GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   roofing tar paper (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/214575-roofing-tar-paper.html)

Susan Spivey 27-04-2017 06:14 PM

roofing tar paper

For use in walking path in garden

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/edible...per-44371-.htm

T[_4_] 28-04-2017 09:32 PM

roofing tar paper

On 04/27/2017 10:14 AM, Susan Spivey wrote:
For use in walking path in garden

Hi Susan,

I'd personally be afraid of all the chemicals.
Maybe something hard, like pavers?

-T

Terry Coombs 28-04-2017 10:35 PM

roofing tar paper

T wrote:
On 04/27/2017 10:14 AM, Susan Spivey wrote:
For use in walking path in garden

Hi Susan,

I'd personally be afraid of all the chemicals.
Maybe something hard, like pavers?

-T

Or better yet , some boidegradable cardboard . Keeps weeds down , moiusture
in , and enrichens the soil as it decomposes . Most all boxes are now
printed with nontoxic inks , so no worries there .
BTW , how old is the original post we're responding to ?
--
Snag

George Shirley[_3_] 28-04-2017 11:42 PM

roofing tar paper

On 4/28/2017 4:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
On 04/27/2017 10:14 AM, Susan Spivey wrote:
For use in walking path in garden

Hi Susan,

I'd personally be afraid of all the chemicals.
Maybe something hard, like pavers?

-T

Or better yet , some boidegradable cardboard . Keeps weeds down , moiusture
in , and enrichens the soil as it decomposes . Most all boxes are now
printed with nontoxic inks , so no worries there .
BTW , how old is the original post we're responding to ?

There's no telling how long some posts seem to be. I've seen some on
here from lots of years ago. Maybe there is a ghost floating around too.

We used to use newspapers, ink is from carbon nowadays and also the
cardboard which now uses inks that are not chemicals.

With our above ground garden beds and the use of man made "soils" we
seldom have weeds coming up unless the blasted birds are resting on the
cages. I guess that bird poop is about as organic as it can be so we
leave them alone. Ran another cat out of the yard this afternoon, cat
poop is NOT a good fertilizer. We clean up after our small dog and the
poop goes into a 12 inch diameter sewer pipe dug into the ground in an
upright stand. Earthworms take care of that stuff and nothing else
bothers it.

Our spring/summer garden is going crazy, the early lettuce has already
run wild and the tomatoes are as big as tennis balls and still green.
Temps are running in the low eighties but some nights still get down to
50F. Two snap freezes in January knocked down a few of our seedling
fruit trees but the roots are coming back. We're looking for more rain
this coming week which will be welcome.

George

songbird[_2_] 29-04-2017 02:20 AM

roofing tar paper

Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
On 04/27/2017 10:14 AM, Susan Spivey wrote:
For use in walking path in garden

not really a good idea. it breaks down
and petrochemicals aren't the best for any
garden soil.

landscape fabric with a four inch layer of
wood chips if you can get them for free.

after five to ten years they'll be partially
degraded and a great garden amendment. we
use quite a few of these. we'll worth the
effort.

if any weeds happen to try to get going in
them the weeds are easily pulled (get them
before they set seeds and/or spread or put
deep roots down which can find cracks to
get through the fabric or along the edges).

Hi Susan,

I'd personally be afraid of all the chemicals.
Maybe something hard, like pavers?

Or better yet , some boidegradable cardboard . Keeps weeds down , moiusture
in , and enrichens the soil as it decomposes . Most all boxes are now
printed with nontoxic inks , so no worries there .

some boxes are coated with a shiny layer
which is plastic. it is much better to not
use those, the more plain the better IMO,
black ink on the brownish/tan cardboard is
good, plain with no printing is best.

BTW , how old is the original post we're responding to ?

Tues, Apr 27, fairly recent. not sure if the
OP was responding to something else.

songbird

Frank 30-04-2017 12:11 AM

roofing tar paper

On 4/28/2017 10:39 PM, Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

BTW , how old is the original post we're responding to ?

One might ask why "we're" responding to a classic click bait
trolling run. Ms "Spivey" reveals "her" age by courteously using a
signature delimiter to strip her spam from the potential followups of
dumbasses and noobs. Ironically, such posts are of inestimable value in
managing ones personal twit list.

Looks fairly new. I think it is a dumb idea as roofing paper is
impervious to water.