Old 25-06-2016, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default bees still alive

Terry Coombs wrote:
In that case , poison the little suckers in the shed .

yeah, i got up early this morning and gave them
some trouble. it definitely knocked the population
count down, cuz now when i pound on the wall there's
not quite so much noise in there. then i got the
tools out of there i needed and plugged it all up
again for the day.

Good beekeeper
etiquette would be for the owner of those hives to contact you before
placing them ... if they're actually on your property without permission ,
you probably have legal recourse to either make the owner move them or pay
you for the use of your property . My hives are all within 50 feet of the
house and we rarely have any problems . They can be a little ****y during
times of dearth , but usually only bother us when I've been in the hives for
an inspection .

i gotta be diplomatic, yet get the point made...
friends own the property to the north which shares
the access road. i think they forgot completely
that we share that road... what i'm planning on
doing is telling them that it's ok to leave them
this season, but to not put them there next year.
they'd need to put them back another few hundred
feet to not be a problem if we need to use the
access cleared through the trees.

songbird
Old 25-06-2016, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Damn Snag, you the man. I can honestly say I have never been stung by a
honey bee. Wasps, yes, bees no. One of my Dad's friends about sixty
years ago was a bee keeper and taught me how to handle them with a
smoker so we could get their honey. Brought back some good memories to
this old head. Now bumble bees living in the ground are another memory
and not so good, particularly when I drove the bulldozer over their
nest. Rascals hit me in my back so many times they knocked me out. If I
had known they were there I would have left them alone.

that would have been a nightmare! those suckers
hurt! i don't think i've ever been stung by a honey
bee here either, always either a hornet, wasp or
bumblebee and always my fault (except this last time
where she got me twice).

songbird
Old 30-07-2016, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Once upon a time on usenet wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 09:00:14 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 6/24/2016 8:38 AM, songbird wrote:
i plugged them up in the garden shed for the
past four days with no access to water or the
outside and sucked up all the returning foragers
in the vaccume... Ma had to get in there for
something and said they're still in there.

i think some type of mason bee. can sting
more than once. bugger got me before i got
her once in the heel and once on the end of
the index finger of all places. luckily the
sting wore off in a few hours. not allergic.

ok today will be a busy day. hope everyone
is doing well?

songbird

I've had trouble with yellow jackets. They are not pollinators and
have no reason to live.

In past years, I was not allergic but last couple of stings caused
swelling and one on the finger sent me to the doctor for prednisone
as whole hand swelled up.

Benadryl and maybe one of those sting pens are a good idea.

I have to disagree with part of your first statement.
While yellow jackets do little in the way of pollination, they do have
a reason to live as they are a valuable asset in one's garden. They
are great garden pest eliminators who use the spoils of their
victories as food for their young.
If you're a gardener, here's an article that may change your view of
the yellow jackets.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...z1303zkin.aspx
or http://tinyurl.com/gl97lho

Pseudo-science gobbledy-gook.

"The food demands of growing yellow jacket colonies are so great that it has
been estimated that more than 2 pounds of insects may be removed from a
2,000-square-foot garden by yellow jackets."

That sounds impressive huh? Two pounds of insects!!!

However it doesn't say over what time period, what type of garden, what size
colony is needed to acieve that and it doesn't mention that a large
percentage of those insects eaten will be (other?) beneficial insects such
as aphid eaters. Oh, wait ... It says "it has been estimated"! By whom? With
what data?

It's bullshit.

It also doesn't mention the fact that yellowjackets can bypass caterpillars
chemical protection so that they'll always go for the easy-to-see
caterpillars such as monarch butterfly larvae. I grow plants specifically to
nurture several species of ornamental butterflies and the wasps always take
their larvae but never seem to find the well-camoflaged larvae of 'pest
species' such as cabbage white butterfly.

Wasps will completely eradicate a large population of monarch butterfly
larvae while my vegetable crops get eaten to the ground by hornworms and the
like which the wasps never touch.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 30-07-2016, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

~misfit~ wrote:
It also doesn't mention the fact that yellowjackets can bypass caterpillars
chemical protection so that they'll always go for the easy-to-see
caterpillars such as monarch butterfly larvae. I grow plants specifically to
nurture several species of ornamental butterflies and the wasps always take
their larvae but never seem to find the well-camoflaged larvae of 'pest
species' such as cabbage white butterfly.

when i was growing cabbages, i would sit and
watch the wasps gather the eggs and worms. they
did help, but not enough to get them all.

Wasps will completely eradicate a large population of monarch butterfly
larvae while my vegetable crops get eaten to the ground by hornworms and the
like which the wasps never touch.

yes, nothing seems to get the tomato worms
other than me. i've yet to see any signs of the
parasitic bug that supposedly will use them as a
host.

there are at least two tomato worms out there
that i have not found yet, either it is too late
and they are done and back in the ground or they
are being particularly sneaky. oh well, it's ok
there's plenty...

nice rain today and some yesterday too and the
day before plus i watered that morning so the ground
is finally getting a good soaking. it's been a few
months of too dry weather.

a nice day for reading and frogging around here.

songbird
Old 30-07-2016, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/30/2016 7:39 AM, songbird wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

In our Louisiana garden we had to patrol two or three times a day for
tomato worms, have not seen one here at all. We do have a large
population of barn swallows, purple martins, and other insect eating
birds during the day and, at night the bats come out. I know they've
been eating the mosquitoes and have seen them take moths and butterfly's
both. Of course our tomatoes are out now, temps running into 100+ almost
daily. Crowder peas have been pulled, the original cukes are gone but
the new cukes are blooming like crazy. We still have four pepper plants
that are producing but the fruit is much smaller due to the heat. I'm
ready for cooler weather, if it wasn't for AC we couldn't live here.
That being said I grew up in SE Texas and we only had fans, attic fans,
floor fans, any kind of fan we could get. We must have had 20 or more
screened windows in that old house and there was generally a light
breeze blowing, thank goodness for that. My folks had never had AC until
1957, I turned eighteen that year and was in the Navy, who also didn't
have AC.