Old 27-08-2016, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default over winter crops?

Hi All,

Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their
any other crops to plant over winter in a snow
and freezing environment?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 27-08-2016, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their
any other crops to plant over winter in a snow
and freezing environment?

winter wheat and winter rye (both grain
crops) are excellent for breaking up hard
ground. get them planted as soon as you
start getting into the colder wetter season.
turn them under in the spring several weeks
before planting.

you can usually get the seeds from a
grain elevator type place for a few $ for
10lbs.

songbird
Old 28-08-2016, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/27/2016 05:06 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their
any other crops to plant over winter in a snow
and freezing environment?

winter wheat and winter rye (both grain
crops) are excellent for breaking up hard
ground. get them planted as soon as you
start getting into the colder wetter season.
turn them under in the spring several weeks
before planting.

you can usually get the seeds from a
grain elevator type place for a few $ for
10lbs.

songbird

Grains are toxic to me. Anything I can eat?
Old 28-08-2016, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Grains are toxic to me. Anything I can eat?

you don't grow them to finish. you grow them
to turn under.

to finish takes until mid-summer.

songbird
Old 28-08-2016, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Grains are toxic to me. Anything I can eat?

arid climate cover crop. hmm... tepary beans.
supposedly there are recent cross-breeds available
with other common beans so they are more edible.
i've never actually grown tepary beans here as we
are pretty wet here most of the season.

so i don't know when these would be planted.

pretty much any crop i would grow as a winter
cover crop would not be for eating, but to hold
soil, moisture and nutrients and to keep the
soil covered through the winter season. to be
turned under in the spring.

songbird

Old 28-08-2016, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

Grains are toxic to me. Anything I can eat?

They are not for you - they are a high-output intentional "weed" for
turning under to make soil to make food you do eat.

Old 28-08-2016, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 23:06:58 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their
any other crops to plant over winter in a snow
and freezing environment?

Broad/fava beans? Not sure how cold it gets where you are but I
currently have broad beans growing in -6°C. I do plant in mid to late
autumn though. I also grow a 'green manure' crop at the same time,
which mostly consists of things like lupins, mustard, oats etc.
Old 29-08-2016, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/28/2016 01:05 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

Grains are toxic to me. Anything I can eat?

They are not for you - they are a high-output intentional "weed" for
turning under to make soil to make food you do eat.

I was hoping for something to eat.

Old 29-08-2016, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/28/2016 02:31 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 23:06:58 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their
any other crops to plant over winter in a snow
and freezing environment?

Broad/fava beans? Not sure how cold it gets where you are but I
currently have broad beans growing in -6°C. I do plant in mid to late
autumn though. I also grow a 'green manure' crop at the same time,
which mostly consists of things like lupins, mustard, oats etc.

Broadbeans (fava beans), mature seeds, raw
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4321/2

1 cup:
Glycemic load: 28
calories: 512 KCal
Carbs: 84 grams

My limits are 10 max per day load, 1600 KCal per day,
and 15 grams max per meal (60 max per day).

Rats!

Beans also have weird things in them too that mess with
a Primal's digestion.

Thank you anyway. Yes, I find myself annoying at times too.

Is there anything like garlic that over winters?

Old 29-08-2016, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 18:06:34 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

Rats indeed. Such issues really narrow down options.

Thank you anyway. Yes, I find myself annoying at times too.

Ha ha

Is there anything like garlic that over winters?

How about shallots and potato onions? The latter seem to be quite
uncommon as I never hear much mention of them - a great kind of onion,
they grow in clumps and are quite hardy. Winter lettuce does well...
(English) spinach is another one. Chives might do okay too. Japanese
turnip apparently does well although I haven't tried them myself.
Asparagus crowns... maybe?

Old 29-08-2016, 08:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/28/2016 10:19 PM, Je�us wrote:
Is there anything like garlic that over winters?

How about shallots and potato onions? The latter seem to be quite
uncommon as I never hear much mention of them - a great kind of onion,
they grow in clumps and are quite hardy. Winter lettuce does well...
(English) spinach is another one. Chives might do okay too. Japanese
turnip apparently does well although I haven't tried them myself.
Asparagus crowns... maybe?

Hmmmm. These seem like a really good idea!
http://www.southernexposure.com/yell...-oz-p-873.html
I know just where to put them too. I eat A LOT of onions!

Shallots. I thought you planted them in the spring and harvest
them in the fall. Are there different kinds of shallots?

I am not finding the glycemic load on those Japanese turnips.
They do sound really interesting for those of us that hate
turnips (they taste too metallic for me).

Thank you!
Old 29-08-2016, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 23:06:58 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their
any other crops to plant over winter in a snow
and freezing environment?

Many thanks,
-T

For me fall is the time to gather the last crops and finish preserving
all of the harvest. Also get the plots I plan to plant next Spring
ready. (Ideally)

Winter is time to let the back rest and recover. It is the time to
read seed catalogues and gardening books, take inventory of my seeds
and preserved foods and plan for the Spring. Since I have a
greenhouse I start several things there as early as January. By
February I am starting many of my summer crops there.

Before I got the greenhouse I started many plants in the house with
grow lights.

Gardening or farming is not just a spring and summer project. Winter
is the time to plan.

Do you preserve any of your produce? I can, freeze and dehydrate.
That takes us though the winter or longer.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 29-08-2016, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/29/2016 10:52 AM, The Cook wrote:
[...]

I used to do the same things Susan, had a shelving unit in my home
office. Four shelves with grow lights over each one, started lots of
good vegetables for many years. Nowadays we have one 16 by 4 bed and two
four by 8 beds that we grow our vegetables in. On this small property
that works best. Our old home in Louisiana was a 14,000 square foot
property with lots of concrete and a big house on it but we managed a
17X21 in ground garden. Plus several fruit trees, a green house, berries
along the fence line, etc. As we age we don't miss it to much.

In addition to the vegetable beds we have a fig, a kumquat, and a pear
tree, all producing well after four years of growth. Do need to replace
the growing medium in the raised beds though. That means a tarp to hold
the new medium and toss it several times to get it all mixed properly. I
think we might be getting a bit to old for that too. Might have to call
in the 200 + lbs grandsons to do the tossing.

It's a somewhat balmy day here in SE Texas, Northern Harris Cty, temps
in the mid to high seventies rather than the usual 90-112F we usually
get at this time of year. Might be because of the rain clouds moving in
from the Gulf. Almost time to plant the fall garden. I am waiting to see
if the Gypsy pepper plant we put in two springs ago is still going to be
with us. It is generally covered with lots of small peppers on a regular
basis. Most of which goes to the poor kitchen at church since our
freezers are full. I've never thought of a perennial chile plant.
Old 29-08-2016, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/29/2016 08:52 AM, The Cook wrote:
[...]

So far, I blanch and freeze. I also freeze my ratatouille.

It is annoying that I have to buy produce in the winter.
I am working on it.
Old 30-08-2016, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

hi, glad to see you back writing.

Winter is time to let the back rest and recover. It is the time to
read seed catalogues and gardening books, take inventory of my seeds
and preserved foods and plan for the Spring. Since I have a
greenhouse I start several things there as early as January. By
February I am starting many of my summer crops there.

Before I got the greenhouse I started many plants in the house with
grow lights.

we keep it too cool in the house to start a lot
of plants, plus very limited on space, so i am
glad the local greenhouse will do those for us
(mainly tomatoes, peppers, onions and cucumbers).

Gardening or farming is not just a spring and summer project. Winter
is the time to plan.

i call that daydreaming. what i plan may not
happen as i can get overruled. like this year i did
not really want to plant a ton of tomatoes, but we
put in over 20 plants... and squash, i thought only
one squash patch, we have three. beans, as usual i
was hoping to plant several gardens worth, only
have one. etc.

Do you preserve any of your produce? I can, freeze and dehydrate.
That takes us though the winter or longer.

we can and freeze as much as we possibly can do.

this past weekend we took inventory and Ma has already
decided which things she will give away to friends and
family for Christmas gifts. this way we don't have to
rearrange the pantry yet again. 15 cases will be given
away.

we're about halfway through the tomatoes and have
beets, dry beans, squash, onions and red peppers to
eat or preserve.

right now for the red peppers i'm voting on eating
fresh, i love them fried up until they get a little
burn on them in spots.

songbird