Old 28-03-2015, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What Happened to Spring?

It was down to 31°F last night and 26°F predicted for tonight. I
covered my onions and spinach with 2 layers of row cover. Took it off
today so they don't cook. Back on tonight. I found some volunteer
lettuce plants yesterday. Dug the up and put them in the greenhouse.
They go back out when it warms up. Thank goodness the peas haven't
germinated yet.

I cut a small serving of rhubarb this morning. Dessert at lunch.
Discovered that 2 of the 3 rhubarb plants DH got last year have poked
their heads through. Still watching the last one. These are fairly
expensive, supposed to be red ones. Once they get going good I may
start taking cuttings and replace some of the existing plants that
don't do very well.

Guess in a few days I will start transplanting some of my tomato and
pepper seedlings into larger quarters. Am even more sure that they
are not going outside until sometime in May.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 28-03-2015, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/28/2015 11:03 AM, The Cook wrote:
[...]

We had a little cold snap yesterday ourselves, got down into the high
forties. Had to put a blanket back on the bed. G

Bright sunshine today and hardly any wind. All the veggies we planted
from seed are now up. Yellow squash, green beans, cukes, lima beans,
carrots all up and growing. The transplants are also doing well as we
got a bit of rain shortly after planting.

Picked up the dawg from the vet hospital this morning, had her right
meniscus repaired. Very expensive but worth it for this one. She's
laying on a rug in the living room now with her "Elizabethan" collar on
and groaning about her knee like any other senior citizen. In a few
weeks she will be able to run and jump without pain we hope. Maybe take
her out for a short leash walk in the garden later today and give her a
chance to lay in the sunshine for a bit.

George
Old 28-03-2015, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
[...]

I noticed yesterday that some of the spinach and bok choy I planted
earlier this week has sprouted , but the lettuce hasn't . We're expecting a
light freeze tonight , so I'll be covering the hot box with a tarp ... I'll
be moving those seedling out into the garden in a couple of weeks , weather
permitting . I'll be checking the 10 day forecast first though , don't want
a repeat of last year . It froze the night I planted them and cost me a
third of my tomato seedlings .
Her daffodils sure are purty !
--
Snag

Old 28-03-2015, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/28/2015 4:09 PM, Derald wrote:
The Cook wrote:

It was down to 31°F last night and 26°F predicted for tonight. I
covered my onions and spinach with 2 layers of row cover. Took it off
today so they don't cook. Back on tonight. I found some volunteer
lettuce plants yesterday. Dug the up and put them in the greenhouse.
They go back out when it warms up. Thank goodness the peas haven't
germinated yet.

We're having a bit of chill, too. Was high 40's overnight with
mid-low 40's forecast for the next couple of nights; days forecast
70-75°. Nothing in the garden here will find those temps objectionable.

It's 1645 right now and the temp is 81F on the shaded back porch. Lots
of sunshine today and every thing we planted so far is up and growing.
Happy, happy.

Dawg is home from the vet too, picked her up at 1100 this morning. Had
to have her right knee repaired, had a meniscus blow out. She's playing
the poor me game, wanted to be hand fed, have her butt scratched and
rolls those big, brown eyes at us. We missed her during her two and a
half days away. No one to chase the birds out of the garden and to run
the loose cats away.
Old 29-03-2015, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

It was down to 31°F last night and 26°F predicted for tonight. I
covered my onions and spinach with 2 layers of row cover. Took it
off today so they don't cook. Back on tonight. I found some
volunteer lettuce plants yesterday. Dug the up and put them in the
greenhouse. They go back out when it warms up. Thank goodness the
peas haven't germinated yet.

We're having a bit of chill, too. Was high 40's overnight with
mid-low 40's forecast for the next couple of nights; days forecast
70-75°. Nothing in the garden here will find those temps
objectionable.

It's 1645 right now and the temp is 81F on the shaded back porch. Lots
of sunshine today and every thing we planted so far is up and growing.
Happy, happy.

Oh quit gloating ! grin We did get a little sun today , but it's still
chilly enough out that I have a fire in the stove . And the forecast is
still for 31° overnight .
--
Snag

Old 29-03-2015, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

[...]

I've got my fingers in my ears and singing La, La to keep from hearing
about the cold weather. I DO NOT LIKE COLD ANYTHING BUT ICED TEA, COLA,
AND THE ODD BEER.
Old 29-03-2015, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/28/2015 9:47 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

It's 1645 right now and the temp is 81F on the shaded back porch. Lots
of sunshine today and every thing we planted so far is up and growing.
Happy, happy.

We've been warm, too, recently. Greens are all bolting and onions
are blooming. At least this most recent front brought a little rain to
these parts, ahead of the chilly temps. Have garden peas coming along
with more just emerging.

Our greens are still producing, including lettuce, spinach, etc. The
Swiss chard was planted two years ago and is still producing. It's in
full shade after high noon and I suspect that's what keeps it producing.

We planted Truckers Favorite corn Friday afternoon and when it gets
about six inches high we will plant brown crowder peas alongside. After
that we will plant squash around the peas. The old Native American
"Three Sisters." We plant every square inch we can with stuff to eat or
cook with or is just pretty.

Going to middle grandson's place tomorrow and help him build some more
raised beds. He, our son, and our daughter all are gardeners. The other
four grandkids haunt the grocery stores.

George
Old 29-03-2015, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:03:09 -0400, The Cook wrote:

[...]

It's coming just a little bit more slowly this year. Spring fever is
getting the best of all of us. Here's a pic that might help scare away
those cold nights.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/fry_daddy/
perennialhouse1_zpsqnk9q9ne.jpg
Old 29-03-2015, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/29/2015 11:18 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Our greens are still producing, including lettuce, spinach, etc. The
Swiss chard was planted two years ago and is still producing. It's in
full shade after high noon and I suspect that's what keeps it producing.

Could be (chard in shade). I'm certain that collards may be grown
as perennials in open shade and that the perennial herbs we grow do best
when protected from direct sunlight, past mid-morning, during the hot
months. We don't grow any "leaf" lettuce and—although, I try almost
every year—we don't have enough consistently cool weather for even
so-called "summertime" crisphead lettuce to thrive. In the fall, once
the beds are reliably cool, I begin planting lettuce weekly and carrots
bi-weekly. Most years, the cool periods aren't sufficiently long for
heading lettuce to do much besides blossom; at least, they're pretty and
the butterflies like'em. Carrots are far more tolerant of warm winters
and I can plant them 'til March with some expectation of fresh carrots
for the kitchen.

We planted Truckers Favorite corn Friday afternoon and when it gets
about six inches high we will plant brown crowder peas alongside. After
that we will plant squash around the peas. The old Native American
"Three Sisters." We plant every square inch we can with stuff to eat or
cook with or is just pretty.

No corn (maize) here. This year, I'm contemplating transplanting
tomatoes or eggplant (aubergine) into the yellow squash. I can follow
the squash with peanuts (for example). OTOH, I have containers enough
for three tomato plants, more than enough, and I can direct-seed them
with no fiddling around. Eggplant, it shall be, then.

Going to middle grandson's place tomorrow and help him build some more
raised beds. He, our son, and our daughter all are gardeners. The other
four grandkids haunt the grocery stores.

DW&I don't see enough of our respective families to know whether
any of them gardens. The nearest neighbor who cooks takes fresh herbs
from time to time and behaved as if he liked the ginger. Despite my
offers, he doesn't seem interested in growing his own seasonings so...

We live in a subdivision in between Tomball, TX and The Woodlands, TX.
290 homes here, I only know of three of us that actually garden. I
posted on the web site that I would teach vegetable and herb gardening
practices and also how to preserve the food you grow. No one was
interested. At least it seemed so, no one bothered to reply. Most of the
neighbors just grow grass and whatever the builder put in for plantings.
One thing builders plant around here is Pineapple guava, neighbor across
the street was originally from Puerto Rico and she didn't even recognize
the plants. I will be watching the fruit this year as last year we had a
late freeze that dropped the fruit and ruined it. I'm thinking maybe
guava wine or just jellies and jams.

Spotted some big turtles in the retention pond, required in this part of
Texas. I know there's no firearm use here but I need to ask if air guns
are considered firearms by the idiots that run the subdivision. If not,
we may have turtle stew or soup or both on the menu before long. Also
spotted a family of nutria rats there, they're not protected so are easy
prey. The hides are worth a couple of bucks and I need to research the
tail bounty. In Louisiana you got five bucks for every nutria tail
brought in. Cajuns got a large amount of the rats out of the wetlands
there. Plus I've eaten nutria meat before and it is no worse than
muskrat or squirrel. I need to put the scope on my 1100 fps air rifle.

Dewberries we are cultivating are blooming still and the early blooms
have set fruit. Have to watch the dog or she will be nipping the berries
off the vines.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

[...]

I'm still laughing from George Wills comment this morning calling it
"negative global warming".

Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What Happened to Spring? correction

On 4/5/2015 2:30 PM, Frank wrote:

I'm still laughing from George Wills comment this morning calling it
"negative global warming".

Will said, "insufficient global warming" in blaming economy for poor job
growth.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

[...]

I saw that one too, I think he and I could be friends easily. At 1451
today I am reading 58F. What happened to my spring?

Having said that I just came in from the garden, a tiny zucchini is
showing on one plant. I must keep an eye on it or it will be two feet
long by Tuesday. All the tomatoes and sweet chiles have tiny blooms
either open or opening soon. Dear wife is out cutting lettuces for our
Easter dinner at 5 pm this afternoon with the kids, grands, and great
grands.