Old 15-08-2015, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preservation equipment question

I bought a dehydrator to preserve veggies and meats . I'm wondering if
there's a way to keep the trays from getting nasty . I ask because I
borrowed one from my neighbor and the trays had a build up of "stuff" that
had been processed in the unit - mostly residue from making jerky . Cooking
spray ? Line the trays with screen or hardware cloth ? Cheesecloth ? Or did
he just not clean his properly after use ?
This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .
--
Snag

Old 15-08-2015, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:05:07 -0400, Derald wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .

I think your neighbor just wasn't as conscientious about cleaning
his as some might have been. I have two ancient 6-tray Nesco "Harvest
Maid" units. A light spraying with Pam or some such definitely will
help with jerky. Some other items (such as tomatoes) might need tray
liners. Nesco sells two types of liners, a fine mesh "clean-a-screen"
and a solid liner intended for fruit leathers but which works with other
items. Home-brew liners may be made from newspaper, wax paper, "kraft"
paper (obsolete paper grocery bags), window screen (not copper) and
"sheer" textile fabrics (voille, cheesecloth, etc.) both work well for
home-brew liners. Any liner will slow the process, a solid liner more
than a mesh liner. If your dryer is a double-wall model, tray liners
will not slow the process significantly but some items will require more
attention because they'll need to be turned or "shaken up" from time to
time since vertical flow through the trays is interrupted. If your
dryer is not a double-wall model, then trade up :-) For just about all
items, slower drying at cooler temperatures produces better results.

I have 3 of the Harvest Maid dehydrators. When I first got mine I
bought plastic "embroidery" sheets and cut them to size. I can take
them out and wash them when too much stuff gets stuck on them.

I usually run 4 to 6 trays when I have a large enough harvest. I
have had in the past, when I had more energy, all 3 machines filled
with all of my trays. I bought many of my extra trays at yard sales.

Boy do I wish I had that much energy again.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 15-08-2015, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/14/2015 11:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I bought a dehydrator to preserve veggies and meats . I'm wondering if
there's a way to keep the trays from getting nasty . I ask because I
borrowed one from my neighbor and the trays had a build up of "stuff" that
had been processed in the unit - mostly residue from making jerky . Cooking
spray ? Line the trays with screen or hardware cloth ? Cheesecloth ? Or did
he just not clean his properly after use ?
This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .

As Derald and Susan said, keep everything clean. I have a twenty-year
old Snackmaster, Jr., bought at a Walmart at a hefty discount that still
works well. I also bought several extra trays that I found at a thrift
store for about five bucks for the lot. I'm not cheap, just thrifty. G

I bought some nylon netting at Hobby Lobby and cut the circles to match
the circular trays and they work great for small items. Mostly the
dehydrator is used to dehydrate herbs and, occasionally, fruit from out
trees.

If you're just starting out keep a watchful eye on the machine as some
of them can really dehydrate something fast. Dear wife uses it
occasionally and always forgets to keep an eye on the process, thence
producing really dry something or the other that is no longer edible. I
tried drying some diced onion once and we cried for an hour so quit
doing that.

Most dehydrators have plastic trays and they can easily be hand washed
when necessary and should be cleaned after each use with fruit and
vegetables. Good luck with your new toy.
Old 15-08-2015, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/15/2015 1:08 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

I also bought several extra trays that I found at a thrift
store for about five bucks for the lot. I'm not cheap, just thrifty. G

Tell me about it. Both dryers and all the additional trays came
from thrift stores or yard sales. Post Y2k finds.
snip

If you're just starting out keep a watchful eye on the machine as some
of them can really dehydrate something fast. Dear wife uses it
occasionally and always forgets to keep an eye on the process, thence
producing really dry something or the other that is no longer edible. I
tried drying some diced onion once and we cried for an hour so quit
doing that.

Oops, I didn't mention temperature control. When they first came
to live with us, the dryers ran hot but were consistent so that with a
little experience usng the tool a person could compensate, I suppose.
However, off/on range was too far from the desired temperature to suit
me. Consistency of temperature control becomes more important as the
food gets drier. What I did was file the bimetal contact to narrow the
range and then bend the base contact until temperature was consistently
closer to the dial indication. The side effect, of course, is that
early in the drying process, temperature might be somewhat lower than
indicated but additional accuracy toward the end compensates by reducing
the risk of overdrying. An old skimmer has to have spent at least one
day working for the MA in the laundry. Remember watching the
thermometers on the dryers? The clothes were dry enough for the Nav
when the temp started rising rapidly.

I think I was many years before your service Derald. We had folks that
washed and dried our clothes for us. When I was a young airman and up
through third class Yeoman I washed and dried my own clothing in the
basement of the barracks at Pax River. Worse thing that ever happened is
some jerk decided to add a red shirt to my load of undress whites, hence
pink uniforms. Had to go buy more bleach and get my knuckles repaired at
the hospital.

Boot camp in Dago in 1957 we washed our clothes on a concrete table with
a scrub brush and strong soap, rinsed, and then ran them up a line
attached to a tall pole. Hundreds of sets of skivvie drawers flying in
the wind. I don't miss those days but most of my mates have gone to
their reward since then.

Just got a weather alert for severe thunderstorms, we can only wish that
it is true, it's over 100F outside at the moment and the clouds we can
see are all white. Weather experts my back end.
Old 15-08-2015, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/14/2015 11:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I bought a dehydrator to preserve veggies and meats . I'm wondering if
there's a way to keep the trays from getting nasty . I ask because I
borrowed one from my neighbor and the trays had a build up of "stuff" that
had been processed in the unit - mostly residue from making jerky . Cooking
spray ? Line the trays with screen or hardware cloth ? Cheesecloth ? Or did
he just not clean his properly after use ?
This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .

My last experience with a similar task was drying some Bulgarian
Carrots, Habs, and misc. other chilis in the oven in preparation for
grinding them into custom pepper. Okay, the wife did all the work, but I
watched without getting in the way. I do recall watching her line
shallow baking pans with parchment paper and placing the peppers on
same. Worked like a champ and we have enough home-ground pepper for the
entire planet.
AD

Old 15-08-2015, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gossiping, was: Preservation equipment question

On 8/15/2015 3:17 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

think I was many years before your service Derald. We had folks that
washed and dried our clothes for us.

USS Boston's last crew and her last WESTPAC ('nam) cruise 69-70.
New crew members normally spent their first week aboard working for
ship's MA (good way to learn one's way around a heavy cruiser). I was a
RM, a "critical" rating, and my division's CPO was the ship's senior PO.
When he discovered he had two radioman aboard he rescued us from the MA
after two or three hours but for those hours I worked in the ship's
laundry operating the extractors ("spin dry") and the dryers.

I was going to be a Aviation Electronics Tech when I went in, got to the
school in Millington, TN and found out that aviation electronics where
huge tubes and hard wired, dropped out deliberately and went on to Pax
River and became a Yeoman, AKA, Titless Typist, was a good job as I also
crewed on prop driven aircraft with VR-1 and got to fly all over the US,
Canada, and the rest of the world for nearly two years. My flying job
was "Flight Orderly," did the weight and balance, looked after
passengers and cargo, nowadays it would be a Load Master. Made E4,
passed the E5 test and got sent to sea on a WWII destroyer, a real sub
chasing gun boat, spent a lot of time sailing out of Newport, RI and up
along the Atlantic ice pack for thirty days and then we would go back to
Newport, get the ship working good again and then to the Caribbean for
thirty days. What a hardship!

Got recalled to active reserves for the Cuban missile crisis in December
1962, got out in June 1963. For that six months in 1963 I got to go to
college on the Vietnam GI Bill, they paid me enough money for that that
my wife finished her last two years on it. I was making good money in a
petrochemical plant and it was a hectic four years what with wife and
kids, work, run a gunsmith shop in what spare time I had, farmed ten
acres, worked swing shift at the plant and college. Good thing I was
young and healthy then. Of course I had the advantage of studying at
work since I ran a lone wolf control room well away from all the bosses
and busy bodies. G

I was intending to be a lifer but fell in love and my wife grew up at
Pax River and wanted no part of being married to a swabbie who would be
deployed three fourths of the time and leave her to take care of the
kids and everything else. Love and lust trumps wanta be a sailor every
time. We will be married 55 years come this December. Guess it all
worked out. Two kids, five grandkids, six great grandkids, and our
eldest granddaughter is getting married soon so there will probably be
more great grands to love and teach.

snip

Boot camp in Dago in 1957 we washed our clothes on a concrete table with
a scrub brush and strong soap, rinsed, and then ran them up a line
attached to a tall pole.

Great Lakes (North Chicago, IL), 1968, same same; hung'em with
clothes stops. On rainy days we used steam heated drying rooms. Of
course, when in school, I did my own on base.

snip

Just got a weather alert for severe thunderstorms, we can only wish that
it is true,

Here's hoping. So far this year, we're ahead of annual "average"
but that doesn't mean much. It'll take more than a few such years to
begin to reduce the groundwater/aquifer deficits. it's over 100F outside
at the moment and the clouds we can

Weather experts my back end.

...and you just noticed?

Naw, I've known it for a long time, TV just makes it worse as they put
these "Emergency" screens on every hour when someone at the weather
bureau sneezes. I think my arthritic back is better at guessing the
weather than the Phd that is on TV.
Old 15-08-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/15/2015 3:56 PM, adule wrote:
[...]

Good man, hope you didn't try to tell her how to do it. Mine gets mad
when I try to help her, the puir thing.
Old 16-08-2015, 08:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

[...]

You are a very lucky man George Shirley - I envy you. Alas my life didn't
turn out as planned - not even close.

[...]

I've been learning to use this site over the last month or so. With a bit of
experience you can soon be better at estimating the future weather than
those performing monkeys on TV;
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....99,30.28,1003
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....99,30.28,1003
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....99,30.28,1003

You can zoom in and out (mousewheel) and click and rotate the earth and see
what's going on in real time. You can click a place on the map and get data
for that point. (Windspeed, total preipitable water and wind power density.)
I centred it over the US for those URLs, you can move it to where you want
it before bookmarking it yourself and the bookmark will store the scale,
lat. and long. that you set

Enjoy.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 16-08-2015, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

[...]

Yeah, have an app for that on this computer, I love it, much more
accurate then the gubmint weather heads. My best friend used to be the
USAF weather guy at Cape Canaveral in the early sixties when they were
shooting astro nuts into space. He later flew "spook" planes in Nam and
retired with 20 years behind him. Now he farms pine trees in Loosyanna.
We talk weather nearly every day. He's four months older than me, puir
old thang.
Old 16-08-2015, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 09:34:25 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

On 8/16/2015 2:16 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:

I've been learning to use this site over the last month or so. With a bit of
experience you can soon be better at estimating the future weather than
those performing monkeys on TV;
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....99,30.28,1003
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....99,30.28,1003
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....99,30.28,1003

You can zoom in and out (mousewheel) and click and rotate the earth and see
what's going on in real time. You can click a place on the map and get data
for that point. (Windspeed, total preipitable water and wind power density.)
I centred it over the US for those URLs, you can move it to where you want
it before bookmarking it yourself and the bookmark will store the scale,
lat. and long. that you set

Enjoy.

Love that site.

Yeah, have an app for that on this computer, I love it, much more
accurate then the gubmint weather heads. My best friend used to be the
USAF weather guy at Cape Canaveral in the early sixties when they were
shooting astro nuts into space. He later flew "spook" planes in Nam and
retired with 20 years behind him. Now he farms pine trees in Loosyanna.
We talk weather nearly every day. He's four months older than me, puir
old thang.

We've fallen behind with weather satellites and that means NOAA cannot
be on its best game. Private weather services in the US buy/use data
from EU sats and sell it commercially and that is often what you see
from a lot of consumer-oriented websites, too.

I am a weather junkie and have at least half a dozen pages I use daily
just for fun. Nothing special, most just give me a better look at
things that affect my own region.

I would never be happy if anyone were harmed, but man o man, I love me
a good storm.

Old 16-08-2015, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/16/2015 9:49 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

I was going to be a Aviation Electronics Tech when I went in, got to the
school in Millington, TN and found out that aviation electronics where
huge tubes and hard wired,

That's funny. I, too, enlisted as a prospective ET but upon
discovering that rating to require six years' obligation up front
decided not to play. Since RMs didn't handle heavy objects and worked
in air conditioned spaces, that was OK with me. Once one grew
accustomed to a world of total adolescent BS, life aboard the cruiser
wasn't too bad, although a bit hectic when we were on station. Naval
gunfire support in South China Sea: Boomiddy boom boom take that you
dirty hostile trees. Upkeep at Subic Bay, Philippines. Olongapo City,
outside the Subic base, was the first town-sized armpit I'd ever seen.

Flew in and out of the Philippines a few times, liked the people, didn't
like Subic at all, was an armpit back in my day too.
The remainder of my hitch, though, was aboard a (relatively) small ASR
(submarine "rescue" vessel) at Key West, FL. As a FL native, man, I was
home and Key West in the late '60s-early '70s was exactly what you might
imagine... Duty there was rough: We actually had to install a defunct
submarine's "reefer" into our ship's laundry in order to store
additional bait so that we could extend our "training" cruises ;-) Not
a bad life (which is not to say that it was a good life) but the women
were all ashore back in Key West. I've often thought that Navy vessels
should have a couple of divisions of ship's whores.

You needed a Caribbean cruise man, a cat house in every port with
advertisements just outside the dock area. Five bucks went a long way
back then.
One "real" winter spent in MD and another in MA were enough for me:
Never again. I simply won't go to a place where snow falls, even for "a
job".

I hit Pax River in January 1958, snow up to your butt. At age eighteen I
had NEVER seen snow in my life. Just didn't happen in my part of Texas.
I thought it was the greatest stuff I had ever seen until I had to live
in it for a couple of years. Southern Maryland back then was relatively
rural, that's where I met and married my wife and her siblings still
live there. Then I went to to Rhode Island, Holy Moly, we had to chip
ice off the ship. I've never been back there.
I married relatively late in life and am not a "family man". Have
one son from my wild oats days. First met him when he was 36 or
thereabouts and we communicated for a few years but aside from biology
we're not "family". He has some kids but I don't know them. Have
family within 50-or-so miles, used to see them at funerals but no longer
bother. If you've seen one funeral... Siblings elsewhere in the
country but they live in places where it snows so that takes care of
that.

As far as I know the only kids I have are legitimate and now close by.
We taught our two to garden, milk cows and goats, butcher critters for
dinner, fish and hunt, clean up after themselves, do chores, etc. Our
kids found out the neighbors kids got an allowance and they asked for
one. They were quickly told that they were allowed to live with us,
allowed to eat our food, allowed to go to school, allowed to mow, work
in the garden, milk the critters, etc. and that was all the allowance
they would ever get other then being allowed to stay alive. End of
story. Both are in their early fifties now, one's an Assistant School
Principal, the other is the purchasing manager for a major hospital
system. I reckon they grew up properly.

Life is really good.
Old 16-08-2015, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Rode out a few Gulf of Mexico hurricanes, had a tornado hit us lightly
once, but nowadays if word from gubmint is to evacuate, we evacuate,
getting to old to hunker down and take it. We were hoping for rain
yesterday based on the weather heads, instead we got a nice cool breeze
blowing through for about two hours and overcast skies. Almost as good
as rain. We're currently having TV problems that I thought might be from
the Mexican volcano eruption, now I'm thinking the DVR is getting to hot
so put a small fan facing it. Yup, cooled it down and everything works
like it is supposed to do. Since it's illegal for me to repair the
providers equipment will call them tomorrow and get a new DVR instead.
These big TV "providers" are basically cheap Charlies in disguise.
Old 16-08-2015, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I bought a dehydrator to preserve veggies and meats . I'm wondering if
there's a way to keep the trays from getting nasty . I ask because I
borrowed one from my neighbor and the trays had a build up of "stuff" that
had been processed in the unit - mostly residue from making jerky . Cooking
spray ? Line the trays with screen or hardware cloth ? Cheesecloth ? Or did
he just not clean his properly after use ?
This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .

Soak/wash/rinse. They get nasty by default with anything that's "juicy"
- certainly with tomato juice I don't bother to wash them until the
season is over (or before the next thing, if the season has left me out
of energy.) Jerky juice I might feel a bit different about, but I have
not yet felt the need to make jerky, and it's old enough that all the
white plastic has yellowed... ;-) I'm not going to pick it up and find
the model number, but it's the old model with white, round trays that
came with 4 and can be expanded to 12 - and has been. Got some of the
"removable center" trays and it gets some use in the off-season as a
yogurt maker.

I don't think I'd add cooking spray to the process. I certainly don't,
and everything comes off with a soak & wash. Beware that they get
brittle with age, so scrub gently if you need to scrub, or just soak
more.

Have doe up two batches of yellow transparent apples in the past few
weeks - they improve with drying, though the peeling and slicing can be
interesting (things go to over-ripe in a heartbeat, and lose structural
integrity when they do.) No way to use the peeler-corer-slicer with them
(few would be hard enough) - OTOH, sliced thicker than it does and left
long enough to dry, one gets more apples dried at one batch that way
than on ones that can go though it.

Old 17-08-2015, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

[...]

That's good then. I only discovered it a few weeks back when I saw the URL
in the background on a map the weather girl was pointing at.

My best friend used to be the
USAF weather guy at Cape Canaveral in the early sixties when they were
shooting astro nuts into space. He later flew "spook" planes in Nam
and retired with 20 years behind him. Now he farms pine trees in
Loosyanna. We talk weather nearly every day. He's four months older
than me, puir old thang.

Wow!!! Still I bet talking with him makes you feel young.