Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Beet Seeds Not Germinating

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate - the
variety is Golden Beet.

I pre-soaked them in water 24 hours first. I've had poor
germination from two batches of seed now.

I planted the first batch outside and nothing happened. The
second batch is in 6-cell packs in the house - and I did get
some germination (2 seeds out of 12), but at a very poor
rate.

I also have red beet seeds that I should plant out now.

Any advice?

Pat
Old 08-05-2003, 03:20 PM
The Cook

Pat Meadows wrote:

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate - the
variety is Golden Beet.

I pre-soaked them in water 24 hours first. I've had poor
germination from two batches of seed now.

I planted the first batch outside and nothing happened. The
second batch is in 6-cell packs in the house - and I did get
some germination (2 seeds out of 12), but at a very poor
rate.

I also have red beet seeds that I should plant out now.

Any advice?

Pat

No advice, just empathy. We planted about 100 seeds, red and golden.
We had 2 germinate and they just sat there. Will also be interested
in seeing if anyone has any guaranteed method.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 08 May 2003 13:15:05 GMT, The Cook
wrote:

No advice, just empathy. We planted about 100 seeds, red and golden.
We had 2 germinate and they just sat there. Will also be interested
in seeing if anyone has any guaranteed method.

Shoot. That's not encouraging. I like beets very much and
would like to have more than two of them.

Pat
Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Art Norman

I've read (and it really seems to work for me) to keep beet seed in the
freezer for a week or so before planting. It also helps to rub them around
on a peice of course sandpaper to remove some of the hard coating - there is
a term for this but I forget what it is called.
I have gotten about 80% germination this year doing this just sticking them
in the prepared bed - Detroit Red only - have never tried the golden ones.

Art N2ERI - proud top poster since 1990

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate -

.......Snipped to prove that top posters DO edit first...

I did get some germination (2 seeds out of 12), but at a very poor rate.

I also have red beet seeds that I should plant out now.

Any advice?

Pat

Brian Watson - I would be honored to be added to your kill file and I hope
what I have to say is just what you need to (not) hear

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 8 May 2003 11:23:18 -0400, "Art Norman"
wrote:

I've read (and it really seems to work for me) to keep beet seed in the
freezer for a week or so before planting. It also helps to rub them around
on a peice of course sandpaper to remove some of the hard coating - there is
a term for this but I forget what it is called.

I think it's 'scarifying'. I'm not sure though. I'll give
this a try.

I have gotten about 80% germination this year doing this just sticking them
in the prepared bed - Detroit Red only - have never tried the golden ones.

I asked about the beets on a mailing list too, and one
person there said that the Golden's are notorious for poor
germination - this gives me hope that the red ones will do
better.

Last year I just stuck mine in the ground too. No problems
- they were red ones though.

Thanks.

Pat

Old 08-05-2003, 08:56 PM
larry joe

The Cook wrote in message . ..
Pat Meadows wrote:

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate - the
variety is Golden Beet.

I pre-soaked them in water 24 hours first. I've had poor
germination from two batches of seed now.

I planted the first batch outside and nothing happened. The
second batch is in 6-cell packs in the house - and I did get
some germination (2 seeds out of 12), but at a very poor
rate.

I also have red beet seeds that I should plant out now.

Any advice?

Pat

No advice, just empathy. We planted about 100 seeds, red and golden.
We had 2 germinate and they just sat there. Will also be interested
in seeing if anyone has any guaranteed method.

I also had that problem. That variety in particular. It's not just the
seeds. One day I looked real close and (amazed) saw ants carrying the
seeds away to their colony. Maybe they really like this veg?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 PM
simy1

The Cook wrote in message . ..
Pat Meadows wrote:

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate - the
variety is Golden Beet.

I pre-soaked them in water 24 hours first. I've had poor
germination from two batches of seed now.

I planted the first batch outside and nothing happened. The
second batch is in 6-cell packs in the house - and I did get
some germination (2 seeds out of 12), but at a very poor
rate.

I also have red beet seeds that I should plant out now.

Any advice?

Pat

No advice, just empathy. We planted about 100 seeds, red and golden.
We had 2 germinate and they just sat there. Will also be interested
in seeing if anyone has any guaranteed method.

Same problems here, and I think the only explanation is acidic soil.
Try amending with wood ash one month before. For a change, I was also
able to germinate them well inside the house, but once outside they
"just sat there",
as you say.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Keith Karausky

Pat Meadows

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate - the
variety is Golden Beet

My Pinetree Golden Beet package says
"Lower germination rate than others"

Old 08-05-2003, 10:32 PM

wrote:

Shoot. That's not encouraging. I like beets very much and
would like to have more than two of them.

Pat

how's the soil ph and general condition...perhaps you need some
amendments

Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

Shoot. That's not encouraging. I like beets very much and
would like to have more than two of them.

Pat

how's the soil ph and general condition...perhaps you need some
amendments

Don't think so. Everything else grows splendidly, including
chard, a close relative of beets, in fact it's a variety of
_Beta vulgaris_. And red beets were fine last year, I'm
beginning to think it's just the golden beets - which are
especially nice, darn it.

We've been amending the soil - replacing it is more accurate
- with lovely spent-mushroom soil. Our 'native' soil is
heavy clay.

The second batch of beet seeds I did in the house, in
soil-less seed-starting mix. 2 out of 12 germinated.
That's 2 out of 24 in all.

Pat

Old 09-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Dwayne

Pat, when I come up against one that wont germinate, I plant them in pots
and set them on top of my refrigerator and freezer. I give them light and
usually within a few days most will come up. Beets take longer and may
require the extra warmth. I have also made a little planting room out of
the room that houses my heater and hot water heater. It stays between 70
and 75 degrees F. in there, and I have installed shelves and a grow light.
Things seem to do well there also. Hope this helps.

Dwayne

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On 08 May 2003 20:24:08 GMT,
(Keith Karausky) wrote:

Pat Meadows

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate - the
variety is Golden Beet

My Pinetree Golden Beet package says
"Lower germination rate than others"

Mine are from Pinetree also, and I'm embarrassed to admit I
didn't read the seed packet. Oh well. Thanks.

Still trying - I'm going to try the sandpaper thing
tomorrow.

Pat

Old 11-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Beecrofter

Beets and Chard aint individual seed they are an entire floret.
To make good contact with the soil you gotta step on them.
Sow your row and then walk down the row pressing the seed into good
contact with the soil. This will improve your germination rate.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 8 May 2003 21:52:18 -0600, "Dwayne"
wrote:

Pat, when I come up against one that wont germinate, I plant them in pots
and set them on top of my refrigerator and freezer. I give them light and
usually within a few days most will come up. Beets take longer and may
require the extra warmth. I have also made a little planting room out of
the room that houses my heater and hot water heater. It stays between 70
and 75 degrees F. in there, and I have installed shelves and a grow light.
Things seem to do well there also. Hope this helps.

Thanks, but no, it doesn't help.

This year, I bought a 'mini greenhouse' - a little thing
that sits on a tabletop and keeps the temperature around 75
F for the seeds. Plus they stay properly moist. It's the
same idea as your planting room.

Even using that, I get very poor germination on these Golden
beets. Everything else has germinated quickly and well.

Pat