Old 14-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Registered User

Default Garlic stems turning yellow

Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can help me. I planted garlicfor the first time last fall. They did good until the stems started turning yellow and some have yellow streaks going through the stems, the bulbs are small as well.
I dont know if this is a nitrogen deficiency, if so what do I do to help my poor garlic and if thats not the problem can someone please tell me what it is and if there is anything that I can do.
I live in Ontario, Canada in zone 5.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 14-07-2015, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sockiescat wrote:

Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can help me. I planted garlicfor the
first time last fall. They did good until the stems started turning
yellow and some have yellow streaks going through the stems, the bulbs
are small as well.
I dont know if this is a nitrogen deficiency, if so what do I do to help
my poor garlic and if thats not the problem can someone please tell me
what it is and if there is anything that I can do.
I live in Ontario, Canada in zone 5.
Thanks for any help you can give.

getting close to harvest time...

probably too late to make much of a difference for
this year's crop.

what type of garlic did you plant? did you plant
the largest cloves? what kind of space did you have
between the plants? did they get full sunlight and
were they weeded and watered regularly? what kind
of soil?

all of these are factors that go towards having
larger bulbs of garlic.

i haven't noticed the plants needing a huge amount
of fertilizers as my garlic is often grown in areas
that are two or three crops past the addition of
worms and worm castings, but i also do add (or grow in
place organic) material to the soil to help it along
and to keep the worms happy. we have pretty heavy
clay soil in most areas. a lighter sandier soil may
be good for making it easier to harvest but it also
makes it harder to hold nutrients and moisture.

this past spring we had several weeks of dry weather
and so i did have to water the garlic during that time.

songbird
Old 21-07-2015, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sockiescat wrote:

Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can help me. I planted garlicfor the
first time last fall. They did good until the stems started turning
yellow and some have yellow streaks going through the stems, the bulbs
are small as well.
I dont know if this is a nitrogen deficiency, if so what do I do to help
my poor garlic and if thats not the problem can someone please tell me
what it is and if there is anything that I can do.
I live in Ontario, Canada in zone 5.
Thanks for any help you can give.

In a nutshell - it's indicating time to harvest.

Try to harvest while there are still about 3 green leaves on the plant
otherwise the bulb loses the "wrapper" (the the lower part of the leaves
above) and you get dirt in with the cloves, instead of a bulb with
wrapper and dirt outside that.

Waiting won't help, fertilizing won't help (this year), the time is come
(or at least near.) Dig up, keep shaded, cure in shade with plenty of
air for a few weeks.

For next year, space at least 8"/20cm apart and weed well. Plant only
large cloves if you want large heads.