Old 14-06-2016, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default lesson learned

Write on your sprouting cups what they are. I don't want
to talk about it.
Old 14-06-2016, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"T" wrote in message ...
Write on your sprouting cups what they are. I don't want
to talk about it.

Then I wont tell you that this has never happened to me although the wife
might disagree.

Mike

Old 14-06-2016, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/13/2016 07:22 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"T" wrote in message ...
Write on your sprouting cups what they are. I don't want
to talk about it.

Then I wont tell you that this has never happened to me although the wife
might disagree.

Mike

They NEVER forget either. But so long as they think we
are cute, it's okay.

With the exception of the zukes, the sprouts ALL LOOK ALIKE.
I don't even know if a weed seed blew in and is now getting
pampered!

I also am trying two different zuke varieties too. Their
sprouts look the same too. When they fruit I will be able
to tell them apart. One is long and the other is round like
a pumpkin.

You live and learn, although I don't think we are granted
enough years to truly learn what we really need.

:-)

Old 14-06-2016, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"T" wrote in message
Write on your sprouting cups what they are. I don't want
to talk about it.

Then I wont tell you that this has never happened to me although the wife
might disagree.

Mike

They NEVER forget either. But so long as they think we
are cute, it's okay.

With the exception of the zukes, the sprouts ALL LOOK ALIKE.
I don't even know if a weed seed blew in and is now getting
pampered!

I also am trying two different zuke varieties too. Their
sprouts look the same too. When they fruit I will be able
to tell them apart. One is long and the other is round like
a pumpkin.

You live and learn, although I don't think we are granted
enough years to truly learn what we really need.

:-)

All the vegetables we eat today were once a weed, don't worry, it might
be edible, it might be a throw back. Be patient, newbie. G
Old 14-06-2016, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"T" wrote in message
[...]

Hi George,

Actually, from my economic botany class in college, weeds
are not what most think. They are typically agricultural
discards for one reason or another. Dandelions, for instance,
make you pee, so out they went. Weeds have small seeds or
seeds that mimic the other seeds that are in favor. Purslane
has millions of small seeds that looks like poppy seeds.
And they require disturbed soil, meaning it gets turned over,
walked on etc. and that they seek out agricultural activity
as they are discards. (Ever notice dandelions prefer to grow
on pathways that you walk on?)

There is cow pasture out in these parts that they let fallow
for a few months every year. Since cows walked on it, it
is quite disturbed soil The dandelions go crazy. It is
bright yellow and very beautiful to look at. On the other side
of the fence, the cows lined up in military formation
with wild eyes waiting their turn. When the rancher open
the gate, a single blink of your eye and the dandelions vanish.

So, a real weeds are edible, or mostly so. And they seems to
make a great base down my holes.

I have no idea why we here in the states think purslane is
a weeds. It is, but it is so yummy. In part of the world
where it is grown for food "supposedly" (watch the weasel
word) they have lower rates of dementia. And it is higher is
Omega-3 than fish oil.

I have a feeling I am going to be a newbie at this till
the day I die. Never give up!

Death to earwigs; death to weeds, except purslane; Squash bugs
beware!

-T

Hard lesson learned :( Chad Ponds 10 08-11-2003 05:02 AM
with all the good stuff I learned on here I rebuilt our old pond bighead Ponds 19 10-06-2003 03:32 PM
water testing, and a chemistry lesson rnj Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
[IBC] 101 Chemistry Lesson randi sharp Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 04:08 AM
AMC Montessori Springtime Lesson Planning Page Uploaded amonco7 Gardening 0 22-03-2003 11:20 PM