Old 14-05-2015, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatillo question

Hi All,

I was thinking of growing some Amarylla Tomatillos:
http://www.rareseeds.com/amarylla-tomatillo/

Question: if I also plant some purple Tomatillos
from the local nursery, will the cross pollination
between the two be a problem? Will I wind up with
a bunch of weird fruit?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 14-05-2015, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/13/2015 07:18 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking of growing some Amarylla Tomatillos:
http://www.rareseeds.com/amarylla-tomatillo/

Question: if I also plant some purple Tomatillos
from the local nursery, will the cross pollination
between the two be a problem? Will I wind up with
a bunch of weird fruit?

Seems to me that the fruit will be normal, but if I
harvest the seeds, the next generation may be a little
weird. Am I incorrect?

Many thanks,
-T

Old 14-05-2015, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Seems to me that the fruit will be normal, but if I
harvest the seeds, the next generation may be a little
weird. Am I incorrect?

why would it matter? it will likely still be a
tomatillo and edible. as we say around here, it
all comes out brown anyways...

songbird
Old 14-05-2015, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:
On 05/13/2015 07:18 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking of growing some Amarylla Tomatillos:
http://www.rareseeds.com/amarylla-tomatillo/

Question: if I also plant some purple Tomatillos
from the local nursery, will the cross pollination
between the two be a problem? Will I wind up with
a bunch of weird fruit?

Seems to me that the fruit will be normal, but if I
harvest the seeds, the next generation may be a little
weird. Am I incorrect?

Yep. The fruit is entirely the product of the mother.
Fruit is not the offspring. Seed is the offspring.
Fruit is packaging.

I was going to draw analogy, but animals (mamals, at least) don't
seem to have anything that is analogous to fruit.

--
Drew Lawson | "Look! A big distracting thing!"

Old 14-05-2015, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/14/2015 05:26 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Seems to me that the fruit will be normal, but if I
harvest the seeds, the next generation may be a little
weird. Am I incorrect?

why would it matter? it will likely still be a
tomatillo and edible. as we say around here, it
all comes out brown anyways...

songbird

EWWW!

Because the different varieties taste different.

Old 14-05-2015, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Because the different varieties taste different.

if you want to keep the seed lines apart you'd
need to not plant them close together but even then
if there are bees about it may not keep things
apart enough over the long term. might depend
upon what the neighbors plant too.

another method is to plant one kind one year and
the other kind the next and then you have your
seed supply for a few years after that which is
separated and you can then plant a mixed garden
and not use any of those seeds for the following
year.

songbird
Old 15-05-2015, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 5:57:44 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Because the different varieties taste different.

if you want to keep the seed lines apart you'd
need to not plant them close together but even then
if there are bees about it may not keep things
apart enough over the long term. might depend
upon what the neighbors plant too.

another method is to plant one kind one year and
the other kind the next and then you have your
seed supply for a few years after that which is
separated and you can then plant a mixed garden
and not use any of those seeds for the following
year.

songbird

There could be a problem there. It seems (to me at least)that tomatillos once planted seem to apear year after year.
Old 15-05-2015, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Because the different varieties taste different.

if you want to keep the seed lines apart you'd
need to not plant them close together but even then
if there are bees about it may not keep things
apart enough over the long term. might depend
upon what the neighbors plant too.

another method is to plant one kind one year and
the other kind the next and then you have your
seed supply for a few years after that which is
separated and you can then plant a mixed garden
and not use any of those seeds for the following
year.

songbird

There could be a problem there. It seems (to me at least)that tomatillos once planted seem to apear year after year.

Hi Steve,

I have a Black Thumb. This wont' be a problem! :-)

-T
Old 23-05-2015, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/22/2015 6:40 PM, phorbin wrote:
In article , lid says...

Hi Steve,

I have a Black Thumb. This wont' be a problem! :-)

-T

We tried growing tomatillos and didn't love them enough to continue with them.

We last planted tomatillos 10 years ago.

We've had tomatillos come up every year, since then.

hardiness zone 5.

---

You may have to move to get away from them. G We had that problem with
New Zealand spinach.
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/hom...scenef2e7.html

There is a seed at every leaf node and will all germinate in zones 8
thru 9, don't know about colder as I don't like to be in temps last than
75F. The stuff does taste good will grow in any warm weather, it just
eventually becomes a PITA.
Old 23-05-2015, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/22/2015 04:42 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/22/2015 6:40 PM, phorbin wrote:
In article , lid says...

Hi Steve,

I have a Black Thumb. This wont' be a problem! :-)

-T

We tried growing tomatillos and didn't love them enough to continue
with them.

We last planted tomatillos 10 years ago.

We've had tomatillos come up every year, since then.

hardiness zone 5.

---
protection is active.

You may have to move to get away from them. G We had that problem with
New Zealand spinach.
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/hom...scenef2e7.html

There is a seed at every leaf node and will all germinate in zones 8
thru 9, don't know about colder as I don't like to be in temps last than
75F. The stuff does taste good will grow in any warm weather, it just
eventually becomes a PITA.

I could kills those too! All I;d have to do is look at them!!!! :'(
Old 23-05-2015, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/22/2015 04:40 PM, phorbin wrote:

We tried growing tomatillos and didn't love them enough to continue with them.

Hi Phorbin,

I am a drug free T2 Diabetic. When you switch over from burning
carbs to burning fats and your satiation switch resets, your
sense of taste returns. (I use to think that my lose of taste
was just "old age sucks"). I can (now) taste so many nuances
in a tomatillo that my eyes roll in my head.

This year I am trying to grow purple ones and Amarillo (Polish)
ones. But my black thumb will probably get in the way.

I wish they keep coming up!

-T

Before Drug Free T2, I use to think Tomatillos were just
gross. I also use to think pepper was just hot.

Old 23-05-2015, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/23/2015 12:46 PM, T wrote:
On 05/22/2015 04:40 PM, phorbin wrote:

We tried growing tomatillos and didn't love them enough to continue
with them.

Hi Phorbin,

I am a drug free T2 Diabetic. When you switch over from burning
carbs to burning fats and your satiation switch resets, your
sense of taste returns. (I use to think that my lose of taste
was just "old age sucks"). I can (now) taste so many nuances
in a tomatillo that my eyes roll in my head.

This year I am trying to grow purple ones and Amarillo (Polish)
ones. But my black thumb will probably get in the way.

I wish they keep coming up!

-T

Before Drug Free T2, I use to think Tomatillos were just
gross. I also use to think pepper was just hot.

The above doesn't apply to store bought produce.
This goes to my theory as to why folks don't eat (more)
produce. It is because it tastes like crap.

tomatillo potting question T[_4_] Edible Gardening 6 09-05-2016 07:16 PM
Tomatillo seed question T[_4_] Edible Gardening 5 30-05-2015 11:55 AM
Tomatillo question Ook Gardening 20 05-07-2007 03:10 AM
Tomatillo (Physalis ixocarpa) verdict: worth considering Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 08-10-2003 09:10 AM
Tomatillo Recipes - 1 Pasta Sauce & 2 Salsa Verde EV Edible Gardening 2 07-10-2003 02:27 AM