Old 24-08-2016, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default sunflower question

HI All,

My neighbor grew sunflowers last year (this year too). Two
of his last years seeds took root in my back yard.

I now have two sunflower about 5 feet tall. One has
a normal looking flower at is top.

The other has half sized leaves and 1/3 sized flowers all
over it. About 10.

Hmmmm. Don't suppose the seeds he planted last year were
hybrids and I got one of the original strains growing
in my back yard?

I think I will collect seeds from both and deliberately
plant them next year. I wonder which will give the most
seeds!

-T
Old 24-08-2016, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I would think so. Reads from the description that you have Maximilian
Sunflower? Not sure, but they are common here.
Old 25-08-2016, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/24/2016 07:51 AM, azigni wrote:
I would think so. Reads from the description that you have Maximilian
Sunflower? Not sure, but they are common here.

Hi Azigni

You got me looking at pictures of various Sunflowers!

Maxi's have the wrong size pedals and leaves.

These look exactly like a conventional sunflower, except
the dicot style leaves and flower pedals and 1/3 the
size. Plus flowers all over the place.

Hmmmmm! And there are multiples of four or five pedals,
which means it has been hybridized. (Wild dicots are
four or five pedals, but no multiples.)

This will be a fun mystery to solve. Thank you for pointing
me in the right direction!