Old 29-06-2016, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default garlic beds?

Hi All,

I was thinking of digging up a spot in my garden, burring
a bunch of weeds and melon rinds I have been saving in
the freezer, waiting till the first freeze, then replanting
garlic.

Good idea?

-T
Old 29-06-2016, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking of digging up a spot in my garden, burring
a bunch of weeds and melon rinds I have been saving in
the freezer, waiting till the first freeze, then replanting
garlic.

anytime in the fall is fine.

i've replanted as soon as i've harvested
and it's worked. i've also planted the day
before the ground froze.

they're bulbs. they put down roots and start
growing before winter if you give them a chance.

right now i have a lot of tulips i could go
out and dig up, divide and replant, not going
to happen, but within a month some of them will
already be putting out new roots to start growing
again to be ready for next spring.

songbird
Old 29-06-2016, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/29/2016 03:52 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking of digging up a spot in my garden, burring
a bunch of weeds and melon rinds I have been saving in
the freezer, waiting till the first freeze, then replanting
garlic.

anytime in the fall is fine.

i've replanted as soon as i've harvested
and it's worked. i've also planted the day
before the ground froze.

they're bulbs. they put down roots and start
growing before winter if you give them a chance.

right now i have a lot of tulips i could go
out and dig up, divide and replant, not going
to happen, but within a month some of them will
already be putting out new roots to start growing
again to be ready for next spring.

songbird

Thank you!

Would it hurt to plant then 6" above where I dump
all the melon rinds, etc.? Or do I need to
wait awhile?
Old 30-06-2016, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Would it hurt to plant then 6" above where I dump
all the melon rinds, etc.? Or do I need to
wait awhile?

do you have worms in your garden soil?

melon rinds are like worm crack. they
love 'em. will eat through them in a few
days here when i put them in the buckets.
i don't put all of them in one bucket (too
much moisture at once).

hmm, i think the cost of keeping stuff in
the freezer or fridge is not worth it and
would bury them in the gardens asap, spread
them out around and bury them deep enough
that flies/animals won't be attracted to
them. let the worms work their magic on
them.

i fed some of my worms the strawberry
tops that were fermenting. i think some of
the worms may have gotten a bit drunk.
*hic* since i just restarted most of the
buckets not too long ago i was curious to
see how the worms were doing. they looked
to be doing pretty good.

songbird
Old 02-07-2016, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/29/2016 04:48 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Would it hurt to plant then 6" above where I dump
all the melon rinds, etc.? Or do I need to
wait awhile?

do you have worms in your garden soil?

Of all my digging this season, I have found two worms. Well,
one and two halves (victim of my ax).

I am tempted to go buy fishing worms, but I don't
think they are the right kind.

melon rinds are like worm crack. they
love 'em. will eat through them in a few
days here when i put them in the buckets.
i don't put all of them in one bucket (too
much moisture at once).

You mentioned that. That is why I now keep melon rinds.
I was thinking of burying them under my new garlic bed

hmm, i think the cost of keeping stuff in
the freezer or fridge is not worth it

They are in the freeze with my grass fed beef order. Not
costing me anything other than the initial cool down.

I froze them because I did not want any decomposing until
I buried them. Didn't want to deprive the worms of anything.

and
would bury them in the gardens asap,

I only get to garden seriously about two days a week
do to my wife's health issues I won't go into.

spread
them out around and bury them deep enough
that flies/animals won't be attracted to
them. let the worms work their magic on
them.

That was my goal!

i fed some of my worms the strawberry
tops that were fermenting. i think some of
the worms may have gotten a bit drunk.
*hic* since i just restarted most of the
buckets not too long ago i was curious to
see how the worms were doing. they looked
to be doing pretty good.

songbird

Question: do I have to wait a certain amount of time before
planting my garlic above the rinds? I was going to spread the
rinds out about 8 to 12" down and plant the garlic cloves
about 2" down.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Would it hurt to plant then 6" above where I dump
all the melon rinds, etc.? Or do I need to
wait awhile?

do you have worms in your garden soil?

Of all my digging this season, I have found two worms. Well,
one and two halves (victim of my ax).

I am tempted to go buy fishing worms, but I don't
think they are the right kind.

if you get what are often called belgian night
crawlers they are excellent composting worms (in
a bucket). breed fast. i started with 30 and
within a few months i had 26 adults left but over
200 babies. that's the last time i counted
because the processes went from one bin to three
buckets and the bin and then after that it went
to fourteen buckets and the bin and now it is at
sixteen buckets and the bin. i have no more
room i want to use for this now so that is my
limit with my space. the total count varies now
from about 50,000 - 200,000 worms depending upon
the season. in the spring i max out and put most
of them out in the gardens and then restart the
buckets using those i hold back for that reason.
i need a certain base number to restart and still
have the capacity to take care of whatever Ma
decides to come up with in her cooking.

if you want to add other worms to the mix
(earthworms you find in your gardens) to encourage
diversity that is possible and what i've done here
but earthworms are not the same as composting worms
so i may have some in the regular buckets but i
also keep a few buckets of just native worms so
that they can breed without competition for space
or resources from the composting worms. avoid
keeping night crawlers (largest worms often sold
for fishing) in buckets as they do not do well in
captivity. i have had some and eventually put
them out in the gardens to live because they need
more space than what a small container provides.

some worms need dirt, so i have that in some
of the buckets along with layers of partially
decayed wood chips which gives the composting worms
what they need for bedding too. by the end of a
year it is all fairly mixed together and the worms
have chewed through the paper scraps and fruits
and veggie scraps too. i don't sort the worms
out i just take it all out to the gardens and
use it for planting the most nutrient demanding
veggies. when i am done planting i take some dirt
from the gardens back in with me to mix with
the rest of the stuff i use to restart the buckets.

squash/pumpkin and melon seeds i try to take
out before they get digested because later you
will find them sprouting from your plantings if
you don't. tomato seedlings come up too
but those i just trim back.

melon rinds are like worm crack. they
love 'em. will eat through them in a few
days here when i put them in the buckets.
i don't put all of them in one bucket (too
much moisture at once).

You mentioned that. That is why I now keep melon rinds.
I was thinking of burying them under my new garlic bed

they ferment/evaporate down to almost nothing
and if there are any worms about they'll munch on
them. fairly gone within days either way.

hmm, i think the cost of keeping stuff in
the freezer or fridge is not worth it

They are in the freeze with my grass fed beef order. Not
costing me anything other than the initial cool down.

I froze them because I did not want any decomposing until
I buried them. Didn't want to deprive the worms of anything.

yeah, freezing them will make them break
down even faster when they thaw. you're
lucky to have the freezer space. we usually
do not, so that i why i keep a lot of worm
buckets so that when i have peak input flow
(from Ma making fruit salad for 50) i can
spread it all out among the buckets and not
have a fermenting smelly mess.

and
would bury them in the gardens asap,

I only get to garden seriously about two days a week
do to my wife's health issues I won't go into.

ah. ok. they will keep in the fridge for
a few days. worms won't mind fermenting or
soft rinds.

spread
them out around and bury them deep enough
that flies/animals won't be attracted to
them. let the worms work their magic on
them.

That was my goal!

i fed some of my worms the strawberry
tops that were fermenting. i think some of
the worms may have gotten a bit drunk.
*hic* since i just restarted most of the
buckets not too long ago i was curious to
see how the worms were doing. they looked
to be doing pretty good.

Question: do I have to wait a certain amount of time before
planting my garlic above the rinds? I was going to spread the
rinds out about 8 to 12" down and plant the garlic cloves
about 2" down.

considering they're mostly gone within a few
days to a week you could put them down closer
than that. since they turn into almost nothing
at all quickly. i would not put them down
touching the new cloves, but a few inches deeper
is probably ok.

as the results are very slight (other than
liquid) you probably won't notice much of any
difference. settling of the area is going to
happen...

it is over the long haul with veggie scraps,
paper scraps, etc. that you will see the change.

i keep the buckets for about a year before they
get put into the gardens. what i start with is
quite different than when i put them out into the
gardens. concentrated by many thousand worms
digesting all those scraps. the water evaporates
off. each time i put new scraps in a bucket i
check the moisture level and add more if it seems
to be needed. it can get pretty swampy down
deep in a bucket and the worms will be just fine
as long as they aren't actually swimming. i find
them throughout the entire depth of the bucket
too. that is why i layer things. it is much
lighter if you don't add much dirt or water but
i like having a mix of worm species so the dirt
goes in and i keep them well hydrated so the
worms don't go dormant.

songbird

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 12:31 PM
RAISED VEGETABLE GARDEN BEDS Jane Gardening 3 31-03-2003 05:44 AM
Raised Beds Orientation? Fred Le Blanc Gardening 2 30-03-2003 10:56 AM
Filling raised beds Tony Gardening 11 14-02-2003 07:27 PM
Adding Compost To Mulched Flower Beds Fleemo Gardening 9 07-02-2003 08:34 PM