Old 20-05-2016, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default collecting melon seeds question

Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D
Old 20-05-2016, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/20/2016 11:11 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D

You could always try it, it might come out something terrible or
something good.

I've done a few of those things and mostly they come out as something
terrible. What the heck, go for it.
Old 20-05-2016, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/20/2016 01:19 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/20/2016 11:11 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D

You could always try it, it might come out something terrible or
something good.

I've done a few of those things and mostly they come out as something
terrible. What the heck, go for it.

Do I dry them out or something first?
Old 21-05-2016, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/20/2016 11:11 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D

You could always try it, it might come out something terrible or
something good.

I've done a few of those things and mostly they come out as something
terrible. What the heck, go for it.

Do I dry them out or something first?

We always put them between two paper towels and let them dry. Once you
plant them you will need to water them frequently too.

Nowadays we just eat seedless watermelon and generally toast and eat the
cantaloupe seeds while watching mindless television shows.

Old 21-05-2016, 09:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/20/2016 04:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
generally toast and eat the cantaloupe seeds

Shell and all?

I eat Pumpkin seeds (they are really squash seeds) all
the time, but they are hulled.
Old 21-05-2016, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/21/2016 2:23 AM, T wrote:
On 05/20/2016 04:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
generally toast and eat the cantaloupe seeds

Shell and all?

I eat Pumpkin seeds (they are really squash seeds) all
the time, but they are hulled.

No, we spit out the shell. Just crack them between your teeth and ptoo
the shell, chew the innards and do it again.

A beautiful Saturday morning here in Harris Cty, TX, what a change from
yesterday's intermittent rain.

I'm trouble shooting a fifteen year old computer and have come to the
conclusion that that sucker is truly dead. At least I got all the good
stuff off of it. Nothing lasts forever I reckon.
Old 22-05-2016, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/21/2016 06:56 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/21/2016 2:23 AM, T wrote:
On 05/20/2016 04:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
generally toast and eat the cantaloupe seeds

Shell and all?

I eat Pumpkin seeds (they are really squash seeds) all
the time, but they are hulled.

No, we spit out the shell. Just crack them between your teeth and ptoo
the shell, chew the innards and do it again.

Just like a pumpkin seed then.

A beautiful Saturday morning here in Harris Cty, TX, what a change from
yesterday's intermittent rain.

I'm trouble shooting a fifteen year old computer and have come to the
conclusion that that sucker is truly dead. At least I got all the good
stuff off of it. Nothing lasts forever I reckon.

I do that kind of stuff for a living. Ping me if you need any advice.
I fixed the probable last DOS computer in the county last December.

Thank you for helping me with all the gardening stuff!
-T
Old 23-05-2016, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 20 May 2016 09:11:43 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D

Although I have no experience with any melon crosses, I do know the
seeds from the typical cantaloupes we get here in NJ (NOT muskmelons),
germinate rather easily. I know this because when I took the top off
the compost bin yesterday, the top layer was covered in cantaloupe
seedlings.

That said, any fruiting that occurs will be one big crap shoot. Still,
if you have the space, garden experiments are always fun.
Old 24-05-2016, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/23/2016 07:56 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

I will get another one from the store this week and and give it a try!

Old 24-05-2016, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/23/2016 9:22 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Two years ago we pot holed the carcass of a large cantaloupe in one of
our fence line beds. A month later it was covered with vines and we
harvested three cantaloupes. Somewhat smaller than the original but,
IMHO, much tastier than the original. Alas, the seeds from those were
planted but did not grow, might have been the heat that year.

That crap shoot paid off but many don't. I'm looking for some beef
seeds. G
Old 25-05-2016, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 24 May 2016 08:58:27 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

That crap shoot paid off but many don't. I'm looking for some beef
seeds. G

You and me, both.
Old 25-05-2016, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

I'm looking for some beef seeds. G

Unless you are one of the unfortunate folks with Celiac, grow wheat,
make seitan. I still eat meat, but a well-seasoned hunk of "wheat meat"
is not something I'm averse to - I've had knockwurst that were identical
in flavor and texture to the real thing. Not quite going to get there
for a plain grilled steak, but any seasoned dish it can be awfully
close, and beats the heck out of tofu 10 times out of 10.

Old 25-05-2016, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/25/2016 6:13 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

I'm looking for some beef seeds. G

Unless you are one of the unfortunate folks with Celiac, grow wheat,
make seitan. I still eat meat, but a well-seasoned hunk of "wheat meat"
is not something I'm averse to - I've had knockwurst that were identical
in flavor and texture to the real thing. Not quite going to get there
for a plain grilled steak, but any seasoned dish it can be awfully
close, and beats the heck out of tofu 10 times out of 10.

I eat vegetables, make my own bread, mostly whole wheat or multiple
grains. I still eat meat, mostly two or three times a week. I've never
had faux meat though.

Multiple heart attacks, coronary bypass, diabetes, multiple strokes,
etc. I eat what I want, I will soon be 77 years old and, like Frank
Sinatra sings, I'm going to do it my way. G

I was eating healthy, organic stuff when I had all those strokes.
Old 26-05-2016, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/25/2016 06:51 AM, George Shirley wrote:
I'm going to do it my way. G

Ha! A valiant effort! Did SWMBO roll her eyes? (I got
me one too. The more they love you, the bossier they get.)

I was eating healthy, organic stuff when I had all those strokes.

Organic "healthy carbs" (there is no such thing) gave me Diabetes.

Get your homocysteine checked. Nag, Nag, Nag.