Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default French shallots

Scored at the Ozark seed Swap today . Got 5 nice bulbs , do I break them
into cloves and plant now ?
I ended up being one of the people that lay their stuff out on a table . I
had a lot more to swap this year . Brought home a lot too ... I need more
garden space .
--
Snag

Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Scored at the Ozark seed Swap today . Got 5 nice bulbs , do I break them
into cloves and plant now ?

i've never had them before. if they are easily
broken apart into cloves then i would break them
apart before planting.

I ended up being one of the people that lay their stuff out on a table . I
had a lot more to swap this year . Brought home a lot too ... I need more
garden space .

it would be fun to do that someplace here.

what else did you bring home?

songbird
Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Scored at the Ozark seed Swap today . Got 5 nice bulbs , do I
break them into cloves and plant now ?

i've never had them before. if they are easily
broken apart into cloves then i would break them
apart before planting.

I ended up being one of the people that lay their stuff out on a
table . I had a lot more to swap this year . Brought home a lot too
... I need more garden space .

it would be fun to do that someplace here.

what else did you bring home?

songbird

Clay peas , skunk peas and snap peas . Black oil sunflowers , giant indian
corn , orange bell peppers , cilantro and white liatris . Butternut squash ,
2 kinds of watermelons , and peach cantalopes - the size of a peach ,
cantalope flavor "with a whang" . A very old variety , supposed to make a
very nice jam/jelly . Also got some flat leaf parsley , pink hibiscus and
one called "sweet root" , supposed to smell like licorice when bruised .

--
Snag

Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

one called "sweet root" , supposed to smell like licorice when bruised .

Sounds like probably actual licorice plant "Glycyrrhiza glabra". About
50 times sweeter than sugar. Don't overdo it, there are medical
side-effects form excessive consumption.

That's not a don't eat, it's a don't overdo.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

one called "sweet root" , supposed to smell like licorice when
bruised .

Sounds like probably actual licorice plant "Glycyrrhiza glabra". About
50 times sweeter than sugar. Don't overdo it, there are medical
side-effects form excessive consumption.

That's not a don't eat, it's a don't overdo.

I was told this is a member of the carrot family and that it grows wild in
this (N. central Arkansas) area ... don't know if that makes any difference
in your opinion of what it is . Hmm , the search i did shows those seeds as
round , this seed is about 1/2" long , similar in shape to a marigold seed
but thicker , all black and pointed on both ends .
--
Snag

Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

one called "sweet root" , supposed to smell like licorice when
bruised .

Sounds like probably actual licorice plant "Glycyrrhiza glabra".
About 50 times sweeter than sugar. Don't overdo it, there are medical
side-effects form excessive consumption.

That's not a don't eat, it's a don't overdo.

I was told this is a member of the carrot family and that it grows
wild in this (N. central Arkansas) area ... don't know if that makes
any difference in your opinion of what it is . Hmm , the search i did
shows those seeds as round , this seed is about 1/2" long , similar
in shape to a marigold seed but thicker , all black and pointed on
both ends .

Further research leads to this being Sweet Cicely . also knpwn as
aniseroot . A member of the osmorhiza family andrelated to carrots . Has
medicinal properties .
--
Snag