Old 29-06-2016, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default When to harvest shallots?

Hi All,

When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die?

-T
Old 02-07-2016, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/28/2016 09:40 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die?

-T

Anyone?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

On 06/28/2016 09:40 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die?

-T

Anyone?

Sorry, I've not (successfully) grown them - tried the "shallots from
seed" foolishness (look, in the mirror - a fool) a few years back and
had disappointing "results" - need to pick the brains of the local farm
that manages to grow respectable ones - not, I think, from seed.

If the tops have died back, you might just as well pick/dig them, since
they won't be doing much growing and if they do, it will aimed at next
season...

Old 02-07-2016, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/01/2016 07:12 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

On 06/28/2016 09:40 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die?

-T

Anyone?

Sorry, I've not (successfully) grown them - tried the "shallots from
seed" foolishness (look, in the mirror - a fool) a few years back and
had disappointing "results" - need to pick the brains of the local farm
that manages to grow respectable ones - not, I think, from seed.

If the tops have died back, you might just as well pick/dig them, since
they won't be doing much growing and if they do, it will aimed at next
season...

Thank you!

Makes sense. Their tops are now half dead. The hold over
from last year is completely dead, so I think I will dig
him up first.

Not to ask too stupid a question, but dig them up with a
trowel or a shovel?

Many thanks,
-T

Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

On 06/28/2016 09:40 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I use a fork ... no , not the kind you eat with , a big 4 tine made of
cast metal . Loosens the soil so you can sift thru it to get the bulbs out .

--
Snag

Old 02-07-2016, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Not to ask too stupid a question, but dig them up with a
trowel or a shovel?

how deep did you plant them? i don't think they
would develop well if planted too deeply.

i usually have to dig up any stray garlic plants
using a shovel in this clay or i'd be hurting my
wrist/hands to do it with a trowel. in the more
formal gardens i can use a hand trowel and pull it
out at the same time.

songbird
Old 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die?

Anyone?

never grown them, but would treat them like the
onions or garlic (harvest when the top is almost
half to three quarters brown or otherwise shows
signs of not growing any more).

songbird
Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I use a fork ... no , not the kind you eat with , a big 4 tine made of
cast metal . Loosens the soil so you can sift thru it to get the bulbs out .

i broke one of those here the first 5 minutes
i was trying to dig potatoes out of the clay.
we don't bother growing them any more (Ma hates
the bugs and we don't eat that many of them
anyways).

luckily most of the gardens i grow veggies in
have improved a great deal since those early years.

how's the addition going?

songbird
Old 02-07-2016, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2016 12:09 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I use a fork ... no , not the kind you eat with , a big 4 tine made of
cast metal . Loosens the soil so you can sift thru it to get the bulbs out .

i broke one of those here the first 5 minutes
i was trying to dig potatoes out of the clay.
we don't bother growing them any more (Ma hates
the bugs and we don't eat that many of them
anyways).

luckily most of the gardens i grow veggies in
have improved a great deal since those early years.

how's the addition going?

songbird

We have a spading fork made of top steel that we bought probably 30
years ago. Of course we used it in good soil so no danger of breaking.
We use it infrequently here and that's only in the heavily amended beds
along the back fence.

George
Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I use a fork ... no , not the kind you eat with , a big 4 tine
made of cast metal . Loosens the soil so you can sift thru it to get
the bulbs out .

i broke one of those here the first 5 minutes
i was trying to dig potatoes out of the clay.
we don't bother growing them any more (Ma hates
the bugs and we don't eat that many of them
anyways).

luckily most of the gardens i grow veggies in
have improved a great deal since those early years.

how's the addition going?

songbird

We've been cooking in there for about a week now , I sure do like this new
stove . The Missus likes the dishwasher ... but then she's the one that was
doing them by hand in that teeny tiny camper sink .
I'll be running the water/drain lines for the W/M and vent for the dryer
tomorrow . Shoulda run the power today but I decided to bake instead . Two
loaves of bread and a dozen cinnamon rolls this afternoon . This morning I
made new legs for a short table we're using as a temporary island and did a
beer run on the new trike we got for the wife . Sure is different from two
wheels !
--
Snag

Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

how's the addition going?

We've been cooking in there for about a week now , I sure do like this new
stove . The Missus likes the dishwasher ... but then she's the one that was
doing them by hand in that teeny tiny camper sink .

I'll be running the water/drain lines for the W/M and vent for the dryer
tomorrow . Shoulda run the power today but I decided to bake instead . Two
loaves of bread and a dozen cinnamon rolls this afternoon . This morning I
made new legs for a short table we're using as a temporary island and did a
beer run on the new trike we got for the wife . Sure is different from two
wheels !

glad it has come together. is the interior finished
already? you've been busy!

are the two wheels in front or back? i recall the
front single tire is tricky at times. i am watching
Elio Motors and hoping they will have something in
production for a while and be around when i need a
new small car. my current one is probably good for
another 20yrs though...

songbird
Old 03-07-2016, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

how's the addition going?

We've been cooking in there for about a week now , I sure do like
this new stove . The Missus likes the dishwasher ... but then she's
the one that was doing them by hand in that teeny tiny camper sink .

I'll be running the water/drain lines for the W/M and vent for the
dryer tomorrow . Shoulda run the power today but I decided to bake
instead . Two loaves of bread and a dozen cinnamon rolls this
afternoon . This morning I made new legs for a short table we're
using as a temporary island and did a beer run on the new trike we
got for the wife . Sure is different from two wheels !

glad it has come together. is the interior finished
already? you've been busy!

I have unfinished drywall up behind the countertop/stove/refrigerator area
, the rest is just bare insulation - and will be that way until I get her a
bedroom built . I expect construction on that to begin sometime in late July
..

are the two wheels in front or back? i recall the
front single tire is tricky at times. i am watching
Elio Motors and hoping they will have something in
production for a while and be around when i need a
new small car. my current one is probably good for
another 20yrs though...

songbird

Two in back , this trike is based on a 2009 Sportster Low . It does have a
lower C/G than a lot of bike-based units ... but I'm nowhere near finding
it's limits , mine at this time are much lower .

--
Snag

Old 04-07-2016, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

glad it has come together. is the interior finished
already? you've been busy!

I have unfinished drywall up behind the countertop/stove/refrigerator area
, the rest is just bare insulation - and will be that way until I get her a
bedroom built . I expect construction on that to begin sometime in late July
.

it is getting to be very hot out there now here for
big/heavy projects. i get a few hours in during the
morning cool and then take it easy the rest of the
day puttering around.

is the new bedroom all new from the foundation up
or just finishing up what has already been framed in?

are the two wheels in front or back? i recall the
front single tire is tricky at times. i am watching
Elio Motors and hoping they will have something in
production for a while and be around when i need a
new small car. my current one is probably good for
another 20yrs though...

Two in back , this trike is based on a 2009 Sportster Low . It does have a
lower C/G than a lot of bike-based units ... but I'm nowhere near finding
it's limits , mine at this time are much lower .

g.l.! and be careful out there! Ma had some
lady on a motorcycle pull out in front of her
the other day (the lady didn't even look). if Ma
had been going a little faster it would have been
a mess. i told Ma to assume that everyone doesn't
see her and to drive more carefully. lucky and
good for her she didn't hit the gal.

songbird
Old 04-07-2016, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

glad it has come together. is the interior finished
already? you've been busy!

I have unfinished drywall up behind the
countertop/stove/refrigerator area , the rest is just bare
insulation - and will be that way until I get her a bedroom built .
I expect construction on that to begin sometime in late July .

it is getting to be very hot out there now here for
big/heavy projects. i get a few hours in during the
morning cool and then take it easy the rest of the
day puttering around.

is the new bedroom all new from the foundation up
or just finishing up what has already been framed in?

songbird

All new from the ground up ... the plan is for another 24x24 room opposite
the kitchen/dining . That'll give us a total of 24 by 64 , for over 1500 sf
for the two of us .

--
Snag

Old 04-07-2016, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/4/2016 8:38 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

glad it has come together. is the interior finished
already? you've been busy!

I have unfinished drywall up behind the
countertop/stove/refrigerator area , the rest is just bare
insulation - and will be that way until I get her a bedroom built .
I expect construction on that to begin sometime in late July .

it is getting to be very hot out there now here for
big/heavy projects. i get a few hours in during the
morning cool and then take it easy the rest of the
day puttering around.

is the new bedroom all new from the foundation up
or just finishing up what has already been framed in?

songbird

All new from the ground up ... the plan is for another 24x24 room opposite
the kitchen/dining . That'll give us a total of 24 by 64 , for over 1500 sf
for the two of us .

Hell, Snag, we raised two kids to teenage in a 1450 square foot house.
Somehow, after the kids grew up and moved on, we seemed to need larger
houses. We've been from 1900 to 2200 square feet, current house is 1960
and seems small. Or is that all the stuff my artist wife stashes around
here. Not to mention my tool and lumber collection.G

I grew up in a 1200 square foot house that seemed more than adequate for
two parents and a growing boy. Plus we built it ourselves from two old
WWII Navy barracks. I was nine when we started and twelve when we
finally finished. Dad works swing shift so he had to sleep sometime. Big
adventure for a small boy. Plus the only thing we had to buy was
aluminum roofing. My first job on that one was straightening the used
nails on a piece of railroad rail, then sharpen the pointy end with a
file. Built it between 1949 and 1953 if I remember correctly. Most of
our extended family built their own homes with family help.

Gives you a real feel of satisfaction to build the place where you live.
Congratulations on another achievement.

George