Old 26-03-2016, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default vinegar and disk soap weed killer is not working

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff

Old 26-03-2016, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/25/2016 9:05 PM, T wrote:
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff

I have only found the 20% on line, Amazon has it, Walmart has a version
that is 1% higher, don't know how it works. Seems that one gallon of 20%
sells for about US$25 wherever you get it. Generally called cleaning
vinegar from what I see.
Old 26-03-2016, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff

dunno, some plants have a waxy layer on them and
so such approaches do not work well.

smother it instead. cardboard is easy to find and put
down. eventually breaks down into worm food. use the
plainest kinds you can get (least ink on them). a few
layers overlapped at the seams will do in about any weed
and if they don't work the first time the second round
usually will.

songbird
Old 26-03-2016, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/25/2016 10:05 PM, T wrote:
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff

I see you can even buy pure acid available on line:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php...hkhgod d4MO1Q

We all know that you can drink a bit of vinegar but the pure acid would
put you in the hospital.
Old 15-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Wolf Phan's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T[_4_] View Post
Vinegar Weed Killer: Grandma's Recipe For Fast Weed Control

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff
Using only vinegar is better than combine with soap.
There are 3 vinegars you should use. You can check here for more information: http://The field '1bb8feffed6e2f...ot recognised.

Old 15-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Wolf Phan's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Phan View Post
Opps, wrong link. Here it is: https://outdoorfield.com/vinegar-natural-weed-killer/
Old 15-04-2016, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/15/2016 04:15 AM, Wolf Phan wrote:
'T[_4_ Wrote:
;1018930']'Vinegar Weed Killer: Grandma's Recipe For Fast Weed Control'
(http://tinyurl.com/lkeudq)

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff

Using only vinegar is better than combine with soap.
There are 3 vinegars you should use. You can check here for more
information:

The field '1bb8feffed6e2f161d9fb34c1b4cda2b' was not recognised.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

would you resend?

I found if I pour straight 6% on the weed that it messes up
the weed, but does not kill it. It is also really expensive
to use a cup of vinegar per weed

I got some 20% coming from Amazon.

What is your opinion of adding salt to the mixture?

Old 16-04-2016, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

What is your opinion of adding salt to the mixture?

Great idea if you want to permanently poison your garden - old fashioned
traditional agro-terrorism to sow the opposition's fields with salt and
starve anyone they didn't kill directly. Pure idiocy otherwise.

Old 16-04-2016, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

'T[_4_ Wrote:
;1018930']'Vinegar Weed Killer: Grandma's Recipe For Fast Weed
Control' (http://tinyurl.com/lkeudq)

Damn things see to enjoy being sprayed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the 5% stuff. Can't find the 20% stuff

Using only vinegar is better than combine with soap.
There are 3 vinegars you should use. You can check here for more
information:

The field '1bb8feffed6e2f161d9fb34c1b4cda2b' was not recognised.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

would you resend?

I found if I pour straight 6% on the weed that it messes up
the weed, but does not kill it. It is also really expensive
to use a cup of vinegar per weed

I got some 20% coming from Amazon.

What is your opinion of adding salt to the mixture?

According to our gardening gurus
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s3683147.htm a cup, 250ml, to
a litre of vinegar does the trick they also offer some other tips,
only one of which I have tried, Sheet solarisation, and living in the
West of Australia with plenty of sun and very little rain I found
this to be very effective.
Mike

I've had a major part of my garden under plastic for several weeks now to
kill out the grass . I realized very early this spring that tilling was just
burying the grass seed to sprout later . Last year's heavy straw mulch
helped a lot , that in combination with the plastic might give me a chance
to get ahead of it and other unwanted growth . Of course that isn't an
option with the strawberry beds , I'm planning a vinegar douche there , in
hopes that it will give the strawberries a chance to shade out some of the
weeds/grasses .

--
Snag

Old 16-04-2016, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I found if I pour straight 6% on the weed that it messes up
the weed, but does not kill it. It is also really expensive
to use a cup of vinegar per weed

spray it on the leaves with a mister. should
not need that much.

I got some 20% coming from Amazon.

What is your opinion of adding salt to the mixture?

as idiotic as spraying weeds with vinegar. if you
got time to go around dumping or spraying you got time
to pull it or smother it IMO.

songbird
Old 16-04-2016, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I've had a major part of my garden under plastic for several weeks now to
kill out the grass .

it can take a few years to kill off the energy
stored in roots and the soil seed bank can be
viable for many years (varies by species).

mulch and cardboard layers will last a few years.

some plants need warmer soil to sprout or grow well
but once they are up and growing you can go along and
mulch around them and put cardboard in the rows and
then mulch on top of that.

I realized very early this spring that tilling was just
burying the grass seed to sprout later . Last year's heavy straw mulch
helped a lot ,

yes, by keeping sunlight and warmth from the top layer
of the soil you've reduced the number of seeds that will
be able to germinate.

that in combination with the plastic might give me a chance
to get ahead of it and other unwanted growth . Of course that isn't an
option with the strawberry beds , I'm planning a vinegar douche there , in
hopes that it will give the strawberries a chance to shade out some of the
weeds/grasses .

my strawberry beds get mulched with wood chips and hand
weeded, but after a few years they need to be renovated
anyways. after a few seasons i selectively smother about
1/3 of the plants and then let the surrounding plants
grow into the mulch. by the time the mulch has broken
down enough and the new plants are established the old
ones can then be smothered. i use a mix of wood chips and
partially decayed wood chips.

i also grow cover crops to help shade the plants during
the hot summer months in spots. these then become mulch.
beans/peas/soybeans/buckwheat, not too thick.

songbird
Old 18-04-2016, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/15/2016 09:17 PM, songbird wrote:
if you
got time to go around dumping or spraying you got time
to pull it or smother it IMO.

Hi Songbird,

Some blabbing and a question on the bottom for you.

Since I let my back lawn go to seed last year in hope of replacing it
with a garden, I now have weeds I never knew existed.

On of them looks like a small shade tree and it pulls really easily.
The rest suck to the ground, like the dandelions that won't die.
I have to dig these up with a shovel, which is no easy task
considering you can make some really awesome bricks out of
my soil.

My soil isn't soil anyway. I know the guy who graded my property.
My back yard is 20 feet down from top soil. It is basically
rocks and decomposed sandstone (like decomposed granite,
only way, way uglier). If you strike the ground to hard with
a shovel, it literally sparks.

How some of these weeks managed to bore their roots down in the
stuff, I will never know. And, you can only cut their tops off.
Then they grow right back and back and back. So vinegar and
soap it is, less the salt. Cussing at them doesn't work either.

The back yard is too big to cover in cardboard or plastic,
especially with the high winds we have. (Two category one
hurricane force winds last January.) Rock gardens work
with visqueen.

Also, this is one for you. My blue garlic comes out pink.
I was told that this is because my soil is very alkaline
(verified by the local nursery lady.) I little vinegar
may help. Your thoughts?

-T

Old 18-04-2016, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:
Also, this is one for you. My blue garlic comes out pink.
I was told that this is because my soil is very alkaline
(verified by the local nursery lady.) I little vinegar
may help. Your thoughts?

Vinegar's effect is pretty much like cutting the tops off - dubious for
really killing the whole plant, other than repeat applications
eventually exhausting the roots, or for tender young weed seedlings.
Vinegar's effect on the pH of the soil would be fleeting at best. So
it's pretty valid to say that if you have time to pour a cup of vinegar
on the plant, you have time to chop the plant off with a hoe to similar
effect.

http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200714f.html

Too late for you now, but letting weeds go to seed is NOT what you want
to do when "in hope of replacing it with a garden" - you want to mow the
heck out of it right up until you turn it under or bury it with good
soil.

Roots can push into some pretty inhospitable soils. Depending on your pH
range, you might select a suitable cover crop/green manure, till the
mess, and plant the cover crop, precisely for the beneficial effect of
the roots (as well as the eventual decomposing of the top mass, and the
shading out of weeds.) If your pH is less than 8.2 (you said it was
alkaline, so the lower range of 6.0-6.3 won't apply to you) alfalfa can
do wonders as part of a "green manure" program, and will shove roots
amazing distances downward.

Vast quantities of "brown manure" (up to and including sheet composting
6-12" deep) will also help (both to build soil and to buffer pH.)

You might find this a worthwhile read WRT alkaline soils:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/222.html
Depending on your free lime situation or lack thereof, sulfur may not or
may help with your pH (depending, of course, on exactly what it is and
if it needs help - start with a soil test.)