Old 23-11-2015, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Goodbye with mixed feelings

In article , says...

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 21:19:25 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a
news client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or
not.

As other posters have already mentioned,
there are plenty of free Usenet clients.
I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).

There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client,
but it will get you here.

Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never
disappoint.

If you find something online that you like better, please
come back and tell us about it.

Sorry, that kill files are all that we have.
I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never
anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.

No kill files available on most online forums I've seem.

Is that English... do you mean no kill files 'are' available?
Usenet does not supply killfiles, killfiles are available on
newsreaders, typically the free news readers do not have killfile
ability. However there's really no need to use a killfile at
rec.gardens, spam is very rare, and posts are rather sparse, often
days pass with no posts... and it's pretty easy to not read posts from
those posters you'd rather not read, just delete those posts unread.

Pretty clear english except for one typo. Show me a couple online forums that
offer kill files if you disagree. Obviously, I don't mean online repetitions of
usenet forums, but even there kill files are not an option I've seen.
\

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you
see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to that
effect.
Old 23-11-2015, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:28:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you
see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to that
effect.

IMDB is now another site that wants either your credit card or phone
details to sign up, as I discovered the other day. No thanks...
Old 23-11-2015, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 15:02:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Once upon a time on usenet SG1 wrote:
"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 16/11/2015 9:58 AM, SG1 wrote:
Hello SG1! Good to see you again :-)))

Unlike many I post only when I have something to say.

Amen!

I'll now forever think of Mr Ed when I think of SG1.
Old 23-11-2015, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

On 16/11/2015 9:58 AM, SG1 wrote:
Hello SG1! Good to see you again :-)))

Unlike many I post only when I have something to say.

Amen!

I'll now forever think of Mr Ed when I think of SG1.

No horsing around or I will nag U.

Old 28-11-2015, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

[...]

That makes 2. Not exactly a demonstration of equal features between web page and
usenet discussion forums.

Old 30-11-2015, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:22:55 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

.. .

On 16/11/2015 9:58 AM, SG1 wrote:
Hello SG1! Good to see you again :-)))

Unlike many I post only when I have something to say.

Amen!

I'll now forever think of Mr Ed when I think of SG1.

No horsing around or I will nag U.

You've been taking lessons from my ex?
Old 30-11-2015, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 16:23:18 -0500, Brooklyn1
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 07:36:10 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:46:37 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

I have been using usenet for decades now and regularly on these two NGs for
about 12 years as far as I recall. I have learned much and I hope sometimes
taught something useful. At times it has been real fun and I felt a
comradeship with people who I will never meet in the flesh. There has
always been some noise, a background of posts that were a waste of time and
some posters who were always or nearly always a waste of time. On the whole
it was worthwhile.

But usenet is dying. The number of posters reduces every year. It seems
there are too few good ones left to maintain critical mass. There has
always been the ignorant the foolish and the arrogant but now the proportion
has grown in the population and so the signal to noise ratio has declined.
For those who say you can always plonk the idiots and the terminally toxic,
the problem is by the time you do that there isn't much left. I have been
reading and posting less and less.

Aside from the general decline in numbers the core problem is those who want
to abuse the system for fun or profit. Spammers and the selfish are with us
in every medium and you need to cope with that somehow. In this respect
interfaces where users must be identified and can be banned by
administrators for either reason have an advantage but clearly this
winnowing is never completely effective. Nonetheless most NGs survived a
long time without resorting to moderation - but no more. Smaller groups (eg
aus.gardens) have shrunk to the point where they are pretty much useless and
the energy isn't there to amalgamate or reorganise to groups with sufficient
mass to continue. The medium has had its day, Sadly.

The sad, the sick, the crazy and the selfish are sometimes amusing but often
just annoying and time wasting. Their common characteristic is they have
no appreciation of their own behaviour. In real life there are consequences
to bad behaviour in society, nobody will talk to you if you go far enough.
The medium to some extent enables the socially ill by providing real-life
anonymity, allowing nymshifting and seeming like people are not actually
real, they are just streams of electrons out in the ether.

If you are sick enough to spend all your efforts getting attention by being
a turd then usenet will make it possible. If (however well meaning you may
be) you feel it your bounden duty to jam your politics, religion or
wackiness down the throats of an international audience then you can do it
here. If you are 15 years old (in years or attitude) you can perversely get
an ego massage wasting the time of good people who just want to talk about
plants. It no longer seems possible to agree to disagree, you must have the
last word and go over the same ground again and again. The dead horse is no
longer getting beaten but a hole in the ground where the dust of the horse
used to be must be assailed daily. The extremists of the left and right of
US politics are both blind the fact that around the world NOBODY ****ING
CARES about your sectarian poison. You are both safe and warm in your
respective blankets ( red and blue to be sure) of national, social and moral
insularity - a plaque on both your houses.

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a news client
so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or not. My decision is
to not. I will probably stop reading here within a month when my old PC
gets retired.

Most will not care which is fine. To those who have shared their knowledge,
experience and goodwill, thanks and fare thee well. May your seed always
germinate, your tomatoes be tasty and your flowers waft their perfume over
your life.

That's one of the more cogent comments on the current situation that
I've seen. I'm rapidly losing interest as well, there's very few
groups with posters that are worth reading or communicating with any
more.

Of course, this has been going on for years now, but lately... for me
Usenet hasn't never been at such a low point as it is right now.

When you think about it, there isn't a better venue on the Internet
for those purely into conflict, trolling or just plain arguing. So as
long time genuine posters bail, the signal to noise ratio has
deteriorated.

And any new blood finding their way onto Usenet is coming from
technically inept google group users... enough said there.

It ain't looking terribly good at this stage.

That's because most of the dimwitted/non contributers are now
facebooking. I've always found it ironic when some say they have
learned here but those are the information takers who rarely if ever
have contributed. They flap their gums about gardening but seem to
have nothing to contribute, not even a single photo of their garden.

LOL Sheldon, you say the same thing in rfc...

Perhaps it's best they depart and create a vaccuum that will suck in
real gardeners, who talk less but demonstrate more. Imagine, someone
types over a thousand words about why they are leaving because it's
other's fault but hasn't spent nearly that much effort in meaningful
contributions. The truth is facebooking requires much of ones time,
facebookers don't have time for usenet... facebookers really enjoy
that inane soap opera. I spent a day looking around at facebook, all
BSing morons out lying each other.

I'm currently using a friend's Faecebook account to sell a car, it's
even worse now than when I last looked a year ago.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you
see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to that
effect.

IMDB is now another site that wants either your credit card or phone
details to sign up, as I discovered the other day. No thanks...

If you've ever bought anything off of Amazon then they already have that
information.

Does IMDB have account details from Amazon? That sounds rather
unethical...

Yes, Amazon owns IMDB:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database
I would not expect them to share personal account details between the
two though.

Old 13-12-2015, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

wrote:

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you
see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to that
effect.

IMDB is now another site that wants either your credit card or phone
details to sign up, as I discovered the other day. No thanks...

If you've ever bought anything off of Amazon then they already have that
information.

Does IMDB have account details from Amazon? That sounds rather
unethical...

Yes, Amazon owns IMDB:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database
I would not expect them to share personal account details between the
two though.

You can sign in using an amazon account, a gmail account, a facebook
account, or an account specific to IMDB. I would be very surprised if
there was any internal isolation between the different kinds of
accounts.
Old 13-12-2015, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:45:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

wrote:

[...]

Yes, you're most likley right about that. Presumably they have some
sort of disclosure somewhere (not that I am all *that* concerned).

In future I'll use my Amazon login details - not that I really need to
login very often as I rarely post there. Thanks very much for the
great info
Old 13-12-2015, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On 12/13/2015 12:22 AM, Je�us wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:45:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

wrote:

[...]

I only use IMDB for research and generally don't have to sign in. I like
it better for that than I do Wicki. I've had an Amazon Prime account for
many years, seldom ever have a problem other than the USPS losing
shipped items. But, then, they lose my prescription drugs on a regular
basis.
Old 16-12-2015, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 08:15:29 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

On 12/13/2015 12:22 AM, Je?us wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:45:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

wrote:

[...]

Same here, a bit of research and that's about it.

I like
it better for that than I do Wicki. I've had an Amazon Prime account for
many years, seldom ever have a problem other than the USPS losing
shipped items. But, then, they lose my prescription drugs on a regular
basis.

I'm in Australia and have never bought pharmaceuticals online. I
seldom buy much from Amazon these days, but used to buy a lot of music
and DVDs from there 15 years ago. Can't recall losing any shipments
from Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter, come to think of it).
Better go and touch some wood, now that I've said that...
Old 16-12-2015, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

On 12/13/2015 12:22 AM, Je?us wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:45:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

wrote:

[...]

My Medicare provider is ten miles away, generally the meds they send me
make it here. Insulin is delivered by courier and I have to sign for it.
Kelsey-Seybold Medicare Advantage Plan is very good at what they do. The
only five star Medicare Plan in the US of A.

The problem with the U.S. Postal Service is that it is heavily unionized
and the post masters are afraid of the union. I have lived in other
states where the post masters do a good job but the ones here in Harris
County, Texas are a bunch of fraidy cats. I generally have to call the
post mistress about once every three or four months looking for my mail
that I knew was coming. We have learned to ship Christmas presents to
relatives in other states by United Parcel Service, UPS does a good job
of getting things where they're supposed to be. If we ship them USPS
they seem to disappear easily. I suspect there are a lot of postal
carriers that have sticky fingers.

My Feelings About Organic EVP MAN Gardening 22 10-02-2011 05:43 PM
Debate Over Plants Having Feelings [email protected] Plant Science 5 31-10-2007 07:58 PM
Do you still get warm and fuzzy feelings from your plants? Warner B Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-04-2005 01:52 PM
Plants feelings Helen United Kingdom 76 25-08-2004 11:52 PM
[IBC] Bpnsai feelings, was/Chye Tan: The Spirit of Bonsai Design Kitsune Miko Bonsai 6 21-01-2004 02:13 AM