Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default When to harvest shallots?

George Shirley wrote:
Hell, Snag, we raised two kids to teenage in a 1450 square foot house.
Somehow, after the kids grew up and moved on, we seemed to need larger
houses. We've been from 1900 to 2200 square feet, current house is 1960
and seems small. Or is that all the stuff my artist wife stashes around
here. Not to mention my tool and lumber collection.G

does that include the garage space?

we're at about 1100sq ft here, not counting
the garage. it works for us as we are both
compatible enough. i'm sure some others would
feel it isn't enough space. could use more
storage space or better access to the crawl
space (where we could have a pantry and/or
root cellar). the main part is hexagon shape
so some spots are odd angled. the main bath
isn't even used and we should convert that
space into storage + a shower. eventually i
hope i can do some heat harvesting from the
sun and use that to give us hot water and a
boost for the winter days when we have some
sun...

songbird
Old 06-07-2016, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/6/2016 7:18 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

One of my mother's brother's had property in Colorado. Had a hot spring
and a cold spring up hill. Uncle Jess, back in the twenties, piped each
to his kitchen and bathroom. Free hot and cold running water. He also
piped the hot spring through copper tubing in all the rooms of the house
and put a fan on them. Heat during the winter plus the multiple
fireplaces. We visited that house when I was about fourteen, I was
fascinated by all the neat stuff he had done on his own. He dropped out
of school at fourteen and went off to the Colorado gold mines, later on
he was a carpenter for one of the movie studio's in California, plus he
gold mined in Colorado during the Great Depression and he and his family
lived in the mine. I learned a lot from him, particularly, not to drive
in an arroyo when you see rain on the mountain. He showed me that when
we got out of one and watched the flood go through. Great adventures
with Uncle Jess.

I've never had to build my own home, have built barns, rabbitries,
chicken houses, pig pens, you name it. Some were pretty good, a few just
fell over. G

Picked a nice mess of crowder peas this morning, shucked and in the
fridge. Container is almost full and then all will be frozen and vacuum
bagged for later. Had bison hamburgers last night with french fries, and
crowder peas, pretty good eats. Bought the bison at the local Kroger
store for kicks.

George