Old 29-03-2015, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Does Sodium Laureth Sulfate hurt edible plants?

Hi All,

I have to get rid of my back lawn (water meters). I
typically drip drain my swamp (evaporative) cooler
on to my lawn in any spot that need more water.
I use Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Safe Choice) in the
cooler as a wetting agent, so there is a tad of it
in the drip water. Doesn't not hurt the lawn
one bit. (The lawn actually seems to like it.)

But, after rocking in the lawn, one of the few places
left for the cooler to drip would be my two planters
I plant to put where the lawn use to be.

Will this hurt my edible plants or me if I eat these
plants?

Many thanks,
-T

Safe Choice:
http://www.environmentalgreenproduct...-pr-16178.html

Ingredients:
Purified water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide MEA, citric acid.

Safe Choice MSDS:
http://www.environmentalgreenproduct...dy_shampoo.pdf
Old 29-03-2015, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/28/2015 11:16 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I'm a retired heavy industry safety professional and I see no reason to
worry about it on your plants according to the MSDS. Appears to be
benign to plants and to humans.

If anyone worries about the chemicals used in gardens and lawns be sure
you get a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from the place you bought
it. Many of the materials we use in gardens has an MSDS taped to the
container or in or on the box. I do it as a routine thing when we buy
chemicals of any kind and, generally, I will read the MSDS will still in
the store.
Old 29-03-2015, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 03/29/2015 07:28 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 3/28/2015 11:16 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Hi George,

Thank you! It certainly doesn't seem to hurt the grass, but
I don't eat the grass.

-T
Old 29-03-2015, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/29/2015 2:59 PM, T wrote:
sodium laureth sulfate

I second George's comments and also add that it is approved by the FDA
as a direct food additive.

MSDS's can be somewhat misleading to the layman as they stress the
hazards of the pure material. Eating a bar of soap would make you sick
but drinking a little soapy water will not bother you.