Old 31-10-2015, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter Cover?

What to plant in a garden over the Winter?
Old 31-10-2015, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 9:47 AM, Davej wrote:
What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

Depends on your climate. Ours is moderate in winter mostly and we grow
winter crops. Stuff like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc.
Right now we still have eggplant, cucumbers, and tomatoes still
producing. First frost can't be far off now.

Old 31-10-2015, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 08:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/31/2015 9:47 AM, Davej wrote:
What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

Depends on your climate. Ours is moderate in winter mostly and we grow
winter crops. Stuff like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc.
Right now we still have eggplant, cucumbers, and tomatoes still
producing. First frost can't be far off now.

Monday, I am suppose to get down to 29F. It will
kill everything in my garden except the Garlic.

Any suggestions as to my winder climate: Norther Nevada?
Winter days 40's to 50's Nights 20 to 30. Extreme
nights to zero.

Old 31-10-2015, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 4:30 PM, T wrote:
On 10/31/2015 08:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/31/2015 9:47 AM, Davej wrote:
What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

Depends on your climate. Ours is moderate in winter mostly and we grow
winter crops. Stuff like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc.
Right now we still have eggplant, cucumbers, and tomatoes still
producing. First frost can't be far off now.

Monday, I am suppose to get down to 29F. It will
kill everything in my garden except the Garlic.

Any suggestions as to my winder climate: Norther Nevada?
Winter days 40's to 50's Nights 20 to 30. Extreme
nights to zero.

Oh well, not every one is able to live in Paradise, aka Texas. G

George, Native American, Native Texican
Old 31-10-2015, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 04:31 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/31/2015 4:30 PM, T wrote:
On 10/31/2015 08:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/31/2015 9:47 AM, Davej wrote:
What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

Depends on your climate. Ours is moderate in winter mostly and we grow
winter crops. Stuff like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc.
Right now we still have eggplant, cucumbers, and tomatoes still
producing. First frost can't be far off now.

Monday, I am suppose to get down to 29F. It will
kill everything in my garden except the Garlic.

Any suggestions as to my winder climate: Norther Nevada?
Winter days 40's to 50's Nights 20 to 30. Extreme
nights to zero.

Oh well, not every one is able to live in Paradise, aka Texas. G

George,

Native American

What tribe?

, Native Texican

Is that in the United States? Do they have a football team?

:-)

-T

Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 4:30 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Cherokee on Mother's side, Choctaw on Dad's, none of us were ever
registered with a tribe. Each parent was half white, half Native
American. Both Mom's parents were half Cherokee/half white, Dad's dad
was full blood Choctaw, married to a white woman, a blond at that. Never
made any difference to us, we're just full blood Americans.

Texican is the old word for Texan, born in Texas, most likely will die
here. Worked in two different Arab Gulf countries, lived and worked in
several states, pure D oil field trash, third generation.

We've been sitting on the front porch, handing out Halloween candy, dawg
tried to defend the candy basket so put her back in the house.

Rain stopped earlier today, thank goodness, lots of folks south of us
got flooded, hit by high winds and tornadoes. Glad we picked this end of
Harris Cty, Texas to move to. Plus we're nearly three hours closer to
our kids, grands, and great grands but I do miss rural Louisiana and the
slow pace there. Not to mention the excellent fishing, fresh and salt
water, all within a thirty minute drive.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:

What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

what area?

around here winter wheat and winter rye are
both good winter crops to turn under in the
spring. the garlic is planted, but i've vastly
downsized my planting this year for next
summer's harvest.

most of what i'll be doing the next few weeks
for planting will be digging in some leaves.

songbird
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:30:43 -0700, T wrote:

On 10/31/2015 08:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/31/2015 9:47 AM, Davej wrote:
What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

Depends on your climate. Ours is moderate in winter mostly and we grow
winter crops. Stuff like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc.
Right now we still have eggplant, cucumbers, and tomatoes still
producing. First frost can't be far off now.

Monday, I am suppose to get down to 29F. It will
kill everything in my garden except the Garlic.

Any suggestions as to my winder climate: Norther Nevada?
Winter days 40's to 50's Nights 20 to 30. Extreme
nights to zero.

Here in western Washington state I overwinter with rye grass and hairy vetch.
Not 'common' vetch - it is considerably less tolerant of cold. I'm not sure
if any would survive 0degF, maybe with a protective cover/mulch.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 4:30 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Spend about a year in San Antonio with the Air Force in the seventies.

We've been sitting on the front porch, handing out Halloween candy, dawg
tried to defend the candy basket so put her back in the house.

Rain stopped earlier today, thank goodness, lots of folks south of us
got flooded, hit by high winds and tornadoes. Glad we picked this end of
Harris Cty, Texas to move to. Plus we're nearly three hours closer to
our kids, grands, and great grands but I do miss rural Louisiana and the
slow pace there. Not to mention the excellent fishing, fresh and salt
water, all within a thirty minute drive.

hopefully the rains have finally let up!

We got a whole inch last week! (typically seven inches per year.)
and ALL the weeds decided to sprout!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/01/2015 04:20 PM, Derald wrote:
Davej wrote:

What to plant in a garden over the Winter?

I plant onion seeds Sept-Oct. to have transplants in Dec-Jan. From now
'til late February, I can plant:
broccoli (frequently a waste of time—too warm);
broccoli raab (rapini)
beets;
Brussel's sprouts (usually a waste of time—too warm);
cabbage;
cannabis;
cauliflower;
collards;
kale;
mustard greens;
spinach;
turnips;
Swiss chard (silver beets);
peas;
marjoram;
thyme;
parsley;
sage;
oregano;
bok choy;
celery (frequently a waste of time—too warm);
carrots;
open head lettuce;
crisp head lettuce (usually a waste of time, though—too warm)
potatoes;
maybe more that I can't recall off-hand.

How cold do your nights get?

Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/06/2015 07:30 PM, Derald wrote:
T wrote:

How cold do your nights get?

Not very. Had a low of 25° (F) on Jan 23 this year; a little
frost, no ice. Mid 70's (10:15 PM) now. Not likely to need a fire
until much later this month or perhaps December. Typical "winter"
nights are mid 40's-high 30's. Mid 30's or colder occurs infrequently
and rarely on consecutive nights. The values shown at the weatherbase
site are close enough:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...tes-of-America
Most years, we don't have enough contiguous chilly weather for Brussel's
sprouts, crisphead lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli to do well. Most
years, I don't even attempt sprouts or heading lettuce but frequently
have enough success with an "early" (short-season) broccoli and
cauliflower that I continue to plant them and just keep trying until
seeds germinate.

I think it is time for me to start plotting and scheming about
next years plant.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/31/2015 4:30 PM, T wrote:
[...]

It's raining here again, wife is off to Art in the Park at noon, if the
rain stops she will be displaying her watercolors in hope of selling
them. I will be curled up with a warm dawg and a nice sci fi book.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

[...]

That's what winter is for for gardeners. That and perusing the seed
catalogs that will be coming in shortly. We're always trying something
new for our climate, might be some new stuff in the catalogs.

BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG
Old 07-11-2015, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/07/2015 06:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG

Sort of like a hypochondriac reading over a vitamin web site?

I want Zucchini seeds that are powder mold resistant and squash
bug repellent and that taste good. Ya, I know, lots of luck!
Suppose I should hit the seed catalogs. uh oh!
Old 08-11-2015, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2015 3:22 PM, T wrote:
On 11/07/2015 06:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG

Sort of like a hypochondriac reading over a vitamin web site?

I want Zucchini seeds that are powder mold resistant and squash
bug repellent and that taste good. Ya, I know, lots of luck!
Suppose I should hit the seed catalogs. uh oh!

Do a Google search for seed catalogs, lots of boutique companies out
there and lots of heirloom seeds available. I have lots of them bookmarked.