GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Now I need a plow ... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/210880-now-i-need-plow.html)

Terry Coombs 12-11-2014 01:06 AM

Now I need a plow ...

A few weeks ago my wife asked me if I was still looking for a mower , she
saw an ad online ...
I am now the owner of John Deere model 317 yard/garden tractor with
hydraulics . The front blade has already gotten some exercise on my driveway
.... the mower deck needs some pretty extensive repair , but I have all
winter .
I probably couldn't afford the hydraulic 3 point hitch made for this unit
if I found one , but I'd bet I can rig up something to use a plow and other
"farming" implements . That'll be a LOT easier on an old man than that
tiller I've been using !
--
Snag

Bloke Down The Pub 13-11-2014 12:04 AM

Now I need a plow ...

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
A few weeks ago my wife asked me if I was still looking for a mower , she
saw an ad online ...
I am now the owner of John Deere model 317 yard/garden tractor with
hydraulics . The front blade has already gotten some exercise on my
driveway ... the mower deck needs some pretty extensive repair , but I
have all winter .
I probably couldn't afford the hydraulic 3 point hitch made for this unit
if I found one , but I'd bet I can rig up something to use a plow and
other "farming" implements . That'll be a LOT easier on an old man than
that tiller I've been using !
--
Snag

Apparently, first you take your swords and I suspect a big fire plus an
anvil and hammer. That's the sum total of my information, but it must be
true I read it on the internet.

Mike

Terry Coombs 13-11-2014 12:28 AM

Now I need a plow ...

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
[...]

Well , I'm fresh outta swords ... but I do have a couple of Old Chevy
Springs , ya think they might work ?
--
Snag

Ecnerwal 13-11-2014 04:47 PM

Now I need a plow ...

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
... but I do have a couple of Old Chevy
Springs , ya think they might work ?

Suggest you try a chisel plow rather than a moldboard - easier to
fabricate, also less long-term issues for soil structure. Good
leaf-spring project.

Terry Coombs 13-11-2014 05:13 PM

Now I need a plow ...

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
... but I do have a couple of Old Chevy
Springs , ya think they might work ?

Suggest you try a chisel plow rather than a moldboard - easier to
fabricate, also less long-term issues for soil structure. Good
leaf-spring project.

Sounds entirely too much like a plan ... I'm betting I can source the actual
plow blade locally , fabricate the mount springs and framework in the shop
....and have an even bigger garden next year with less actual sweat equity .
My wife has no idea what kind of monster she created when she showed me that
online ad for a "lawn mower" .

--
Snag

phorbin 15-11-2014 12:27 AM

Now I need a plow ...

In article , says...
Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
... but I do have a couple of Old Chevy
Springs , ya think they might work ?

Suggest you try a chisel plow rather than a moldboard - easier to
fabricate, also less long-term issues for soil structure. Good
leaf-spring project.

Sounds entirely too much like a plan ... I'm betting I can source the actual
plow blade locally , fabricate the mount springs and framework in the shop
...and have an even bigger garden next year with less actual sweat equity .
My wife has no idea what kind of monster she created when she showed me that
online ad for a "lawn mower" .

Too cool.

Post pix somewhere when you get it done.

---

Terry Coombs 15-11-2014 06:13 PM

Now I need a plow ...

phorbin wrote:
In article , says...
Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
... but I do have a couple of Old Chevy
Springs , ya think they might work ?

Suggest you try a chisel plow rather than a moldboard - easier to
fabricate, also less long-term issues for soil structure. Good
leaf-spring project.

Sounds entirely too much like a plan ... I'm betting I can source
the actual plow blade locally , fabricate the mount springs and
framework in the shop ...and have an even bigger garden next year
with less actual sweat equity . My wife has no idea what kind of
monster she created when she showed me that online ad for a "lawn
mower" .

Too cool.

Post pix somewhere when you get it done.

Sure thing , if I decide to do it . Then I can retire that tiller that
beats me to death .

--
Snag