Old 15-11-2016, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default dihaloacetonitriles

Hi All,

According to Wikipedia, when you mix humic acid and drinking water
chlorine, you get a toxic substance called "dihaloacetonitriles"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid#Health_issues

"Humic and fulvic acids, when present in treated
drinking water, can react with the chemicals used
in the chlorination process to form disinfection
byproducts such as dihaloacetonitriles, which are
toxic to humans"

Hmmmm. I water my garden with chlorine containing tap
water. This is issue or just something else to worry
needlessly about?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 15-11-2016, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

According to Wikipedia, when you mix humic acid and drinking water
chlorine, you get a toxic substance called "dihaloacetonitriles"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid#Health_issues

"Humic and fulvic acids, when present in treated
drinking water, can react with the chemicals used
in the chlorination process to form disinfection
byproducts such as dihaloacetonitriles, which are
toxic to humans"

Hmmmm. I water my garden with chlorine containing tap
water. This is issue or just something else to worry
needlessly about?

do plants take it up? does it degrade through
time when exposed to the many factors in play in
a garden (sunlight, bacteria, fungi, etc)?

from what i have read anti-oxidants in the diet are
good helpers for this sort of thing, but i generally
don't want to overdo it on anti-oxidants.

see if there are any liver or kidney studies that
follow these compounds.

songbird
Old 16-11-2016, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
T wrote:

[...]

As far as Chlorine in tap water is concerned if you let the tap water stand
for a day the chlorine dissipates but apparently there may be other stuff
that needs to be cleared out
http://hightimes.com/grow/grow-hack-...rom-tap-water/
UV light seems to do the trick so I am going with enough sunshine will
neutralize it.

Mike