Old 22-01-2016, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic: missed a few!

Hi All,

The snow finally melted from my little garden. So I went
to check out the garlic I so lovingly planted in the
spring (probably should have done it in the fall). They
are surviving "okay" with all the snow and ice.

Well, in a different section of the garden where I
planted garlic, not last year, but two years ago,
I have several "clusters" on new garlic shoots. Ooops!
I must have missed harvesting them. RAT! They are really
YUMMY!

Question: what happens when a whole cluster sprouts
like that? Do I get a HUGE bulb or a bunch of stunted
bulb?

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 22-01-2016, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

Question: what happens when a whole cluster sprouts
like that? Do I get a HUGE bulb or a bunch of stunted
bulb?

You get a whole cluster of small bulbs and if those are left, even smaller
ones. Of course, you can harvest them in the spring for the much-prized
"green garlic"...think garlic scallions.

Old 22-01-2016, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/22/2016 11:57 AM, Gary Woods wrote:
T wrote:

Question: what happens when a whole cluster sprouts
like that? Do I get a HUGE bulb or a bunch of stunted
bulb?

You get a whole cluster of small bulbs and if those are left, even smaller
ones. Of course, you can harvest them in the spring for the much-prized
"green garlic"...think garlic scallions.

Thank you!

Come spring I think I will dig one up and see what I find.

Old 24-01-2016, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

Question: what happens when a whole cluster sprouts
like that? Do I get a HUGE bulb or a bunch of stunted
bulb?

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Depends - I've had one of my better harvests the year after we forgot
the whole patch. Not that I do that deliberately, but it CAN work. If
you want to dig them up and eat them young that's your call - I'd let
most of them run to harvest time, probably.

Old 24-01-2016, 10:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/23/2016 04:50 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

Question: what happens when a whole cluster sprouts
like that? Do I get a HUGE bulb or a bunch of stunted
bulb?

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Depends - I've had one of my better harvests the year after we forgot
the whole patch. Not that I do that deliberately, but it CAN work. If
you want to dig them up and eat them young that's your call - I'd let
most of them run to harvest time, probably.

This will be interesting!