Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sweet chilies

Despite a couple of light freezes we picked about 20 Gypsy chilies
today. Will harvest the first broccoli head this weekend and the lone
cauliflower is heading. Swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, and other greens
are doing well so we're eating fresh greens daily.

Temps in the low sixties today, feels almost like spring, a little rain
would help. Discovered a few earthworms whilst digging in the raised
beds today. Seems the seeding we did back in early spring is somewhat of
a success.

Harvested most of the kumquats early in the week and made four pints of
marmalade. Do wish the tree would grow faster. G We did put up
eighteen pints of fig jam over the summer and the tree isn't over five
feet tall yet.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:46:58 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

Despite a couple of light freezes we picked about 20 Gypsy chilies
today. Will harvest the first broccoli head this weekend and the lone
cauliflower is heading. Swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, and other greens
are doing well so we're eating fresh greens daily.

Temps in the low sixties today, feels almost like spring, a little rain
would help. Discovered a few earthworms whilst digging in the raised
beds today. Seems the seeding we did back in early spring is somewhat of
a success.

Harvested most of the kumquats early in the week and made four pints of
marmalade. Do wish the tree would grow faster. G We did put up
eighteen pints of fig jam over the summer and the tree isn't over five
feet tall yet.

I have a kumquat sitting in my kitchen. Darn thing is at most- 2 feet
tall and covered with kumquats. Dunno how many or even IF any of them
will ripen, but it sure is fun to watch the darn things grow.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Ours is about four feet tall right now. The one we had where we lived
before was seven feet tall and about nine feet in diameter. It was about
ten years old when we moved away. Used to harvest a couple of five
gallon buckets of fruit annually from it. Lots of good marmalade plus we
deseeded many and ran them through the food sieve to make cakes and
pies. I do miss our 22 year old garden we had there but it is better
here, no more three hour drives to see our children, grandchildren, and
great grands for a day. Now the little demons are here all the time. G

I like kumquats right off the tree, my folks had one eons ago and we
mostly ate the fruit fresh and had contests on who could spit the seeds
the farthest.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Kumquats, raw:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1935/2

I wonder what they mean by "without refuse"?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

The seed spitting is one of the fruit's major advantages.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Most likely referring to the stem and seeds. We always wash our fruit to
get the bug saliva off of them. G
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

You get extra points for putting a seed in someone's ear.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/10/2015 12:46 PM, George Shirley wrote:
Despite a couple of light freezes we picked about 20 Gypsy chilies
today. Will harvest the first broccoli head this weekend and the lone
cauliflower is heading. Swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, and other greens
are doing well so we're eating fresh greens daily.

Temps in the low sixties today, feels almost like spring, a little rain
would help. Discovered a few earthworms whilst digging in the raised
beds today. Seems the seeding we did back in early spring is somewhat of
a success.

Harvested most of the kumquats early in the week and made four pints of
marmalade. Do wish the tree would grow faster. G We did put up
eighteen pints of fig jam over the summer and the tree isn't over five
feet tall yet.

Hi George,

Okay, not that I can grow a sweet chili for my life, or any
other pepper for that manner, but the ones at the store
all taste like bell peppers.

What do your taste like?

Usually home grown always taste far better, except for turnips,
which, tongue under the faucet, taste worse.

-T
Old 11-12-2015, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/10/2015 10:24 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Depends on the variety and the soil it is grown in. We like Gypsy, a
greenish yellow chile, for it's large crops and the nice, not real sweet
taste. We also grow bells but, of course, they don't get as big and
beautiful as the ones at the market. Of course those chiles grow in a
hydroponics lab and are force grown.

Over the years we have tried many sweet and hot chiles. Marconi is a
keeper as is Longhorn. Others have been total duds but we keep trying
different ones. We use a lot of sweet chiles in our menu and,
consequently, grow a lot. Most are chopped, frozen on a bun tray, then
vacuum bagged for later use in cooking. Actually chiles are easy to
grown in our USDA 8B zone. We need to pick again today as the
temperatures are going to be in the low seventies again. We've grown
chiles from seed and from plants bought at the plant shops. Many years
ago, prior to 9-11, I traded chile seeds all over the world by mail and
crossed several varieties for taste and heat. Alas, Ma Nature has
changed my stomach so that only sweet chiles can be eaten.

George

chilies again Graham Edible Gardening 11 24-08-2010 07:05 PM
chilies Graham Edible Gardening 8 14-07-2010 01:40 AM
Thai Dragon Chilies oldhickory Texas 4 20-04-2007 05:31 AM
My sweet sweet Rose Brigitte J. Gardening 14 25-06-2004 12:03 AM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM