GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Correct spelling: "veggie" or "vegie"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/212343-re-correct-spelling-veggie-vegie.html)

[email protected] 21-12-2015 05:56 AM

Correct spelling: "veggie" or "vegie"?

On Tuesday, 10 February 1998 19:00:00 UTC+11, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm in Australia and want to clarify with some Americans about the
spelling of "veggie/vegie". Here we would use the word "vegie", but
I've noticed Americans using the double g. What do Americans most
commonly use: vegie or veggie?

Many thanks

Gavin Atkinson

I really would have to be 'Vegie' as a double 'g' would be pronounced with a soft g sound as in 'begging' or 'leggings', not a hard g as in vegetable.
simple rules of English

George Shirley[_3_] 21-12-2015 03:28 PM

On 12/20/2015 11:56 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 February 1998 19:00:00 UTC+11, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm in Australia and want to clarify with some Americans about the
spelling of "veggie/vegie". Here we would use the word "vegie", but
I've noticed Americans using the double g. What do Americans most
commonly use: vegie or veggie?

Many thanks

Gavin Atkinson

I really would have to be 'Vegie' as a double 'g' would be pronounced with a soft g sound as in 'begging' or 'leggings', not a hard g as in vegetable.
simple rules of English

Most Americans I know use "veggie." As in "Eat your veggies kid." In my
family we use the correct word, vegetables.

Aussies always did talk funny as far as most Americans are concerned.
Worked with a lot of them overseas and it took a bit to really
understand the Aussie version of English. Of course many Brits had a
strange version of the English language too, particularly the Scots. G

George
Native American, Native Texan, World Traveler, Old Geezer

Fran Farmer 21-12-2015 10:13 PM

On 21/12/2015 4:56 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 February 1998 19:00:00 UTC+11, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

(snip)

I really would have to be 'Vegie'

Why on earth would you bother to respond to a post from 1998?

Jool 24-05-2016 02:45 AM

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 08:13:56 UTC+10, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 21/12/2015 4:56 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 February 1998 19:00:00 UTC+11, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

(snip)

I really would have to be 'Vegie'

Why on earth would you bother to respond to a post from 1998?

Because it added to an extremely helpful, interesting and humorous discussion! :)

[email protected] 29-05-2016 07:01 PM

Correct spelling: "veggie" or "vegie"?

I just arrived here after someone played vegie on word with friends.
I too enjoyed reading the evolution of this discussion. As to the correctness of spelling, it seems either is acceptable. As someone in the US, I would certainly never use "vegie" for any purpose other than to annoy and incite friends in word games.

Frank 16-08-2017 01:07 AM

On 21/12/2015 4:56 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 February 1998 19:00:00 UTC+11, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

(snip)

I really would have to be 'Vegie'

Why on earth would you bother to respond to a post from 1998?

Because it added to an extremely helpful, interesting and humorous discussion! :)

I know even back then they had spell check.

T[_4_] 16-08-2017 05:21 AM

Correct spelling: "veggie" or "vegie"?

On 08/15/2017 05:07 PM, Frank wrote:
22 December 2015 08:13:56

Will this thread ever die?

George Shirley[_3_] 16-08-2017 01:25 PM

On 8/15/2017 11:21 PM, T wrote:
On 08/15/2017 05:07 PM, Frank wrote:
22 December 2015 08:13:56

Will this thread ever die?

Only if the sane ones on this group quit replying to the ones posting.