Old 20-07-2016, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Storing Potatoes

Does anyone have a good method for storing potatoes? Keeping them refrigerated works, but we have limited refrigerator space. A few years back, we put them in old milk crates in the basement but they rotted. I thought of vacuum packing them and storing the vacuum bags in the basement, where it's cool.

Paul
Old 20-07-2016, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
Does anyone have a good method for storing potatoes? Keeping them refrigerated works, but we have limited refrigerator space. A few years back, we put them in old milk crates in the basement but they rotted. I thought of vacuum packing them and storing the vacuum bags in the basement, where it's cool.

we don't grow them here or even bother to
store any we have other than keeping them
in the dark cupboard until we use them.

they seem to do ok as long as they are
kept dark, dry and cool. maybe layers of
newspapers between them might help?

another possibility is to pressure
can them which then means no fridge or
freezer space is needed.

i've heard some people leave them in
the ground until they need them. since
i've found them in the worm buckets some
time after i think they'd do ok that ways
for some time.

i wish i could grow sweet potatoes as a
perennial here. they are a pretty cool
looking edible ground cover besides the tuber
having such good nutrition and flavor.

songbird
Old 05-08-2016, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:05:02 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
Does anyone have a good method for storing potatoes? Keeping them refrigerated works, but we have limited refrigerator space. A few years back, we put them in old milk crates in the basement but they rotted. I thought of vacuum packing them and storing the vacuum bags in the basement, where it's cool.

i've heard some people leave them in
the ground until they need them.

I have found this to be the best method for potatoes.
Sometimes not very convenient, but at least they keep perfectly until
they start to sprout when spring arrives.

On this topic, does anyone have some good storage solutions for garlic
and pumpkins? by that I mean aside from the common methods... which
work well, but not for long enough I find.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jeßus wrote:
On this topic, does anyone have some good storage solutions for garlic
and pumpkins? by that I mean aside from the common methods... which
work well, but not for long enough I find.

depends upon what type of garlic and what
condition it is in when harvested.

first make sure they are well cured and then
place them in flats and cover them with towels
to keep them dark. i then leave them in the
garage all winter (which does get freezing cold
and the temperature and humidity fluctuates).

the garlic i picked a few days ago will be fine
up until next spring or later.

in contrast i brought some inside and stored it
in flats here in my room. it didn't do nearly as
well. too warm, not enough humidity, too much
light, not sure which or of course all of these
factors could be a problem.

songbird
Old 29-08-2016, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 23:54:02 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On this topic, does anyone have some good storage solutions for garlic
and pumpkins? by that I mean aside from the common methods... which
work well, but not for long enough I find.

depends upon what type of garlic and what
condition it is in when harvested.

first make sure they are well cured and then
place them in flats and cover them with towels
to keep them dark. i then leave them in the
garage all winter (which does get freezing cold
and the temperature and humidity fluctuates).

the garlic i picked a few days ago will be fine
up until next spring or later.

in contrast i brought some inside and stored it
in flats here in my room. it didn't do nearly as
well. too warm, not enough humidity, too much
light, not sure which or of course all of these
factors could be a problem.

A somewhat belated thank you songbird, I like the towel idea which I
will try. I've been hanging my garlic in a garage too, which keeps
cool most of the time.

Old 29-08-2016, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jeßus wrote:
A somewhat belated thank you songbird, I like the towel idea which I
will try. I've been hanging my garlic in a garage too, which keeps
cool most of the time.

old towels.

i barely will have one flat this year by
the time i get the planting cloves ready.

songbird

storing potatoes hillier United Kingdom 4 09-08-2005 01:14 PM
storing potatoes Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 28-05-2005 04:45 PM
Storing Potatoes? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 10-10-2003 10:13 AM
storing potatoes miklol United Kingdom 1 31-07-2003 08:33 PM
Storing early potatoes John Towill United Kingdom 1 28-07-2003 07:13 PM