Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 'Maters !

On 8/8/2016 5:12 AM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
T wrote:
On 08/03/2016 02:29 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:

Hi Terry,

So, how about your recipes ???

I am the cook too in the family. I love it when my
wife's ends her sentences with "... and I completely
cognisant of the fact that you cook!"

Live is good!

-T

Oh , and ot'll take me a day or so to write down a couple of my
best , but here's one for some fajita seasoning :
1 tbsp flour
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chicken bullion
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
I usually increase the onion and garlic powders a little . You can
delete the cayenne if you plan to use fresh chopped hot peppers
(serranos and anaheims are good) . I sprinkle some on the meat as
soon as it hits the pan , add enough to coat well when the meat's
cooked then add a dash of water . makes for a nice even coating of
seasoning on the meat . Of course it goes with out saying that there
will be onions and a little green pepper in with the meat ... and
seasoned rice and refritos on the side .

Awesome! Thank you!

Creole Seasoning
units can vary , how much do you want to make ?

2 measures onion powder
2 garlic powder
2 oregano
2 basil
1 thyme
1 black pepper
1 cayenne (or ground up dried serrano)
5 paprika
3 salt

and my favorite
SnagRub

5 onion powder
2 garlic powder
1 paprika
2 salt
4 chili powder
6 brown sugar
It will clump some if left standing , just shake it up .
This is the dry rub I use on my smoked pork butts and shoulders . It's
also good sprinkled on grilled skinned chicken or used as a "marinade"
for pork chops/steaks/country style ribs . The marinade is a couple of
tablespoons of white cooking wine to a quarter cup or so of rub with the
meat and all in a ziplock bag .
--
Snag

All recipes noted down and if I change anything over the course of time
these will become MY recipes.

Thanks

Mike

That's what all decent cooks do Mike. Find someone else's recipe and
claim it. I have receipes from my great grandmother, grandmother,
mother, etc. All handwritten in a shaky hand, they have all gone to
their reward many years ago. I even have some fifty year old cook books
that we still use. If someone leaves their secret recipe lying around it
means they want to have someone steal it. G That's how "good" cooks
spread their recipes around.

When we first married, 57 years ago, we only trusted Betty Crocker. G
I think I might go fishing this afternoon, to hot to do anything else.
Tilly Dawg Shirley goes for a CAT scan at 0900, we're still trying to
find what is making her sneeze and cough so much which wakes me up a lot
over the night.

George
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

[...]

All but the dry rub recipe became mine that way . The SnagRub recipe is an
original collaboration of my daughter and I though .
--
Snag

Bloomin' Maters and other matters Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 1 16-05-2015 08:19 PM
Maters or watermelon Dave Texas 5 22-07-2007 05:11 AM
"maters" Jonny Texas 8 30-10-2006 02:09 AM
The Maters are HERE!!! Cheetah Gardening 1 11-07-2004 07:02 AM
yellow spots on 'maters Elliot Richmond Texas 0 30-05-2003 04:20 PM