Old 09-01-2016, 08:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default speed queen loud and leaking: new or repair

Hi All,

Speedqueen AWS44NW top loading washer.

Spin is very, very loud. And it is leaking:

Over here I have found:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t535654...se_spins_cycle

Well, the only time the washer (speedqueen) is noisy
on spin is if one or both the bearings are faulty.
Normally when you get a leak, it means the hub/flange
and seal kit need replacement and this also includes
the top bearing because when soap suds leak past the
seal assembly it drips directly onto the bearing. The
acidic properties in the soap suds eats the grease in
the bearing which ends up becoming defective. One can
also get an anoying squeek if a bottom base gasket is
worn or removed. This would be audible even on wash
cycle.Conclusion, check the bearing on top of gearbox.

Sounds exactly like what is happening.

I found this on how to repair the stinker:

http://www.ehow.com/how_12217109_cha...en-washer.html

Way, way over my head. I think a repairman would be at it
for several weeks, if he ever could get the parts. This
all would probably cost a fortune to fix.

Anyway, a repair like this is a major, major job and is
beyond my abilities and tools.

Would you repair it anyway or replace it?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/09/2016 12:37 AM, T wrote:
[...]

Ah poop. That was suppose to go into the repair group. Just ignore.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/9/2016 2:37 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I would replace it, not worth the $$$ to repair. Remind me to tell y'all
about the time I glued a washing machine tub to my knee while I was
replacing the teflon parts that maintained the spin.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/09/2016 08:29 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 1/9/2016 2:37 AM, T wrote:
[...]

Shades of Clark Griswald stapling his sleeve to the roof!

Did the glue even stick to the teflon?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/9/2016 2:37 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I was holding the tub between my legs while I was gluing the teflon on
it, seems I didn't wait long enough for it to stick. Lost a little skin
using rubbing alcohol to get it off me but it did stick to the teflon.

I worked 47 years in refineries and chemical plants, we always had large
sticks of varying thickness teflon to use on pumps, motors, etc. I still
have a stash of teflon out in the shop and I retired in 2007. Waste not,
want not again. Wife is giving me hell about my stash of odd nuts,
bolts, and screws, leftover from projects. I bought the templates for
both American Standard and metric and am slowly sorting them out into
different containers. Plastic peanut jars are just right for long screws
and bolts and last a good time if not exposed to sunlight. One of our
grandson's came by this afternoon and perused the collection and found
just what he needed, beats going to the big box store and looking for
them and finding out you can't really afford them. G

I think you're supposed to wait until you're old and decrepit before you
expose your foibles to the world. I'm old but not quite decrepit yet but
can pretend to be with people I don't like, "Huh, what did you say?"
Great fun for old people to yank someone's chain.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/9/2016 6:08 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

I would replace it, not worth the $$$ to repair. Remind me to tell y'all
about the time I glued a washing machine tub to my knee while I was
replacing the teflon parts that maintained the spin.

I'd be more interested in readng how you unglued tub from knee....

A little rubbing alcohol and a quick yank does the trick. It helps if
you have a good vocabulary of curse words. After all I was once upon a
time a sailor. G
Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

I would replace it, not worth the $$$ to repair. Remind me to tell y'all
about the time I glued a washing machine tub to my knee while I was
replacing the teflon parts that maintained the spin.

I'd be more interested in readng how you unglued tub from knee....

A little rubbing alcohol and a quick yank does the trick. It helps if
you have a good vocabulary of curse words. After all I was once upon a
time a sailor. G

Hi George,

I was Air Force. Didn't swear hardly at all before that. Now
can't stop, but got it about 80% better.

-T

The idea that no gentleman ever swears is all wrong. He can
swear and still be a gentleman if he does it in a nice and
benevolent and affectionate way.

--Mark Twain - Private and Public Morals speech, 1906

Old 11-01-2016, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

I would replace it, not worth the $$$ to repair. Remind me to tell
y'all
about the time I glued a washing machine tub to my knee while I was
replacing the teflon parts that maintained the spin.
I'd be more interested in readng how you unglued tub from knee....

A little rubbing alcohol and a quick yank does the trick. It helps if
you have a good vocabulary of curse words. After all I was once upon a
time a sailor. G

Hi George,

I was Air Force. Didn't swear hardly at all before that. Now
can't stop, but got it about 80% better.

-T

The idea that no gentleman ever swears is all wrong. He can
swear and still be a gentleman if he does it in a nice and
benevolent and affectionate way.

--Mark Twain - Private and Public Morals speech, 1906

I came from a long line of people who called it what it was, usually
with curse words, learned at my mother's knee, Dad didn't curse much. I
learned a lot of new curse words in boot camp, usually aimed at my
family line. G Then 47 years in the oil patch didn't help matters. I
have learned not to aim curses at my great grandchildren nor at people
larger and quicker than I am, which is the majority of the world. The
Navy and I parted 54 years ago, I don't miss them and they don't miss
me, we're even.

Making a small batch of kumquat marmalade today and chopping sweet
chile's again. The damned plants are almost a year old now and still
going, so are the eggplants. I'm seriously considering planticide just
to get rid of them. I think my wife is a food hoarder.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/11/2016 06:17 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Making a small batch of kumquat marmalade today and chopping sweet
chile's again. The damned plants are almost a year old now and still
going, so are the eggplants. I'm seriously considering planticide just
to get rid of them.

Just borrow my black thumb. Your garden will look like
the moon in no time flat!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

I'd pick up a freebie off craigslist or freecycle and be done with it. Top
loaders are constantly being given away.

Loud chirping is new behaviour john ryan United Kingdom 8 10-05-2011 08:54 PM
Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed? Kevin Lawns 2 12-04-2005 01:23 PM
Loud "spitter" k conover Ponds 6 29-03-2004 03:36 PM
Who is this loud mouthed critter? John Bachman Ponds 6 25-06-2003 11:44 AM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM