Old 14-08-2016, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain

We had a nice, soft, rain yesterday, last night and most of this
morning. About 2.2 inches and everything in the yard seems to be
thankful as it is all green and doing well.

There are hopes for more rain this afternoon and maybe through tomorrow.
Our friends in Baton Rouge, LA were lucky to be on high ground as the
city is badly flooded and may stay that way for awhile. Hopefully they
won't get another deluge.

The receiver for my automatic rain gauge quit working this past week,
due to rain I couldn't get it down until around noon today. I think the
batteries just gave out from the heat but the cup was full of spider
webs and spider poop plus dead bugs. Who would have thought spider's
would turn the gauge into a condo. Took it down, cleaned it out, put in
new batteries, put it back up but in a different location. One where I
don't have to step into SWMBO's flower bed anymore, which bed wasn't
there when I put the rain gauge up. G

George
Old 15-08-2016, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

We had a nice, soft, rain yesterday, last night and most of this
morning. About 2.2 inches and everything in the yard seems to be
thankful as it is all green and doing well.

yeah, we finally picked up a little rain here
too. so nice to be able to take a break and
let the water soak in from above.

There are hopes for more rain this afternoon and maybe through tomorrow.
Our friends in Baton Rouge, LA were lucky to be on high ground as the
city is badly flooded and may stay that way for awhile. Hopefully they
won't get another deluge.

The receiver for my automatic rain gauge quit working this past week,
due to rain I couldn't get it down until around noon today. I think the
batteries just gave out from the heat but the cup was full of spider
webs and spider poop plus dead bugs. Who would have thought spider's
would turn the gauge into a condo. Took it down, cleaned it out, put in
new batteries, put it back up but in a different location. One where I
don't have to step into SWMBO's flower bed anymore, which bed wasn't
there when I put the rain gauge up. G

once in a while one of my gardens may get mowed
down... not this year though, but she did ask me
several times why i just didn't mow it. chaos is
not appealing to her as it is to me.

spiders are not a major problem here as much as
the bees tend to nest in almost anything like what
you mention.

songbird
Old 15-08-2016, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/15/2016 5:59 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

[...]

We're getting more rain at the moment, over one inch overnight and the
forecast is for much more today and most of the week. Strong system
moving in off the Gulf. We will probably have some flooding in the lower
elevations around here. Wife is off to church, another Holy Day for
Catholics, she is aware of the low places so is taking the "high road"
to Mass, the one that keeps you from flooding your car.

Looks like we might get rain for a few more days, hopefully it will fall
like it is now, a gentle rain, no high winds, water is moving off
downhill to Willow Creek, from there to the San Jacinto River, then into
the Gulf. Hopefully no flooding like Baton Rouge.