Old 21-04-2016, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default last years seeds?

Hi All,

I still have seeds I bought last year left over:
tomatillo, zukes, and I forget.

Would they still be good? Or should I buy new ones?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 21-04-2016, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/21/2016 3:10 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I still have seeds I bought last year left over:
tomatillo, zukes, and I forget.

Would they still be good? Or should I buy new ones?

Many thanks,
-T

Where were they stored? We keep excess seeds in a plastic container in
the fridge. Even with that they don't last forever and possibly they
will not grow. We have had fairly good luck on heirloom seeds that we've
had for years. I put them in vacuum bags and into the container, they
seem to last longer that way.
Old 22-04-2016, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

I still have seeds I bought last year left over:
tomatillo, zukes, and I forget.

Would they still be good?

Google "seed longevity;" it depends on the family. Clan Brassica lasts a
long, long time, and tomatos at least several years.
Be aware though, that the seed companies sometimes keep seed in cold
storage for several seasons, so the stated germination test is only good
for the "sold for" year on the packet.
Saving our own is a Good Idea for a lot of reasons, but that's a whole
'nother subject!

Old 22-04-2016, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

I still have seeds I bought last year left over:
tomatillo, zukes, and I forget.

Would they still be good? Or should I buy new ones?

Worth a try. I planted a butt-load (10-20 seeds in each of 4 cells) of
my 2012 tomatillo seed since I have not had any recently and the last
time I tried them I didn't get any. I have 3 probable seedlings
(amazingly, in 3 cells) which are not yet large enough to verify. I get
volunteers in the garden, but those barely get a fruit ripe before they
freeze (even ore tender than basil) so if I don't get seedling
pre-started, I'm pretty much out of luck on tomatillos.

I planted 2009 tomato seeds 4 to a cell - they came up all 4, faster
than the 2016 seed 1 to a cell

The "I forget" will be "It Depends", but if it's 2015 seed, try it, most
likely some will come up. I can't recall how my overage zukes have done
in the past and don't have any running right now.

My seeds are not in the fridge.

I have generally poor luck with old nasturtium seed and old basil seed.

Old 23-04-2016, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/21/2016 07:03 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

[...]

Tomatillo! I love the things.

Do you grow yours in trellises?

What is your favorite fertilizer?

What is your favorite variety? (I eat them like cherry tomatoes.)

-T

I think I will buy new seeds.

Old 24-04-2016, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

Tomatillo! I love the things.

Do you grow yours in trellises?

What is your favorite fertilizer?

What is your favorite variety? (I eat them like cherry tomatoes.)

I grow "pineapple tomatillos" which might have a vague taste in the
direction of the name, and are fairly small, and I normally eat them
ripe and yellow. I usually give them a tomato cage, which is a sort of
trellis. Poo de horsey is my default fertilizer, since it's free for the
hauling - composted more or less.