Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hot

At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is
showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years.
We're hiding in the air conditioned house.

Gardens will have to wait to be watered until around 9pm CST when the
sun is actually going down. Birds aren't flying or singing, maybe the
bug eating birds will fly after dark around the retention pond.

George
Old 12-08-2016, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/11/2016 7:27 PM, George Shirley wrote:
At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is
showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years.
We're hiding in the air conditioned house.

Gardens will have to wait to be watered until around 9pm CST when the
sun is actually going down. Birds aren't flying or singing, maybe the
bug eating birds will fly after dark around the retention pond.

George

Running in upper 90's with high humidity here in northern DE. Hard to
do anything outside.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is
showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years.
We're hiding in the air conditioned house.

Gardens will have to wait to be watered until around 9pm CST when the
sun is actually going down. Birds aren't flying or singing, maybe the
bug eating birds will fly after dark around the retention pond.

finally got a little rain tonight and hoping for
more the next few days. we'll see, but it looks
hopeful.

hot today, yep, again looking to moderate a bit
tomorrow and then even better through next week at
least until Thursday. i really want to get back
out and get some digging done. i've been able to
weed a few hours here or there in the morning and
get some watering done, but that's pretty much it
for the day.

putting up pickles yesterday. that was enough too...

songbird
Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/11/2016 04:27 PM, George Shirley wrote:
At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is
showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years.
We're hiding in the air conditioned house.

Gardens will have to wait to be watered until around 9pm CST when the
sun is actually going down. Birds aren't flying or singing, maybe the
bug eating birds will fly after dark around the retention pond.

George

90 to 100F here in the day. 50-55F at night. Humidity
is about 30% right now, but will dip to abut 10 to 15%
as the day goes on. No rain in sight.

I have been watering after dark too. Is that a good idea?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/12/2016 10:57 AM, T wrote:
On 08/11/2016 04:27 PM, George Shirley wrote:
At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is
showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years.
We're hiding in the air conditioned house.

Gardens will have to wait to be watered until around 9pm CST when the
sun is actually going down. Birds aren't flying or singing, maybe the
bug eating birds will fly after dark around the retention pond.

George

90 to 100F here in the day. 50-55F at night. Humidity
is about 30% right now, but will dip to abut 10 to 15%
as the day goes on. No rain in sight.

Humidity here is always high, we're fifty miles from the Gulf of Mexico
and have a river and several lakes nearby. Living near Houston, TX means
living with high humidity and to many people and vehicles. That being
said, this where our children, grands, and great live so we do too.

I have been watering after dark too. Is that a good idea?

It beats watering in the hot sun and letting the plants blister. Try not
to get the leaves and stems wet, we water with small soaker hoses and
keep an eye on them. We run the water on extreme low and sometimes let
it soak overnight. Wet plants at night can bring on mold and other
things you don't want.

Old 13-08-2016, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/12/2016 11:36 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/12/2016 10:57 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I use a soaker wand and trigger it under the canopy. Each plant
get about 1 to 3 cups of water every day. Leaves never get
wet. I started doing it this way as the muni is putting
in water meters. And when you spray the trunks, the squash bugs
come wandering out, making them easy to kill
Old 13-08-2016, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/12/2016 10:57 AM, T wrote:
[...]

Everything here has a meter, gas, water, electric, no one comes to read
them as they all have computers on them that send the usage straight to
the company. I wonder how many meter readers were laid off when they
started that.

Moving back home to Texas was a real shock after 24 years in rural
Louisiana. We had meter readers by the house every month. I always knew
when they were there when the dog threw a fit.

Back in the day when electric meters had the same size studs a friend of
mine got caught pulling his meter out and reversing the studs. He even
had a stash of electric company tags so they wouldn't know,
unfortunately they caught him one day when he forgot to put it back
right. I think that's when the electric company changed meters with two
different sized studs. In addition they put his meter 20 feet up the
pole and charged him a fee for having to climb it to read the meter.

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM