Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default when to pick a pepper

Hi All,

No Peter Piper jokes, unless they are funny, the yo have
dispensation.

I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is
about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging
from it.

I am concerned that

1) I pick it too soon and miss a larger fruit

2) I do not realize the peppers are as big as they are
going to get on a 12" tall plant and the plant will
think it is "finished" with its cycle and stop producing

When is it time to pick a pepper?

Many thanks,
-T

The other Sandia plant now has a lot of new leaves
and "seems" to be recovering.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

No Peter Piper jokes, unless they are funny, the yo have
dispensation.

I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is
about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging
from it.

When is it time to pick a pepper?

Well, if it's a _Sandia_ pepper, you wait for a dark night, and go out
to see if it's softly glowing blue.

(Spent a little too much time in a lab wearing a dosage badge a long
time ago - that's a joke, I say a joke, son, and I neither like nor grow
peppers so I'm otherwise useless for your question) - I suppose there is
the question of whether this particular sort of pepper turns color
(probably not blue, nor glowing in the dark) when ripe.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/3/2016 9:55 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

No Peter Piper jokes, unless they are funny, the yo have
dispensation.

I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is
about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging
from it.

When is it time to pick a pepper?

Well, if it's a _Sandia_ pepper, you wait for a dark night, and go out
to see if it's softly glowing blue.

(Spent a little too much time in a lab wearing a dosage badge a long
time ago - that's a joke, I say a joke, son, and I neither like nor grow
peppers so I'm otherwise useless for your question) - I suppose there is
the question of whether this particular sort of pepper turns color
(probably not blue, nor glowing in the dark) when ripe.

Used to grow them and I am not an expert but there is nobody answering.
I recall you can pick them anytime but they might tend to get "woody" if
too old. It is nice to see color though just not go too long.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is
about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging
from it.

I am concerned that

1) I pick it too soon and miss a larger fruit

2) I do not realize the peppers are as big as they are
going to get on a 12" tall plant and the plant will
think it is "finished" with its cycle and stop producing

When is it time to pick a pepper?

never grown them here. so you have more
knowledge and experience than i do...

what does google say?

are they grown for dried pepper/storage or
fresh eating or roasting or pickling?

songbird
Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
Well, if it's a _Sandia_ pepper, you wait for a dark night, and go out
to see if it's softly glowing blue.

heh...

(Spent a little too much time in a lab wearing a dosage badge a long
time ago - that's a joke, I say a joke, son, and I neither like nor grow
peppers so I'm otherwise useless for your question) - I suppose there is
the question of whether this particular sort of pepper turns color
(probably not blue, nor glowing in the dark) when ripe.

if my lab days were writ in any color it would be
phosphor green.

at least after i graduated to using a terminal instead
of punched cards.

songbird

Old 05-08-2016, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Used to grow them and I am not an expert but there is nobody answering.
I recall you can pick them anytime but they might tend to get "woody" if
too old. It is nice to see color though just not go too long.

my lack of knowledge aside... you can sometimes
tell by heft if the pepper has much meat in it or
not (to avoid picking too early). yet this does
require at least some familiarity with the peppers
how they should be normally and the end goal (are
they for dry storage, pickling, etc.).

songbird
Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/04/2016 09:23 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
Used to grow them and I am not an expert but there is nobody answering.
I recall you can pick them anytime but they might tend to get "woody" if
too old. It is nice to see color though just not go too long.

my lack of knowledge aside... you can sometimes
tell by heft if the pepper has much meat in it or
not (to avoid picking too early). yet this does
require at least some familiarity with the peppers
how they should be normally and the end goal (are
they for dry storage, pickling, etc.).

songbird

Uh Oh. I have only dealt with this pepper dried before
Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/04/2016 09:20 PM, songbird wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
Well, if it's a _Sandia_ pepper, you wait for a dark night, and go out
to see if it's softly glowing blue.

heh...

(Spent a little too much time in a lab wearing a dosage badge a long
time ago - that's a joke, I say a joke, son, and I neither like nor grow
peppers so I'm otherwise useless for your question) - I suppose there is
the question of whether this particular sort of pepper turns color
(probably not blue, nor glowing in the dark) when ripe.

if my lab days were writ in any color it would be
phosphor green.

at least after i graduated to using a terminal instead
of punched cards.

songbird

Okay you two. I know you are pulling my leg. I know
that hots pepper grow "red" in the dark. The "blue" ones
are those yukky sweet pepper those folks above the Mason/Dixon
line cook with. The green glowers are the really gross ones
and are the color of, well I will stop here as it is a
family group.

So, fellows, I am not tricked. Ha! I AM NOT FOOLED!

:-)

-T

Too bad I can't use my horse s*** for fertilizer. My
plants would be 20 feet tall!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/04/2016 09:18 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is
about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging
from it.

I am concerned that

1) I pick it too soon and miss a larger fruit

2) I do not realize the peppers are as big as they are
going to get on a 12" tall plant and the plant will
think it is "finished" with its cycle and stop producing

When is it time to pick a pepper?

never grown them here. so you have more
knowledge and experience than i do...

what does google say?

are they grown for dried pepper/storage or
fresh eating or roasting or pickling?

songbird

Oh, you take them out of the peat moss cup and transfer
them to a bigger pot. Give them water and wait.

About as much help as attracting bird to eat nocturnal
earwigs.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

You CAN use horse manure for fertilizer , but it needs to be "hot
composted" first to kill whatever seeds make it thru the horse's digestive
tract . Cow manure on the other hand can be applied directly as it comes
from the cow ...
--
Snag

Old 08-08-2016, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

DO NOT use race horse manure, they get more drugs than humans, can cause
problems when humans eat the produce that grows in it. Found that out
many years ago.

The best animal manure is rabbit, doesn't need composting, goes straight
into the garden row and is pretty rich too. We once had a commercial
rabbitry and we used everything but the squeal. Chicken, pigeon, pig,
etc. definitely need composting to completion.

George, farm boy many years and years ago
Old 09-08-2016, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

You two do realize the horse s*** I was referring to was
that which came out of my mouth?

Rabbit poop? Huh.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Uh Oh. I have only dealt with this pepper dried before

i've never grown any dried pepper, not sure how
i would finish them.

George might know, he has mentioned before that
he's grown a lot of hot peppers. but maybe he was
only growing them to make pepper sauces or something?
hmm...

songbird
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/8/2016 10:44 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Uh Oh. I have only dealt with this pepper dried before

i've never grown any dried pepper, not sure how
i would finish them.

George might know, he has mentioned before that
he's grown a lot of hot peppers. but maybe he was
only growing them to make pepper sauces or something?
hmm...

songbird

Before my throat burned out I used to make a lot of pepper sauce, also
hot pepper flakes for sprinkling on. Nowadays it's only sweet peppers
and we eat them raw, cooked in many sorts of dishes, and many bags of
chopped peppers in vacuum bags for ease in finding them for cooking.

I may have mentioned this before but I used to swap Chile seeds all over
the world by postal. One of my best trades was a guy in Bucharest who
traded some really hot Chile's that I can't remember the name of. I then
grew the !@#$% hot ones, traded seeds off all over North America, and
finally just quit eating the things at all. Then all the terrorism stuff
started and no mo' swapping peppers. I made some really good hot sauces
back then that were very tasty.

Here's a hint, but not about chillies, grow some New Zealand spinach,
very tasty leaves when cooked or raw. In temperate climates they will
reseed for years. At each leaf junction the plant makes its seeds, not
round nor square but almost square. I need to get another start as they
finally gave up trying to grow. I see online that the seed packets run
from $US3 to $US 1+.

Miss Tilly Dawg Shirley had a growth removed from her nose yesterday and
is happily recovering at home. The vets around Houston are very
expensive, a little over two grand on this one, but she's worth it all,
best dog we've ever had.

George
Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Before my throat burned out I used to make a lot of pepper sauce, also
hot pepper flakes for sprinkling on. Nowadays it's only sweet peppers
and we eat them raw, cooked in many sorts of dishes, and many bags of
chopped peppers in vacuum bags for ease in finding them for cooking.

how do you get them finished? do you leave them on
the plant until they've dried completely or do you pull
the plant and hang it or what?

i've never done any dried pepper anything...

[...]

aw! glad it was something that could be taken
care of.

gonna be out there weeding, watering today
and get the cucumbers picked through again. will be
another hot day later.

songbird