Old 08-06-2016, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default vegi scraps bucket?

Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

Old 08-06-2016, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I bought a crock pot insert and lid from a second hand store that does
the job.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/8/2016 1:13 PM, azigni wrote:
I bought a crock pot insert and lid from a second hand store that does
the job.

Ours is the bucket from a potty chair when the wife broke her hip six
years ago. Best bucket we've ever had. We don't pot hole the stuff, we
have a compost barrel that gets turned frequently to help the
composting. We live on five feet of clay with about two inches of sand
on top, pot holing wouldn't help. We have raised bed gardens, six inches
of man made soil in a four by eight box X 2 plus another that is the
same but sixteen feet long.

We're slowly making soil alongside the fence in back and have dug big
holes in the clay in the front yard for the flowers and the pear tree.
All nicely amended of course.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/8/2016 10:43 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

I bought a ceramic pot with lid at a thrift shop for the kitchen
counter. It gets dumped into a 5 gallon bucket on the back deck which is
covered with a screen "frying pan spatter shield" with a weight in the
center to keep it in place. This allows it to breath, reducing rot and
smell and fruit flies, until it gets dumped into the compost bin.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

Ours go into a empty whipped topping containaer , then to the hen house for
further processing . The results go into my compost pile , then to the
garden after a suitable time .

--
Snag

Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/8/2016 5:27 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

Ours go into a empty whipped topping containaer , then to the hen house for
further processing . The results go into my compost pile , then to the
garden after a suitable time .

Years ago we had ten acres to play with and had ducks, chickens, and a
commercial rabbitry. Rabbit manure can straight into the garden, doesn't
burn at all. The other poop had to be composted to be worthwhile. Had a
tall roost for the chickens and a door behind the roost. A friend who
was a cabinet maker gave me all his sawdust and that went under the
chickens roost. The mixture of chicken manure and sawdust was worth its
weight in gold. That was some truly rich stuff.

Not to mention that I worked in a chemical plant for a living and next
door was a fertilizer plant. Used to bring a gallon or two of liquid
fertilizer occasionally. The kids accidentally put to much on a stand of
corn and we had twelve feet tall corn with no ears. At least the cow,
goats, rabbits, etc. enjoyed the chopped corn stalks. G

I'm glad we did that when we were in our twenties, in our mid to late
seventies we wouldn't have the energy.

Picking cucumbers daily, reckon we might have to make some relish or
pickles, we sure as heck can't eat them all.

Good news, it isn't raining at this moment, the ground is still squishy
though.

George
Old 09-06-2016, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

i feed almost everything like that to the worms
one way or another. for temporary storage of stuff
that is wet that might rot quickly i'll put it in
quart yogurt containers and put them in the fridge
until i can put them in the worm buckets.

stuff that i need to dry out (potato peels, carrots)
i slice and stack the trays so the air will flow over
them (in the winter with forced air heat it will dry
stuff out quickly), then i can store it until i use it
without having to do anything else.

when Ma makes fruit salad for 50 she puts it in
the bucket and then i take it and put it right into
the worm bins right away. they love melon peels.

to keep fruit flies and fungus gnats from going
in or out i keep them covered with fine mesh and the
rubber ring that goes in the lid fits around that
outside. you can also use old t-shirts (if they
don't have holes in them). because everything is
buried under a bit of dirt i don't usually smell
anything at all unless i'm actually digging in
them to put stuff in.

songbird
Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:43:35 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

We keep a pail with a lid in the kitchen for scraps. They go out to the sheep every morning.

Paul
Old 14-06-2016, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/08/2016 10:43 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

Hi All,

I am saving all your responses for when I can read them
slowly with an unhurried mind. Thank you all for the

-T

Can I feed salami scraps to birds? MM United Kingdom 13 19-05-2005 03:35 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 14 23-04-2004 02:05 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 0 17-04-2004 08:08 PM
Vegi plants in pots?? Gardening 6 15-05-2003 06:56 PM
Vegi Gardens moya Edible Gardening 16 05-04-2003 04:20 PM