Old 30-04-2015, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default No lack of pollinators ...

At least down in The Holler . My one beehive has over the last 3 weeks
become 4 hives ... the result of a split , a swarm , and a mini-split is
that now we have 3 colonies with virgin queens and one with 2 capped queen
cells . Now all we need is stuff to start blooming so I can quit feeding
sugar syrup !
Blackberries are about to bust out ...
--
Snag

Old 30-04-2015, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

At least down in The Holler . My one beehive has over the last 3 weeks
become 4 hives ... the result of a split , a swarm , and a mini-split is
that now we have 3 colonies with virgin queens and one with 2 capped queen
cells . Now all we need is stuff to start blooming so I can quit feeding
sugar syrup !

if you were local i'd give you all sorts of
early spring flowers. we have way too many clumps
that haven't been divided for quite a few years.
the other day i found someone who wanted some of
the daffodils and they took a few clumps of those
off my hands and some of the light pink hyacynths.

we have a very tiny white flower that blooms
early too, the other day i was laughing because
this large bumblebee was landing on them and that
would drag them down to the ground while it was
foraging.

Blackberries are about to bust out ...

saw the first strawberry bloom yesterday. a
little rain last night and today. the north
garden is coming along.

songbird
Old 30-04-2015, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

We have quite a few spring flowers in the area , and lots of trees and
wild flowers/berries/etc that they forage on in the spring . What we lack
here is stuff that blooms into late summer . My strawberries have been
blooming like mad for about 2-3 weeks now , we have berries almost the size
of marbles . They're putting out runners now too , I'm getting some started
in 3" pots for transplant and gifts to a neighbor .

--
Snag

Old 01-05-2015, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
We have quite a few spring flowers in the area , and lots of trees and
wild flowers/berries/etc that they forage on in the spring . What we lack
here is stuff that blooms into late summer . My strawberries have been
blooming like mad for about 2-3 weeks now , we have berries almost the size
of marbles . They're putting out runners now too , I'm getting some started
in 3" pots for transplant and gifts to a neighbor .

hmm, these come to mind to look for or encourage:

purple asters
later plantings of buckwheat
clovers
second or third regrowth of alfalfa
lillies
reblooming iris

the purple asters and reblooming iris are what usually get
taken out by the frosts here at the end of the season.

songbird