Old 17-06-2015, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default getting there

finally seeing the light at the end of the
planting tunnel. two more gardens to go and
i'll be done. the two that are left are outside
of the fenced area so they are always left
until last.

we've had plenty of rain recently (and i see
that George is getting another round from the
hurricane down there in Texas) with three inches
of rain in the past several days. the ground
is pretty soggy, the ditches are getting full
and some areas along the rivers are flooding.
we had a nice sunny day, a good breeze to keep
the biting flies off and mid 70s temperatures
and not too bad of humidity. compared to
yesterday (hotter and much more humid and not
as much of a breeze) it was beautiful.

more chances of rain yet this week, but that is
ok, as it's nice to have rain instead of using
the well water.

in other news we've been using buckets, ramps
and sunflower seeds to reduce the chipmunk
population. the semi-feral cats have not been
around very much at all and the chipmunks have
been running all over the place. we've captured
18 in six days and there's still plenty more. in
other critter news i thought i'd chased the
groundhogs off last fall but they returned a few
days ago - a whole pile of kits... i've captured
one of them and been using the air rifle to chase
the rest of them off. so far it seems to be
improving (if i want much of a bean crop i have to
fight for it). the rabbits too are very thick.

i should take all of these critters being around
as a good sign and i do as it means the system is
capable of supporting a diversity of life. today
i saw the first large toad i've seen in a long time
and we have a good snake population too (the toad
probably got flooded out of their home in the rocks).

the strawberries came in nice enough this year
and i've been putting up jam and berries in the
freezer. had some folks over to pick Sunday and
they had about 30 quarts when they left. more to
pick yet, but i'm tired today - perhaps tomorrow.
it's about half the crop as compared to last year.

everything else is growing pretty well, having
some sunshine today has helped.

that's the news for this day the middle of June,
hope everyone else is doing well?

songbird
Old 17-06-2015, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/16/2015 7:02 PM, songbird wrote:
finally seeing the light at the end of the
planting tunnel. two more gardens to go and
i'll be done. the two that are left are outside
of the fenced area so they are always left
until last.

we've had plenty of rain recently (and i see
that George is getting another round from the
hurricane down there in Texas) with three inches
of rain in the past several days.

We had almost three inches today Bird, but actually welcome. Managed to
sit out on the front porch awhile at oh dark thirty and it was nice and
cool. I need to get the "magic" screens up on the front and back doors
and let the nice breezes pass through.
[...]

I've not eaten chipmunk because we don't have any here but wild
squirrels and rabbits are in season year around in Texas with large
limits or no limits depending upon which county you're in. All those
critters are very edible and easy to clean, cook, and/or freeze for
later. My father-in-law had a war on with groundhogs back on his old
place. Wife, kids, and I came for a two week visit once and I cleaned
the groundhogs out with his old Stevens .25 caliber falling block rifle.
Being young with good vision and a lifetime of hunting critters helped.
We ate one of them and it was right tasty and traded the rest to a
neighbor for other foods they liked. Growing up in the country people
used to drop their no longer wanted dogs and cats near our house. We
couldn't feed all of them and there was no Humane Society around there
then so we just put them down and buried them. We always had a few barn
cats and a couple of hound dogs just to keep the varmints down.

i should take all of these critters being around
as a good sign and i do as it means the system is
capable of supporting a diversity of life. today
i saw the first large toad i've seen in a long time
and we have a good snake population too (the toad
probably got flooded out of their home in the rocks).

We were sitting on the front porch about two weeks ago, just after
another heavy rain and we heard something singing in the front flower
bed. I poked around and there was a huge toad singing his heart out.
Reckon he was looking for a mate as the water had pooled in the garden
and all the clay bowls we had set out to attract the toads. Every spring
we get hundreds of baby toads hopping around and we're very careful
around them. Useful critters that they are.

the strawberries came in nice enough this year
and i've been putting up jam and berries in the
freezer. had some folks over to pick Sunday and
they had about 30 quarts when they left. more to
pick yet, but i'm tired today - perhaps tomorrow.
it's about half the crop as compared to last year.

everything else is growing pretty well, having
some sunshine today has helped.

that's the news for this day the middle of June,
hope everyone else is doing well?

songbird

We've been meaning to go out to one of the berry farms but it has been
to wet to get in there these past weeks. Maybe this week we can get a
break. Sounds like you've got it all set up the way you want it. If I
were even thirty years younger I would still be living in the boonies as
we did when young.

George
Old 17-06-2015, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

finally seeing the light at the end of the
planting tunnel. two more gardens to go and
i'll be done. the two that are left are outside
of the fenced area so they are always left
until last.

we've had plenty of rain recently (and i see
that George is getting another round from the
hurricane down there in Texas) with three inches
of rain in the past several days.

We had almost three inches today Bird, but actually welcome. Managed to
sit out on the front porch awhile at oh dark thirty and it was nice and
cool. I need to get the "magic" screens up on the front and back doors
and let the nice breezes pass through.
the ground

more on the way by the looks of things. i'm
glad you're on top of the heap there.

[...]

we used to have semi-feral cats going through on a
regular basis, but i've seen them only once so far this
year so either they have passed away or their owners
are keeping them closer to home or ... well, i dunno
why, as we always had good hunting around here for them.
it was rare i'd see one walking away empty handed.

if it were just me, i'd leave them all alone and get
better fencing for the areas i really wanted to protect.

i've never really been much of a hunter other than
fishing and even then it was mostly catch-and-release.
so killing and cleaning animals hasn't been something
i've done a lot of. i could do it if i were starving
and that was all i could find to eat. all these
critters are being buried out back next to the mound
that the roadkill wild turkey made (where the
strawberries will be roaming in the next few years).

for a while there people were abandoning animals
near us too and most of them would be dead within a
short period of time as the country life isn't easy on
them. one kitten i took to the animal shelter and
lucky for it i was just starting to fill out the
paperwork when a lady came in looking for her missing
cat, but i told her i had a very nice kitten in my car
so we walked out to look at it and she took it.

i should take all of these critters being around
as a good sign and i do as it means the system is
capable of supporting a diversity of life. today
i saw the first large toad i've seen in a long time
and we have a good snake population too (the toad
probably got flooded out of their home in the rocks).

We were sitting on the front porch about two weeks ago, just after
another heavy rain and we heard something singing in the front flower
bed. I poked around and there was a huge toad singing his heart out.
Reckon he was looking for a mate as the water had pooled in the garden
and all the clay bowls we had set out to attract the toads. Every spring
we get hundreds of baby toads hopping around and we're very careful
around them. Useful critters that they are.

we used to have a lot more toads, but the mosquito
control people have been treating any standing water
and there is no place for them to reproduce. same
with the frogs... i see and hear a lot more frogs
and really like the tree frogs we have showing up on
the windows at times (going after bugs).

the strawberries came in nice enough this year
and i've been putting up jam and berries in the
freezer. had some folks over to pick Sunday and
they had about 30 quarts when they left. more to
pick yet, but i'm tired today - perhaps tomorrow.
it's about half the crop as compared to last year.

everything else is growing pretty well, having
some sunshine today has helped.

that's the news for this day the middle of June,
hope everyone else is doing well?

We've been meaning to go out to one of the berry farms but it has been
to wet to get in there these past weeks. Maybe this week we can get a
break. Sounds like you've got it all set up the way you want it. If I
were even thirty years younger I would still be living in the boonies as
we did when young.

between the two of us chipping at things it's coming
along ok.

i hope you can get out to pick, but i think for the
short term things are going to be soggy down there!

songbird
Old 17-06-2015, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/17/2015 9:29 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

You said it, overnight we got another three inches of rain and just got
hit by a large thunderstorm that dropped another inch on us. Bill is
still hanging around and some areas are getting hammered. We're about to
venture out to the library, our church, and maybe a wee bit of shopping,
seems to be clearing out here in the boonies (if you can call an area
with a hundred thousand people in it the boonies). At least we don't
have any highrises yet.
Old 18-06-2015, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

i hope you can get out to pick, but i think for the
short term things are going to be soggy down there!

You said it, overnight we got another three inches of rain and just got
hit by a large thunderstorm that dropped another inch on us. Bill is
still hanging around and some areas are getting hammered. We're about to
venture out to the library, our church, and maybe a wee bit of shopping,
seems to be clearing out here in the boonies (if you can call an area
with a hundred thousand people in it the boonies). At least we don't
have any highrises yet.

for many people i think a highrise is a much better
use of the land than the loss of wild spaces overrun
with sprawl.

yesterday i had to change my gardening plans as i
went to work on one garden that was overrun with
good weeds -- with all the recent rains it's too
wet to dig down very deep. the soil is excellent
compared to how it used to be but it will still
stick to the shovel when it gets soggy. i switched
over to the garden that had only a light layer of
weeds on it that i could just scrape and then get
it planted. that leaves me the other garden to do
when i can get back out there and then i'll be on
to more easy tasks (spot weeding, filling in edges
of gardens or scattering seeds around to get some
more ground cover going in the empty spots, etc.)

had a large deer wander through the yard a few
nights ago. didn't see it, but it left some rather
huge prints behind. doesn't look like it ate
anything.

songbird

Old 23-06-2015, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

one last garden project to finish before i can plant
the area. turned out to be a much larger project when
Ma decided to remove the irises i put in the back half
of the area.

i was able to pace and space everything yesterday to
where i could get some digging done, got the seeds and
sprouts watered (wasn't sure it was actually going to
rain), picked some berries and could take breaks to give
my back a rest in between all of that so i could get it
all done right on time for when the rains did finally
come through.

today looks perfect for digging and leveling what is
left to get done and if that goes quickly i'll get it
planted too. if my back is too ****y then i'll plant
tomorrow.

overall the strawberries are winding down, can't
complain even if it was about half the crop compared
to last season. still plenty for us and a few others
who've come to pick. have jam in the freezer and froze
some crushed berries too -- we'll see how well they
work for a mid-winter shortcake sometime.

with the groundhogs around i'm trying to patrol more
often in the early morning and in the evening to make
sure they aren't getting an easy feast from all of those
fresh bean and other sprouts. we'll see how that goes...

songbird