Old 22-05-2016, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mulching downsides

I started year-before-last to use a straw mulch to help control weeds and
add some organic matter to our soil here . This in addition to going
pesticide-free because of our bees has caused a population explosion in the
insect life , particularly worms and grubs . That increased population has
attracted the critters that eat them ... particularly 'possums and 'coons .
And they are raising hell out in the garden . Not a morning goes by that I
don't have to put one or more plants back in the ground , mostly the peppers
..
I bought an electric fence setup mostly for deer (which aren't usually a
problem this early on) , but it looks like I need to get it installed and
run one wire about 5"-6" from the ground to try to keep the small critters
out . Has this worked for any of y'all or am I wasting my time trying ? The
alternative is either live traps or bullets ... the problem is that there's
basically an endless supply of critters when you live in a clearing out in
the woods , and I can't trap or kill them all .
--
Snag

Old 22-05-2016, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

I started year-before-last to use a straw mulch to help control weeds and
add some organic matter to our soil here . This in addition to going
pesticide-free because of our bees has caused a population explosion in the
insect life , particularly worms and grubs . That increased population has
attracted the critters that eat them ... particularly 'possums and 'coons .
And they are raising hell out in the garden . Not a morning goes by that I
don't have to put one or more plants back in the ground , mostly the peppers
.

often that is because the starter mix or fertilizers
used smell like fish or goodies that they like to eat.

the raccoons used to do that to the onion plants we
put in that were grown as plugs in trays. so we stopped
planting them outside the fenced areas and that has
kept them from bothering them again.

I bought an electric fence setup mostly for deer (which aren't usually a
problem this early on) , but it looks like I need to get it installed and
run one wire about 5"-6" from the ground to try to keep the small critters
out . Has this worked for any of y'all or am I wasting my time trying ? The
alternative is either live traps or bullets ... the problem is that there's
basically an endless supply of critters when you live in a clearing out in
the woods , and I can't trap or kill them all .

yep. we trap and move raccoons, possumes and groundhogs
but there is an endless supply that will keep coming in.
if i don't trap i use the air-rifle to deter them if i can
see them (groundhogs). had one run very fast yesterday
to get away. usually that can keep them away somewhat
where i can be sure to get something of a harvest. last
year i trapped and moved a whole family and knew there was
one left we didn't get. they do like sunflower seeds (
raccoons do too).

i wish i had the stomach to kill/clean these critters
as then at least we'd be getting something useful from
them for the efforts. but as of yet i'm not that hungry
or desperate. i guess it is good to know that i could
probably easily live off the land here if i have to.

songbird
Old 22-05-2016, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
basically an endless supply of critters when you live in a clearing out in
the woods , and I can't trap or kill them all .

oh, the other thing i forgot to mention is planting
decoy areas further out along the edges away from
the gardens to help encourage critters to stay over
there and away from the more protected gardens.

we have the fence for deer too. requirement here.
and we also don't bother to grow sweet corn as that
draws raccoons even over the fence. for the number
of times we eat it (three or four) it's better to
just get it from the store or from a neighbor who's
nice enough to bring some to us.

songbird
Old 22-05-2016, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I bought an electric fence setup mostly for deer (which aren't usually a
problem this early on) , but it looks like I need to get it installed and
run one wire about 5"-6" from the ground to try to keep the small critters
out

Gardening in or near the woods, you'll likely need a more substantial
fence than a single hot wire 6" off the ground, though some
electrification certainly helps - but coons are not stupid, so you have
to try and be smarter than they are; and you might as well get the thing
up on a permanent basis; you'll need it, the critters are out there.

Old 22-05-2016, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
Gardening in or near the woods, you'll likely need a more substantial
fence than a single hot wire 6" off the ground, though some
electrification certainly helps - but coons are not stupid, so you have
to try and be smarter than they are; and you might as well get the thing
up on a permanent basis; you'll need it, the critters are out there.

we don't have an electric fence on the main garden
area where most of the veggies are planted but it is
tall enough to keep the deer out. this seems to deter
the raccoons enough too (as long as they can't smell
anything edible in there).

what they don't know is that i bury about 150,000
worms in there each spring when i plant. they have
never got in them at all (i hope they can't read ).

songbird

Old 22-05-2016, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/22/2016 9:51 AM, songbird wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
Gardening in or near the woods, you'll likely need a more substantial
fence than a single hot wire 6" off the ground, though some
electrification certainly helps - but coons are not stupid, so you have
to try and be smarter than they are; and you might as well get the thing
up on a permanent basis; you'll need it, the critters are out there.

we don't have an electric fence on the main garden
area where most of the veggies are planted but it is
tall enough to keep the deer out. this seems to deter
the raccoons enough too (as long as they can't smell
anything edible in there).

what they don't know is that i bury about 150,000
worms in there each spring when i plant. they have
never got in them at all (i hope they can't read ).

songbird

Raccoons are tasty critters if you get all the glands out before cooking
plus the skins make nice gloves, caps, etc. My extended family always
had a mess of coon dogs and we went nearly every weekend in the winter,
at night, to run coons. Was one way to keep them from decimating the
corn crop and other crops and was a lot of fun for a batch of young boys.

When we were young marrieds I planted two acres of corn. Raccoons got
most of it by hitting every night. I tried the electric fence and it
worked for a bit. Found the best way was to put the hound out there on a
long rope and he could keep them down to a minimum.

All of that may be the reason I don't care much for corn on the cob
anymore. G
Old 26-05-2016, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

It appears I have won an at least temporary reprieve from critters rooting
up my garden . Took a couple of potshots at a 'possum the other night (it
was trying to get into the garbage can) and while I'm not sure I hit it , it
hasn't been back since . I know for sure the 'coon I trapped night before
last won't be coming back ,she ended up on my neighbor's dinner table . I
re-set the trap last night , nothing , again tonight and we'll see .
--
Snag

Old 27-05-2016, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

You will have to stay at it Snag, I think raccoon's are telepathic as
they seem to bring all their relatives to the feast.
Old 27-05-2016, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

I've been unable to post for 2 days ... the trap is still set , awaiting
it's next victim .

--
Snag

Old 27-05-2016, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

Yesterday and today my rain gauge says we have gotten 8.9 inches of
rain. Enough is enough but the weather folks say much more is coming. To
bad y'all aren't getting some, probably drown a raccoon. G

Old 28-05-2016, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

It was raining so hard this morning at 3 that it woke me up ... the wife
too . I'm not sure exactly how much we got , but it's over 3" in the last
48 hours . And more is on the way .
I'm sure glad I got the roof done on the new kitchen before this last
round of storms !

--
Snag

Old 28-05-2016, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears I have won an at least temporary reprieve from critters rooting
up my garden . Took a couple of potshots at a 'possum the other night (it
was trying to get into the garbage can) and while I'm not sure I hit it , it
hasn't been back since . I know for sure the 'coon I trapped night before
last won't be coming back ,she ended up on my neighbor's dinner table . I
re-set the trap last night , nothing , again tonight and we'll see .

they like sunflower seeds as bait in the trap, so
do possums and groundhogs.

we'd cleared out most of the chipmunks last year
and i'd not seen any of those around until the other
day when i saw one running out front and today i saw
one out front and in back.

the strawberries in one garden are starting to
get some red to them. these are the unwatered
and un noticed plants i put in to wander through
the alfalfa/trefoil patch. i'm going to have to
pick some soon.

the past few days we've had sprinklings of rain, we
could really use some. as usual it is going north and
south of us. we had a few drops today. might get some
more tonight...

g.l. and good news on getting the roof on.

we're in the middle of planting and getting things
weeded and ready. for me getting the north garden
weeded and planted (outside of the fences) was nice
- everything else is much easier (but not as much
fun).

cheers...

songbird
Old 28-05-2016, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/27/2016 8:28 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Yesterday and the day before we received right at nine inches of rain.
Most of the roadways around us were flooded so we stayed home except for
a run to the stupor market near by to get in some grub.

Looks like there may be more rain today.

George
Old 28-05-2016, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Yesterday and the day before we received right at nine inches of rain.
Most of the roadways around us were flooded so we stayed home except for
a run to the stupor market near by to get in some grub.

Looks like there may be more rain today.

i washed the car yesterday and waxed it this morning.
first time i've washed or waxed it in many years, it was
looking pretty sad... sits outside, no cover, plus all
the farmers have been planting so a lot of dust and also
spring pollen in the air. and of course, plenty of bird
poo.

if that's not a rain dance what is? as i was trying to
wipe off the last bit of wax a quick storm came through.

i can go out now and finish. i have some wax left-over
to use up so i will do the hood and top a second time.
i don't know if it makes all that much difference, but
i'd like to get rid of the container.

we need a lot more rain. forecast is calling for it,
but we'll see...

songbird
Old 28-05-2016, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/28/2016 9:08 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Be careful about what you pray for. Weather folk say more rain coming
this coming week and maybe more.

Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 01:33 AM
The importance of Mulching GardeningGuy Gardening 7 18-06-2003 04:56 PM
gum leaves mulching and fast break down PITS Australia 1 01-05-2003 01:20 AM
tree...mulching cn Texas 0 14-04-2003 11:08 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 08:08 AM