Old 13-12-2016, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default red bell peppers?

Hi All,

My wife loves red bell peppers. So, I am
thinking of growing them next season.

Now I know that what grows commercially is not
always the easiest thing to grow in a garden, so
I was wondering what you guys thought would grow
the best in a garden.

I am in zone 6B.

-T
Old 13-12-2016, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/12/2016 03:27 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

My wife loves red bell peppers. So, I am
thinking of growing them next season.

Now I know that what grows commercially is not
always the easiest thing to grow in a garden, so
I was wondering what you guys thought would grow
the best in a garden.

I am in zone 6B.

-T

By that I mean types of red bell peppers that grow best in
a home garden
Old 13-12-2016, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
By that I mean types of red bell peppers that grow best in
a home garden

they seem to respond well to good soil.

i don't grow any other kind of peppers
now i love roasted red peppers so much.

i have no idea what the variety is for
most of what i grow other than i know they
are not Red Knight. we had some Red Knight's
sneak into our tray of plants last year and
they seemed to do ok, but the ones we
normally grow get pretty big.

next time i stop at the greenhouse i'll
have to remember to ask.

songbird
Old 13-12-2016, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/12/2016 06:20 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
By that I mean types of red bell peppers that grow best in
a home garden

they seem to respond well to good soil.

i don't grow any other kind of peppers
now i love roasted red peppers so much.

i have no idea what the variety is for
most of what i grow other than i know they
are not Red Knight. we had some Red Knight's
sneak into our tray of plants last year and
they seemed to do ok, but the ones we
normally grow get pretty big.

next time i stop at the greenhouse i'll
have to remember to ask.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

Thank you!

I am just grateful that anything grows at all!

The little berms you had make to keep my onions beds from
filling with water worked marvelously. It has been
raining off and on over the last few days. I got
to see where the water was actually coming from.
It is coming from my roof and draining straight
towards my onions beds. So I have two things to
thank you for.

-T
Old 13-12-2016, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Thank you!

you're welcome.

I am just grateful that anything grows at all!

life can be pretty tenacious given a
chance.

we have a foot of wet snow, nothing
much is growing now. will be down in
the single digits and below zero F this
week. a bit early for such weather, but
at least we have a blanket of insulation
for protection now.

The little berms you had make to keep my onions beds from
filling with water worked marvelously. It has been
raining off and on over the last few days. I got
to see where the water was actually coming from.
It is coming from my roof and draining straight
towards my onions beds. So I have two things to
thank you for.

yes, always important to know your water/nutrient
flows, especially in an arid climate.

it doesn't remain soggy for long periods does it?
you don't want bulbs/roots in standing water for
too much time.

if you have to, put a few smaller berms up from
the onion beds to catch some of that water and
soak it in. it is always better to soak it in
instead of letting it run off, if you have the
space. water in the ground doesn't evaporate
like a pond will.

a rain barrel on the downspouts is very useful
too.

i didn't even get a chance to see if the garlic
was up yet before the garden was closed up for
the winter.

songbird

Old 14-12-2016, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/13/2016 06:07 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Thank you!

you're welcome.

[...]

It was only soggy when I was prepping and de-rocking
the bed. It dried out and got berm-ed before I
planted. It is now "moist" not "sodden", as you
told me to do.

if you have to, put a few smaller berms up from
the onion beds to catch some of that water and
soak it in. it is always better to soak it in
instead of letting it run off, if you have the
space. water in the ground doesn't evaporate
like a pond will.

a rain barrel on the downspouts is very useful
too.

i didn't even get a chance to see if the garlic
was up yet before the garden was closed up for
the winter.

songbird

My garlic is all grown up and doing well. It
seems to like he snow and cold. The onions
never sprouted. I may have to wait till spring.
Old 14-12-2016, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
My garlic is all grown up and doing well. It
seems to like he snow and cold. The onions
never sprouted. I may have to wait till spring.

they'll still be putting roots down until then
if there is moisture.

we have spring flowers which will begin
growing for spring in the previous summer
and fall. they put up shoots which get
close to breaking the surface of the soil
just waiting for warmer weather. it is
hard to believe that they will stay that
way for months at a time without rotting
or changing much at all even when frozen
and rethawed many times.

songbird