Old 08-04-2016, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default A load of s**t

On 04/08/2016 07:25 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 4/8/2016 6:49 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet George Shirley wrote:
On 3/30/2016 5:55 PM, T wrote:
On 03/30/2016 03:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 3/30/2016 4:49 PM, T wrote:
On 03/29/2016 07:07 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Arrived in my yard yesterday afternoon ... barn scrapings ,
from goats ,
sheep , chickens/ducks/other fowl . Another is coming today , this
stuff has
been composting in place for who knows how long . This comes
from a neighbor I shared seeds and advice with , young fellow
that's just getting
started in gardening for food . I'm doing what I can to positively
affect
his experience ...

"scat" is polite farmer talk for s**t. :-)

Worked for a farm animal pharmacy for a while. They
used the word "scat" so much that the 12 year old
inside me actually stopped chuckling. "Did you
check their scat to see if ..."

I grew up on a small farm in SE Texas, even my grandmother called it
s**t. So there!

Just out of curiosity, did you get you mouth washed out with
soap if you said that word, be she could say it as much as she
wanted?

"Where did you hear that word ?!?!?" And please tell me you were
wish enough not to answer!

:-)

Nope, my paternal grandmother loved me, she just tut tutted, and shook
her finger at me. After all I was her eldest grandchild. G Just like
all my elders she used that word frequently. I never feared my
grandmother but was scared to death of my mother, she whacked me
upside my head with a ten inch cast iron skillet once for back
talking her.

That explains a lot.

I credit the head whacking for my IQ, she jarred my brain enough to get
me through high school and college over a thirty year span. G Now I'm
just another retired old fart living on his youth. If I had known I was
going to live this long I would have saved more money. Yeah, that's my
story and I'm sticking to it.

You will love this. The Battle Hymn of Baby Boomers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49GavdGWtac

It's a beautiful morning in SE Texas, temp is right around 64F, no rain,
a bit of clouds. The garden is doing well, I think we will go get some
store bought groceries today.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/8/2016 3:09 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
I credit the head whacking for my IQ, she jarred my brain enough to get
me through high school and college over a thirty year span. G Now I'm
just another retired old fart living on his youth. If I had known I was
going to live this long I would have saved more money. Yeah, that's my
story and I'm sticking to it.

It's a beautiful morning in SE Texas, temp is right around 64F, no rain,
a bit of clouds. The garden is doing well, I think we will go get some
store bought groceries today.

it's been cold here. spring is trying, just slowly gaining
ground this year. we might hit 50F sometime this week. a few
nights still below freezing.

songbird

We're awaiting the further influx of Californians to Texas as they flee
the great liberal surge. We're still got room for you songbird and it's
warm here and the garden is a-growing. Fertilized the growing stuff
today as they were looking a bit puny. Fish fertilizer seems to help
them though.

The dawg and I had a nice afternoon nap and awoke to find the lady of
the house was gone somewhere but left a note that said she would really
be back soon. I checked to see if the credit card was missing and it's
not so things will probably be okay. G I shiver to think of another
load of plants being brought onto this small property. The dawg assured
me everything would be okay but she's a female too.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
We're awaiting the further influx of Californians to Texas as they flee
the great liberal surge. We're still got room for you songbird and it's
warm here and the garden is a-growing. Fertilized the growing stuff
today as they were looking a bit puny. Fish fertilizer seems to help
them though.

thanks George! i really do like it here...
if i moved someplace for the sake of comfort it would
be the tropics, then i could study the many ant species,
drink dark spiced rum and sweat off about 30lbs.

The dawg and I had a nice afternoon nap and awoke to find the lady of
the house was gone somewhere but left a note that said she would really
be back soon. I checked to see if the credit card was missing and it's
not so things will probably be okay. G I shiver to think of another
load of plants being brought onto this small property. The dawg assured
me everything would be okay but she's a female too.

when you are surrounded...

songbird
Old 09-04-2016, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/8/2016 6:05 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
We're awaiting the further influx of Californians to Texas as they flee
the great liberal surge. We're still got room for you songbird and it's
warm here and the garden is a-growing. Fertilized the growing stuff
today as they were looking a bit puny. Fish fertilizer seems to help
them though.

thanks George! i really do like it here...
if i moved someplace for the sake of comfort it would
be the tropics, then i could study the many ant species,
drink dark spiced rum and sweat off about 30lbs.

We lived in Saudi Arabia for five years, 1981-1986, I loved the weather
except for the occasional sand storms. Lived right on the Red Sea, our
weekend was Thursday/Friday and we would go to the Sharm (Arabic for
creek) every Thursday and fish, swim, snorkel, etc. Lots of good fish
plus we could fish off the reef into the Red Sea, 900 feet straight down
the coral and lots of big fish came around. For a good ol' boy from SE
Texas it was like going to heaven without any beer. G

I've got the two page article I wrote for Salt Water Fisherman magazine
way back then framed and on the wall. My friend, now gone to fisherman
heaven, caught a very large fish on 20 lb line and he and his fish are
the only picture in the article. Only article I ever sold to a fishing
magazine.

The dawg and I had a nice afternoon nap and awoke to find the lady of
the house was gone somewhere but left a note that said she would really
be back soon. I checked to see if the credit card was missing and it's
not so things will probably be okay. G I shiver to think of another
load of plants being brought onto this small property. The dawg assured
me everything would be okay but she's a female too.

when you are surrounded...

songbird

It's warming up quickly around here, we're having to water our clay daily.

George
Old 09-04-2016, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

it's been cold here. spring is trying, just slowly gaining
ground this year. we might hit 50F sometime this week. a few
nights still below freezing.

We hit 70 a while back - and zero more recently. 34 this morning. I'm
afeared it will another bad fruit year (last year was the odd-ball
bumper-crop year) since odds are good the night at zero after all the
early warmth had a negative impact on the flower buds - but that remains
to be confirmed in time.

I suspect it's been a terrible sap year as well (I'm not tapped this
year) as we've only had short stretches of suitable weather, and long
runs of too cold or too warm, and the too warm brings out the buds which
makes an end of useful sap.