Old 09-04-2016, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Expecting Cold

The weather ;people are predicting a low of 26°F here in the Blue
Ridge Mountain Foothills in NC. Trees and strawberries are blooming
Thankfully I have not planted anything yet. Procrastination pays off.
We had another one of these 10 years ago. Four days of below freezing
then.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/9/2016 11:15 AM, The Cook wrote:
The weather ;people are predicting a low of 26°F here in the Blue
Ridge Mountain Foothills in NC. Trees and strawberries are blooming
Thankfully I have not planted anything yet. Procrastination pays off.
We had another one of these 10 years ago. Four days of below freezing
then.

We're having an odd spring too. Had to get up last night and get another
blanket. Generally we are in the seventies most of the time in early
April but we've been hop scotching with weather. Hit 80F late afternoon,
get down to low sixties by daylight next day. I prefer 80 myself, old
bones and thin blood don't go well with any temp lower than that.

Woke up this morning, looked like rain and we need it. Here it is
approaching noon and the sun is shining. Will get out there a little
later and water again.

The blueberries have small berries now and we shall see if we get a
small crop on these new bushes. The fig tree has lots of baby figs
coming on and the pear tree out front has at least 30 pears on it. At
least that's what Miz Anne tells me, I tend to fall over backwards when
I look up so she has to keep a hand on me when I do look up. Mostly due
to strokes from years ago according to the doctors. I'll take their
word, would lay on the ground to look up at the tree but the fire ants
prevent that.

The dwarf Barbados cherries are loaded with tiny fruit and blooms, might
be able to harvest enough to make a half pint of jelly. G The winter
chard and kale are still going strong too. Harvested an entire
dehydrator of herbs yesterday, twelve trays worth. We give bags of herbs
to our extended family at Christmas and everyone, so far, seems to like
it. Plus we cook a lot with our own herbs. I think we've finally beat
the herbicide poisoning from last year, everything seems to be growing
well now.

George
Old 09-04-2016, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/9/2016 12:15 PM, The Cook wrote:
The weather ;people are predicting a low of 26°F here in the Blue
Ridge Mountain Foothills in NC. Trees and strawberries are blooming
Thankfully I have not planted anything yet. Procrastination pays off.
We had another one of these 10 years ago. Four days of below freezing
then.

Here in northern DE, I cut the grass for the first time Monday and now
it is covered with snow.

Weather happens.