Old 23-04-2016, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default how far apart do you plant your zukes?

one foot? three feet? six feet? I have my whole back
yard to use.

The goal is to thwart that stupid mold that gets them
every year. (there is no sky watering and I use a water
wand to water right at the root.)
Old 23-04-2016, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/22/2016 7:18 PM, T wrote:
one foot? three feet? six feet? I have my whole back
yard to use.

The goal is to thwart that stupid mold that gets them
every year. (there is no sky watering and I use a water
wand to water right at the root.)

It depends on how big the plant gets. We've had some up close that did
well and some that were three or four feet apart that didn't. Place them
far enough apart that they get plenty of sun all around.
Old 23-04-2016, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/22/2016 06:18 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 4/22/2016 7:18 PM, T wrote:
one foot? three feet? six feet? I have my whole back
yard to use.

The goal is to thwart that stupid mold that gets them
every year. (there is no sky watering and I use a water
wand to water right at the root.)

It depends on how big the plant gets. We've had some up close that did
well and some that were three or four feet apart that didn't. Place them
far enough apart that they get plenty of sun all around.

Thank you!

My pants get from three to four feet around (diameter).

A least three feet apart it is. I have always put them together.
and they got squash bugs and mold.

I am trying to maximize the sunlight and minimize mold.
and make it easier to inspect leaves for (squash bug) eggs.

Do these buzzards need to cross pollinate? That would
be an issue in spacing.
Old 23-04-2016, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/22/2016 7:18 PM, T wrote:
one foot? three feet? six feet? I have my whole back
yard to use.

The goal is to thwart that stupid mold that gets them
every year. (there is no sky watering and I use a water
wand to water right at the root.)

It depends on how big the plant gets. We've had some up close that
did well and some that were three or four feet apart that didn't.
Place them far enough apart that they get plenty of sun all around.

Thank you!

My pants get from three to four feet around (diameter).

A least three feet apart it is. I have always put them together.
and they got squash bugs and mold.

I am trying to maximize the sunlight and minimize mold.
and make it easier to inspect leaves for (squash bug) eggs.

Do these buzzards need to cross pollinate? That would
be an issue in spacing.

What , no bees where you live ? There are a bunch of insects that spread
pollen around in their foraging . Distances of a few feet are not going to
be a problem . BTW , most all squashes have both male and female flowers and
can self-pollinate with a little help from our insect friends .

--
Snag
four bee hives

Old 23-04-2016, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/22/2016 7:18 PM, T wrote:
one foot? three feet? six feet? I have my whole back
yard to use.

The goal is to thwart that stupid mold that gets them
every year. (there is no sky watering and I use a water
wand to water right at the root.)

It depends on how big the plant gets. We've had some up close that
did well and some that were three or four feet apart that didn't.
Place them far enough apart that they get plenty of sun all around.

Thank you!

My pants get from three to four feet around (diameter).

A least three feet apart it is. I have always put them together.
and they got squash bugs and mold.

I am trying to maximize the sunlight and minimize mold.
and make it easier to inspect leaves for (squash bug) eggs.

Do these buzzards need to cross pollinate? That would
be an issue in spacing.

What , no bees where you live ?

Mason bees. Honey bees are still recovering from some kind of disease

There are a bunch of insects that spread
pollen around in their foraging . Distances of a few feet are not going to
be a problem . BTW , most all squashes have both male and female flowers and
can self-pollinate with a little help from our insect friends .

Thank you.

One year I did not get but few fruits. I noticed that I only
had dude flowers. Tons of dudes. Not a girl to be found.
The guys probably left the toilet seat up or got blamed
for attracting the squash bugs. :'(