GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   12/28/16 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/214215-12-28-16-a.html)

George Shirley[_3_] 28-12-2016 05:32 PM

12/28/16

Here we are, nearly into another year. The high temp forecast for today
is 81F with possible rain. Can use the rain, not so much the high temps
nor the sweat that goes with it.

The fall garden is growing like it is summer. Cauliflower, broccoli, and
cabbages are growing fast so we will be picking, cleaning, pickling or
freezing before long.

I still need to prune the fruit trees but they haven't gone dormant as
yet. I reckon I will just wait until mid-January and prune anyway. Have
done that before without ill results so will do it again.

We had a nice Christmas with most of our extended family and lots of
good food. I had not noticed before that both the men and women of our
family are good cooks. I knew wife and I were good cooks but not all the
rest of our get have those skills too. Lots of young children and one
lone crawling baby who won everyone's heart as she crawled over to get
hugs and lots of love. The family is still growing.

We were married 56 years yesterday. I had not given a thought when we
married that we would still be around to have four generations with us.
Two children, five grandchildren plus a step grandchild, seven great
grandchildren.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and may your
crops be prolific and tasty.

George, Miz Anne, and Tilly Dawg

T[_4_] 30-12-2016 05:12 AM

12/28/16

On 12/28/2016 08:32 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Hi George, Miz Anne, and Tilly Dawg,

We had a wonderful Christmas, although it could have been longer.

56 years! Wow. She must have really put the whammy on you!
The two of us are approaching 42 years since she put the whammy
on me. (And she shows no sign on reform either.)

The garden is cover in about four inches of snow. The garlic
leaves are still green and seem to be loving the cold.

Give Tilly a biscuit for us.

-T