Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Red Rippers

Just had some for lunch ... these were from my garden , and this is the
first time I've tried them . Cooked them in the little crock pot for about 3
hours after an overnight soak . Seasoned with some ham scraps , garlic ,
onion , and salt & pepper. I used too much pepper ...
What *are* Red Rippers you ask ? They're field peas , a member of the bean
family , and a cousin of blacke eyed peas . Much tastier than their cousin
too , IMO . They'll be on my list for next summer fersher !
--
Snag

Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Just had some for lunch ... these were from my garden , and this is
the first time I've tried them . Cooked them in the little crock pot
for about 3 hours after an overnight soak . Seasoned with some ham
scraps , garlic , onion , and salt & pepper. I used too much pepper
... What *are* Red Rippers you ask ? They're field peas , a member
of the bean family , and a cousin of blacke eyed peas . Much tastier
than their cousin too , IMO . They'll be on my list for next summer
fersher !

They'll do but you ain't et nothin' 'til "zipper cream" or brown
conchs. Seasoned as above but without the alium and with a small
handful of okra on top. A couple of spiney gumbo okras at the start
and a few more small-to-medium tender gus just cooking-time before
the peas is done. Oh, man: Just thinking about it is going to cause
me to bake some cornbread before bedtime to go with the leftover
peas'n in the fridge. See what you've done?

Chaos , mayhem , and disorder , my work here is finished ... evil grin I
was visiting earlier with a friend who is opening a sandwich shop in town ,
he's the first person I've mentioned RR's to that knew what they were .
Almost invited himself over for lunch ! So I carried what we didn't eat for
lunch to the shop , but he was gone for the day . His partner put them in
the cooler , I expect to hear from him tomorrow .

--
Snag