Old 07-01-2017, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hard freeze

Here it is at 0630 and the thermometer is showing 21F and I will be out
there at sunrise checking the garden and also taking a look at the
faucets I forgot to cover last night. Getting old and senile is slightly
better than being in the ground. G

I suspect some of the fruit trees, like the kumquat and the pear, will
now lose their leaves. They need pruning anyway so guess that's not a
problem. I am hoping the fall garden will make it through the freeze.
First time to have a hard freeze since we moved back to Texas in 2012
and I'm not really fond of coldness. Especially when it's 24F and
overcast from what I can see in the dark out there. Dog went out to do
her business and did it very quick. BG

This is the first hard freeze we've had since we moved back to Texas.
Actually this is the first freeze of any kind here in the last five
years. I do despise cold weather, I turn into a really old 77 year old
man when I'm cold. All my joints are hurting and I walk like I'm 100
years old. Been worked hard and put up cold to many times for this
stuff. G

George and Tilly Dawg, Boss lady is still snoring.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

It's 6° here , and Maxie-poo* and I had to swap in a new lpg bottle on the
cookstove first thing this morning so the Mrs could heat water for tea ...
there's about 3" of snow on the ground and the roads are covered with ice .
--
Snag
* Doggus Maximus , a 5 1/2 month old Mountain Cur that already weighs almost

Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

Here it is at 0630 and the thermometer is showing 21F and I will be out
there at sunrise checking the garden and also taking a look at the
faucets I forgot to cover last night. Getting old and senile is slightly
better than being in the ground. G

i think we're around 10-12F now. i won't be
going outside. today will be a day of napping,
reading and maybe a few small projects.

I suspect some of the fruit trees, like the kumquat and the pear, will
now lose their leaves. They need pruning anyway so guess that's not a
problem. I am hoping the fall garden will make it through the freeze.
First time to have a hard freeze since we moved back to Texas in 2012
and I'm not really fond of coldness. Especially when it's 24F and
overcast from what I can see in the dark out there. Dog went out to do
her business and did it very quick. BG

why haven't they invented doggie toilets
yet?

This is the first hard freeze we've had since we moved back to Texas.
Actually this is the first freeze of any kind here in the last five
years. I do despise cold weather, I turn into a really old 77 year old
man when I'm cold. All my joints are hurting and I walk like I'm 100
years old. Been worked hard and put up cold to many times for this
stuff. G

i feel it some days too, especially in the broken
spots. keep warm and enjoy your day George.

George and Tilly Dawg, Boss lady is still snoring.

going back to sleep is an option here at the
moment. still early enough.

songbird
Old 07-01-2017, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 06:47:19 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

[...]

Here at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC it is 28°F. We
have about 6" of snow and still coming down. No way we are going to
check anything. Most of it is buried. I went out yesterday and cut
some rosemary for a dish I am planning for today. Good thing I did!
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 07-01-2017, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/7/2017 7:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I'm sure glad I'm not where you are. Propane, my folks were on butane,
then propane for about thirty years with a natural gas pipeline just
outside their property. After thirty years on propane the gas company
finally figured out that the small community my folks were in could
actually be customers. Go figure.

We just passed 32F a couple of hours, tomorrow the temps will be back in
the forties and fifties. Weird weather for us.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

See, at least in SE Texas we can expect warm weather the day after a
freeze. I'm a native Texican and finally saw snow the first time when I
was eighteen and in the Navy. I thought it was great fun until I went
aboard a ship in Newport way up north. Then the ship sailed off to
patrol the Northern Arctic ice field. I darn near froze to death just
seeing that much ice and snow.

Now at my age my joints, from my neck through my back, both hands, both
knees and both ankles are popping and jumping. Dear wife wanted to know
what that "popping" noise was and I showed her. G Even the dawg was
looking around for awhile.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/8/2017 7:28 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Here it is at 0630 and the thermometer is showing 21F and I will be out
there at sunrise checking the garden....

Well, a day later the stuff finally made it to the Sunny South;
brrr. 30° since who knows when this morning but still holding as I type
this (08:25AM). Clear skies; light frost; thin surface ice on water
bowls. Haven't checked the garden. Gonna wait 'til the air temp is at
least 45.

It gets worse Derald, got up this morning to another hard freeze. Took a
look out the back door and the garden looks pitiful. Cabbage, broccoli,
etc. all look badly wilted.

Just took a look at the weather for tomorrow, it will be in the sixties
again, right now it is 25F and it's right at 0900. Later in the week
temps will rise to the mid seventies, go figure. Of course most of the
US is now in a freeze. Whatever happened to global warming?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

Here it is at 0630 and the thermometer is showing 21F and I will be out
there at sunrise checking the garden....

Well, a day later the stuff finally made it to the Sunny South;
brrr. 30° since who knows when this morning but still holding as I type
this (08:25AM). Clear skies; light frost; thin surface ice on water
bowls. Haven't checked the garden. Gonna wait 'til the air temp is at
least 45.

It gets worse Derald, got up this morning to another hard freeze. Took a
look out the back door and the garden looks pitiful. Cabbage, broccoli,
etc. all look badly wilted.

Just took a look at the weather for tomorrow, it will be in the sixties
again, right now it is 25F and it's right at 0900. Later in the week
temps will rise to the mid seventies, go figure. Of course most of the
US is now in a freeze. Whatever happened to global warming?

for a while there it looked pretty sad
at the north pole:

http://iabp.apl.washington.edu/raw_p...4064010010#top

but it seems to have corrected somewhat.

songbird
Old 08-01-2017, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/8/2017 12:16 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

It gets worse Derald, got up this morning to another hard freeze. Took a
look out the back door and the garden looks pitiful. Cabbage, broccoli,
etc. all look badly wilted.

Yeah, the second morning frequently is the coldest. Temp now
(right at 1 PM) is 50°. Defrocked the garden a bit earlier and hung its
wet clothes out to dry. Everything appears well save a few upper leaves
on the eggplant.
At this time the NOAA forecast is calling for low of 37°, which is
safe for everything in the garden except the tomatoes and eggplant but
I'll probably cover everything again. On sunny days, the raised beds
usually get a heat boost that makes auxiliary heat unnecessary but when
it is needed, I have on hand many many jugs of warm water to place in
the beds. Many people don't realize that when water freezes, the latent
heat released often is enough to minimize damage. My water is stored in
a room with a working wood heater so it'll be quite warm. Like the song
sez: "You got to be ready".

Yup! And the latest forecast for tomorrow is 69F and then a couple of
days in the mid seventies. After having no winter for four years, now
we're getting winter and spring all at once. Mother Nature needs to be
corrected. G

At least we had no freezing pipes, neighbor three doors south of us
didn't bother to cover his outdoor faucets and expensive water is
running down to his curb. I have those foam faucet covers that work real
well and put them on once it starts getting cold. If you need to use the
faucet the covers just pop up and stay out of the way.

At our old place we had about five faucets in all, including a couple of
freestanding one's on the big garden. Those two were insulated like
steam pipes, heavy insulation with a specialty cover for the faucets.
Didn't hurt things that I worked 47 years in the petrochemical industry. G

I need to do a specialty rig on the outdoor faucets here, shouldn't be
much trouble. I just have to remember to do it.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/9/2017 11:22 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

At least we had no freezing pipes

Never had frozen pipes here. An outdoor faucet snapped off of its
(plastic) riser in 96-97 (capped the riser while still frozen and it
remains capped) and a hose-end 4-way manifold was damaged, as much from
poor design as from my own dumbass, in 2011-12. Our water comes from
the well at 70+ degrees so if we run a little water late at night, the
temperature has to be below freezing for hours to place outdoor stuff at
risk.
Atypically warmer this morning (39) and 62 at noon so no additonal
damage to garden and covering was overkill except, of course for the
eggplant and those damnable tomatoes. Normal pattern is for second
morning after a front passes to be colder than first. I'm not
complaining.

Was low forties this morning and at 1217 is is 58. I don't think we will
get another freeze very soon.

Grapes, dormancy and green leaves wilting at hard freeze DigitalVinyl Gardening 5 18-11-2004 11:47 PM
Hard Freeze?? Robert North Carolina 26 06-04-2004 10:36 PM
Hard Freeze?? Robert North Carolina 0 06-04-2004 10:36 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 11:56 PM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-03-2003 02:27 AM