Old 24-05-2015, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mattie Beane green beans

Just got home from the seedswap (was snowed out in Feb) and these were
among the seeds I got . It's really too bad the swap didn't go off in
February when it was originally scheduled , some of the stuff won't get
planted until next year because it's too late now .
But some will ...
--
Snag

Old 25-05-2015, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Just got home from the seedswap (was snowed out in Feb) and these were
among the seeds I got . It's really too bad the swap didn't go off in
February when it was originally scheduled , some of the stuff won't get
planted until next year because it's too late now .

But some will ...

is it getting too hot down there already?

i've not heard of them before. we're always planting
at least one patch of green and waxed beans as i love
eating them fresh right there in the garden and we
steam them or make some bean salads for canning...

the rain last night teased us with a few sprinkles
here or there, better than nothing, but we still need
a good rain.

songbird
Old 25-05-2015, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Just got home from the seedswap (was snowed out in Feb) and these
were among the seeds I got . It's really too bad the swap didn't go
off in February when it was originally scheduled , some of the stuff
won't get planted until next year because it's too late now .

But some will ...

is it getting too hot down there already?

i've not heard of them before. we're always planting
at least one patch of green and waxed beans as i love
eating them fresh right there in the garden and we
steam them or make some bean salads for canning...

the rain last night teased us with a few sprinkles
here or there, better than nothing, but we still need
a good rain.

songbird

I'm not sure if it's too late to plant , but I do know the blue lake beans
I planted (twice now) either aren't germinating or they're being dug up by
"critters" . And about that rain thing , if I could I'd for sure send some
your way . We're getting very heavy rain , comes in waves . If you look at
the radar , the lines of thunderstorms that are building and coming from the
west have caused major problems all over Arkansas . We live in north central
, and it rained so hard for a short time yesterday afternoon it overwhelmed
my drainage measures and I had water running across the floor of my machine
shop . Today I have a lot of flash rust on mt machine tools , and I ain't
happy about that .
Some area are experiencing major flooding , I haven't been out today but
expect our (dirt/gravel) road has a couple of places washed out . Only thing
that keeps it passable is that bedrock is only a couple of inches below the
surface .
--
Snag

Old 25-05-2015, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/25/2015 10:25 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

I may have mentioned that we always grew either Blue Lake or Kentucky
Wonder beans but this year planted Kentucky Blue, a cross between the
two above. Seem to be doing well for us and I've already put up 18 pints
and we're eating green beans as a side at least twice a week.

You're getting the rain that passed over us, looking at the regional
satellite I see the storms going from Houston area up to your area
Terry. I had to empty the rain gauge again this morning as it was
running over at the six inch mark. That's roughly a week's worth of
rain. Forecast is more of the same, most of it coming from the Yucatan
Peninsula and farther out. That's one of the reasons we have raised beds
with porous ground cover under the bed so the plants don't drown. Our
property is about four inches of sand on top of five feet of gumbo clay
and beneath that is the original soil for the area. Builders raised the
five feet to avoid the federal flood insurance but it sure screwed up
growing anything but grass.

My mother's family were Arkansawyers, they were among the Cherokees who
moved out there before Andrew Jackson drove the rest to Arkansas. Lived
around where Berryville is now and Mom was actually born in Oklahoma as
they moved there in the 1890's, she was born in Shawnee, OK in 1905, the
last of ten children.

Bright sunshine here today and hitting 80+ soon. Take heart, maybe the
rain will hold off for a few days.

We picked squash and cucumbers again yesterday, green beans are blooming
again as of this morning. I reckon the Super Bloom helped and the
sunshine really helped.
Old 26-05-2015, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm not sure if it's too late to plant , but I do know the blue lake beans
I planted (twice now) either aren't germinating or they're being dug up by
"critters" .

in heavy clay soil they may have trouble getting
out of the soil after sprouting. plant two in each
hole and snip one after they get going. or mix a bit
of shredded cardboard or well rotted wood chips into
the soil used to cover the seeds so it isn't so
compacted by watering.

And about that rain thing , if I could I'd for sure send some
your way . We're getting very heavy rain , comes in waves . If you look at
the radar , the lines of thunderstorms that are building and coming from the
west have caused major problems all over Arkansas . We live in north central
, and it rained so hard for a short time yesterday afternoon it overwhelmed
my drainage measures and I had water running across the floor of my machine
shop . Today I have a lot of flash rust on mt machine tools , and I ain't
happy about that .

we had a short downpour yesterday and i was hoping for
more later but they missed us again. still at least we
finally had a bit more than a sprinkle. more rain forecast
and that's good if we get it. will be starting to get
plants and seeds out this week.

Some area are experiencing major flooding , I haven't been out today but
expect our (dirt/gravel) road has a couple of places washed out . Only thing
that keeps it passable is that bedrock is only a couple of inches below the
surface .

we'd have flooding over roads here too if we had as
much rain as you guys have gotten down there recently.

i hope it won't be too much work or disruption to
improve your drainage.

songbird

Old 26-05-2015, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/26/2015 7:31 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I just checked the rain gauge this morning. From 1600 yesterday until
about 0400 this morning we got an even four inches of rain. Had emptied
the gauge yesterday morning so it's accurate. Lots of lightning,
including some chain lightning and lots of tornado reports from the
weather folk but none hit us.

This morning the sun is out and it appears to be coming on a pretty day.