Ohio, right? I would start the tomatoes a *little* earlier
than that if I were you. I'm in southern Minnesota, but still farther
north of you than you might think. Plant at least a few tomatoes at the
end of March. You can plant some more in mid April.

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob
Old 28-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Dr. said:

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW.

Will do. Got the lighting ready today, and I'm all set.

I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

OK, I'll shoot for early/mid April on the tomatoes.

That's when I start my tomatoes (I'm in SE Michigan). April 8th is a nice date.

Though usually start my peppers and eggplants at the same time. They sprout
pretty quickly, if you give them the right amount of bottom heat, and take off
quickly once they do get planted out (usually a few days to a week after the
tomatoes).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 28-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:34:21 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW. I usually plant my peppers in
early February, but I'm running a little late this year. I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

This is a problem for me too (in the Appalachian Mountains
in north central Pennsylvania). We sometimes have frosts in
JUNE here. There have even been frosts here in July and
August, although these are thankfully very rare. Ugh.

I set my tomatoes out fairly early last year (around May 15)
but put them in WalloWaters which did - in fact - protect
them from several frosts. I'm going to do that again this
year.

The other problem with early planting for me is that the
garden isn't 'tillable' until around the end of May - it's
got standing water in several places before then. We have
very heavy clay soil and it takes forever to dry in the
spring.

I need raised beds! Hopefully, this year will see the
beginning of raised beds.

Pat
--
Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
Old 01-03-2003, 12:28 AM
simy1

zxcvbob wrote in message ...

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW. I usually plant my peppers in
early February, but I'm running a little late this year. I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

Squash, beans, and cucumbers will do just fine seeded directly in the
garden once the ground is warm.

It takes quite a bit of repotting, sure (from tray to 4" to 8") but it
is only
18 plants for me and you get to repot them to the first set of leaves
twice. The 8" pot can be filled with straight manure for an extra
little kick, and I have a sunny, sheltered patio where tomatoes
survive the night starting april 15 (Michigan).
Old 01-03-2003, 01:27 AM
tiger x

I appreciate the info Bob, you've been very helpful. Can't wait to see (and
taste) the results, especially the Caribbean Red habanero peppers and
striped green tomatoes.

Thanks again.

Good luck on the striped tomatoes. Let us know in the summer how they
did. I planted some twice and had very pretty plants but not a single
bloom or tomato. And they were planted with other varieties that
produced normally.

Tiger

Old 02-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Mike Stickney

DR,
I suggest sowing 6-8 weeks before you intend to plant them out. You can cut
this time down if sowing in individual pots and if extra care is taken to
provide some shade and plenty of water at the time of transplanting.
Lima beans, squash and cukes are best sown directly into the garden once the
soil has warmed up.
Mike Stickney