Old 16-11-2015, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Goodbye with mixed feelings

On 11/15/2015 7:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:16:22 -0600, adule wrote:

On 11/15/2015 4:58 PM, SG1 wrote:

"adule" wrote in message
I have been using usenet for decades now ...snip...]

I've been on usenet for many years. I usually post in the group
alt.narcissists.text. BTW, are you leaving because of something I said?

ADule

It is what you did not say...

I knew that.

Not to worry, people leave Newsgroups, and have to announce it yet,
because they have very thin skin... usenet is much better off without
them.

I'm leaving.
Going to watch the Walking Dead.
Be back tomorrow.
Old 16-11-2015, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On 14/11/2015 11:45 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a news client
so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or not. My decision is
to not. I will probably stop reading here within a month when my old PC
gets retired.

Most will not care which is fine. To those who have shared their knowledge,
experience and goodwill, thanks and fare thee well. May your seed always
germinate, your tomatoes be tasty and your flowers waft their perfume over
your life.

For someone who claims to be subsribed for as long as you claim you
are demonstating an exceptionately shallow intellect... usenet is no
different now from how it's always been.

Oh yes it is different! But you are still the same old curmudgeon you
have always been.

Old 16-11-2015, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On 14/11/2015 10:46 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a news
client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or not. My
decision is to not. I will probably stop reading here within a month
when my old PC gets retired.

???? I'm not really computer literate but I use eternal setember and I
managed to get it onto this machine and am using it without having spent
a cent to get it here and working so you might want to check it out
before making your final decision.

Most will not care which is fine. To those who have shared their
knowledge, experience and goodwill, thanks and fare thee well. May your
seed always germinate, your tomatoes be tasty and your flowers waft
their perfume over your life.

Thank you David. I have missed your posts here already and had noticed
already that you were seldom posting. I have always enjoyed your posts
- intelligent, thoughtful and informative and based on experience not
googling. What more could one want. But I do understand. US politics
is infesting another group in which I post and despite the offenders
being told in no uncertain fashion that US politics is off topic,
unwelcome and not of any interest to anyone in that ng (since it is an
aus only group) there is no way the offenders will stop their cross
posting.

All the best. May your animals always be well grazed, your garden
abundant and may global warming not impact on you or yours.

Old 16-11-2015, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On 16/11/2015 9:58 AM, SG1 wrote:

It is what you did not say...

Hello SG1! Good to see you again :-)))
Old 16-11-2015, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 16/11/2015 9:58 AM, SG1 wrote:

It is what you did not say...

Hello SG1! Good to see you again :-)))

Unlike many I post only when I have something to say.

Old 16-11-2015, 10:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

GDay Fran

A few people have focussed on the issue of the newsreader and skipped over
the rest of what I said. I could use a free one, I could buy one, I could
easily make time to set it up, that isn't the issue. Perhaps I wasn't
clear - having to make a small effort wasn't the reason to quit that was
just the stimulus to think about what I do with my time and to make a
decision. So I looked at what is happening and decided to give it away.

Should you (or a few others) want to stay in touch you can reach me via
email on (yes a bunch of rabid greenies but
you probably guessed that already). That contact email is not my personal
email but it is well polluted by spam and nonsense already because it
appears in plain text on the corresponding publicly accessible website.
Most of the dross goes straight to junk but it is checked by humans and a
message there will reach me and be kept private.

Best wishes

-
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

Old 16-11-2015, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

It's like going to the zoo Fran, Please don't feed the animals. Sheldon
has been floating around UseNet since the nineties trying to start
arguments.
Old 16-11-2015, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

So's Sara and the late Billy.
Old 16-11-2015, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

In article
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have been using usenet for decades now and regularly on these two NGs for
about 12 years as far as I recall. I have learned much and I hope sometimes
taught something useful. At times it has been real fun and I felt a
comradeship with people who I will never meet in the flesh. There has
always been some noise, a background of posts that were a waste of time and
some posters who were always or nearly always a waste of time. On the whole
it was worthwhile.

But usenet is dying. The number of posters reduces every year. It seems
there are too few good ones left to maintain critical mass. There has
always been the ignorant the foolish and the arrogant but now the proportion
has grown in the population and so the signal to noise ratio has declined.

Usenet has certainly gone through many rounds of transformation.
I am a little taken aback to do the math and find that I've been
posting to Usenet for 30 years (plus a month or two, I guess). And
I don't really think of myself as an old-timer (just an old-fart).

There have been many waves of "personality" (for lack of a perfect
term) as to who is coming in and who is leaving.

In retrospect, I guess it was a generatoional thing in ways. It
rose with a one group, transformed with another and then got more
and more grafitti on the walls.

As for dying, I can't really draw a line. Both it and I will die
in this century. I'm just not sure which one of us will go first.

I still think it is a medium superior to web forums, and for exactly
the same reasons that Facebook and such don't like it -- no one owns
Usenet.

--
Drew Lawson | If dreams were thunder,

Old 16-11-2015, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/16/2015 2:13 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

[...]

Amen. I think I started in 1990 or close to it, seems like forever. Some
of the newsgroups I've been on were taken over by the crazies and I
moved on to something else. There are still a few that aren't full of
stuff that is irrelevant.

Threatened rain this morning but, alas, it moved off somewhere else.
Winter garden doing well and the !@#$% sweet peppers, tomatoes, and
eggplant planted in early spring are still putting on fruit. I chopped
and froze about five lbs of sweet peppers yesterday. May not need to
grow anymore next year, Nah! I like them fresh too.

Old 17-11-2015, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

:-)) Yep, that's typically usenet.

I could use a free one, I could buy one,
I could easily make time to set it up, that isn't the issue. Perhaps I
wasn't clear - having to make a small effort wasn't the reason to quit
that was just the stimulus to think about what I do with my time and to
make a decision. So I looked at what is happening and decided to give
it away.

Fair enough. I should spend more time doing more useful things too.

I find usenet and the Internet provide a good break from doing other
chores or form the heat or the cold. I can sit down for a while but
still get things done by using a kitchen timer. I set it if things need
to be checked on (like things on the stove top or in the oven or rising
or to go out and move hoses or to go and spend 15 minutes doing X and
then sit for 15 mins or.......)

Should you (or a few others) want to stay in touch you can reach me via
email on (yes a bunch of rabid greenies
but you probably guessed that already). That contact email is not my
personal email but it is well polluted by spam and nonsense already
because it appears in plain text on the corresponding publicly
accessible website. Most of the dross goes straight to junk but it is
checked by humans and a message there will reach me and be kept private.

Thank you David. I may (or may not) take you up on that offer. Enjoy
your increased time away from the screen.
Old 17-11-2015, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On 17/11/2015 7:13 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

I still think it is a medium superior to web forums, and for exactly
the same reasons that Facebook and such don't like it -- no one owns
Usenet.

Agreed. FB is a PITA.

Old 17-11-2015, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

I know Sheldon well. He and I used to both post in a group called
misc.rural many years ago. He hasnt'changede and is always the same. A
curmudgeon who has neat lawns and likes powered equipment.
Old 20-11-2015, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a news
client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or not.

As other posters have already mentioned,
there are plenty of free Usenet clients.
I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).

There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client,
but it will get you here.

Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never
disappoint.

If you find something online that you like better, please
come back and tell us about it.

Sorry, that kill files are all that we have.
I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never
anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.

No kill files available on most online forums I've seem.

My Feelings About Organic EVP MAN Gardening 22 10-02-2011 04:43 PM
Debate Over Plants Having Feelings [email protected] Plant Science 5 31-10-2007 06:58 PM
Do you still get warm and fuzzy feelings from your plants? Warner B Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-04-2005 12:52 PM
Plants feelings Helen United Kingdom 76 25-08-2004 10:52 PM
[IBC] Bpnsai feelings, was/Chye Tan: The Spirit of Bonsai Design Kitsune Miko Bonsai 6 21-01-2004 01:13 AM