Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default tomatillo potting question

Hi All,

It is about time for me to grow seeds in those little
peat moss pots. I usually plant three seeds per pot.
Then when I transfer to the garden, I wait to see who
deals with the shock the best and it cut off the rest.

Now Tomatillo need to be planted in pairs (or more)
as they won't self pollinate.

So, I was wondering, how about just leaving all three
in the pot? Are they too close together? Sprout them
in a wider pot perhaps? Is so, how far apart?

You guys thoughts?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

So, I was wondering, how about just leaving all three
in the pot? Are they too close together? Sprout them
in a wider pot perhaps? Is so, how far apart?

Too close. I give each plant 2-3 feet (4-9 square feet), and they use
it. A bit of ruthless (or a bit of plant only one seed and accept that
some pots won't have a plant) pays off down the road.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/07/2016 03:21 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

So, I was wondering, how about just leaving all three
in the pot? Are they too close together? Sprout them
in a wider pot perhaps? Is so, how far apart?

Too close. I give each plant 2-3 feet (4-9 square feet), and they use
it. A bit of ruthless (or a bit of plant only one seed and accept that
some pots won't have a plant) pays off down the road.

Hi Ecnerwal,

Thank you! I am slowly learning.

I had been planting then about a 8 inches apart. I will
spread the out more this time.

I forgot, do you use trellises with your?

-T
Old 08-05-2016, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

So, I was wondering, how about just leaving all three
in the pot? Are they too close together? Sprout them
in a wider pot perhaps? Is so, how far apart?

Too close. I give each plant 2-3 feet (4-9 square feet), and they use
it. A bit of ruthless (or a bit of plant only one seed and accept
that some pots won't have a plant) pays off down the road.

Hi Ecnerwal,

Thank you! I am slowly learning.

I had been planting then about a 8 inches apart. I will
spread the out more this time.

I forgot, do you use trellises with your?

-T

I'm not Ecnerwal , but I do support my tomatoes . I use a cage made from
6x6" concrete reinforcing wire . About 2 feet diameter and 5 feet tall , and
tomatoes often grow over the top and drape to the outside . Those same cages
(or the shorter ones made from the same re-wire) work well for cucumbers ,
field peas , and pole beans .

--
Snag

Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

[...]

I have seen tomatoes done with and without cages. I personally
use cages.

Tomatillos go all over the place, so I was thinking of just
giving up on the cages.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

On 05/07/2016 07:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm not Ecnerwal , but I do support my tomatoes . I use a cage made from
6x6" concrete reinforcing wire . About 2 feet diameter and 5 feet tall , and
tomatoes often grow over the top and drape to the outside . Those same cages
(or the shorter ones made from the same re-wire) work well for cucumbers ,
field peas , and pole beans .

I have seen tomatoes done with and without cages. I personally
use cages.

Tomatillos go all over the place, so I was thinking of just
giving up on the cages.

I normally put the tomatillos in tomato cages. I prefer them upright
rather than laying on the ground. The type Snag/Terry descibes are
better than the commercial type, IMPE, though I have been using the
standard ones lately (used to have the re-mesh type when I grew up, have
not rounded the tuit to make a set.)

If 8" is even close to working you may have drastically different
tomatillos than I grow...