Old 15-01-2015, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default plum eater in residence

I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom and
they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and smell), hence
the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the few groups of placental
mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a willingness to
use them. He/she objected violently to being expelled, that stare is using
excellent binocular vision to line up on me so that the second I get in
range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they have to
be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from the ground.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 15-01-2015, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom and
they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and smell),
hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the few groups of
placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a willingness
to use them. He/she objected violently to being expelled, that stare is
using excellent binocular vision to line up on me so that the second I
get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they have
to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from the ground.

How do they taste when roasted? G
Old 15-01-2015, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George wrote:
I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom and
they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and smell),
hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the few groups of
placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a willingness
to use them. He/she objected violently to being expelled, that stare is
using excellent binocular vision to line up on me so that the second I
get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they have
to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from the ground.

How do they taste when roasted? G

Shirley you jest.

--
~√`π§Δ÷¥€£±{}®¿
Old 15-01-2015, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
How do they taste when roasted? G

crunchy frog?

songbird
Old 15-01-2015, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

There isn't much meat on them, all skin and hinges. And they are protected.

Old 16-01-2015, 09:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom and
they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and smell),
hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the few groups of
placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a willingness
to use them. He/she objected violently to being expelled, that stare is
using excellent binocular vision to line up on me so that the second I
get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they have
to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from the ground.

Wow. Beautiful beastie but I'd always be wondering if they carry the
Hendra Virus and give each and every one of them a very wide berth.
Old 17-01-2015, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

For those who don't know, hendra virus is a nasty disease with a high
mortality rate that infects horses (and sometimes people) in Oz. There is
some evidence that it may be carried by bats but the matter is not
conclusive. How it might get from bats to horses we don't know. The only
humans who have got it apparently got it from horses and whether you can get
it from bats directly is also not known but it seems possible. The areas
where outbreaks have happened are a long way from me, although that is not
entirely comforting as bats do migrate to a degree following blooming and
fruiting up and down the coast. My horses are all fine!

I take careful precautions but if outbreaks move close I wouldn't handle
them at all as there is no vaccine for people. Which means the only way to
free them would be destructive, as in a faceful of spade and corpse removal
at a distance, which I really don't want to do if there is a reasonable
alternative.

Old 19-01-2015, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom and
they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and smell),
hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the few groups of
placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a willingness
to use them. He/she objected violently to being expelled, that stare is
using excellent binocular vision to line up on me so that the second I
get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they have
to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from the ground.

Looks like a dog in a Halloween costume. And probably similarly ready to
attack if for different reason.
Old 19-01-2015, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nelly W wrote:
[...]

If your dog hangs upside down and has eyes like that I would move out and
not leave a forwarding address :-)

You are not the first person to see some resemblance, that are often called
flying foxes locally. This one is either a grey-headed FF or a red FF, I am
not expert enough to tell which. The problem is that both have grey heads
and a red ruff!

Old 20-01-2015, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Once upon a time on usenet David Hare-Scott wrote:
I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom
and they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and
smell), hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the
few groups of placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a
willingness to use them. He/she objected violently to being
expelled, that stare is using excellent binocular vision to line up
on me so that the second I get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they
have to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from
the ground.

I clicked the forward button a few times and saw some of your other pics.

Those Galahs - they mate for life you say? Man that must be tiring! A short
but happy life.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 20-01-2015, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Most (all?) of the many parrots of Oz do. If you watch lorikeets, rosellas
and many others that move in flocks you will see most of the flock actually
move in pairs. The pair will separate briefly but keep coming back
together. One of the pair will never leave without the other. This is
rather like humans in that monogamy is standard but not always observed in
practice, in the breeding season there is always some nooky on the side.

winter residence Willi_9 Garden Photos 2 01-12-2013 10:46 PM
hi, Amazing Offer for Beautiful Residence, dont miss it [email protected] Ponds (alternative) 0 29-03-2006 11:57 PM
"Shark" Algae Eater? stricks760 Ponds 2 02-02-2004 10:02 PM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 02:44 PM