Old 24-05-2017, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sick of all this rain and lack of sunshine...

Anyone else in the Midwest sick of all the rain and lack of sunshine this
spring? The cool temps here aren't helping either. The high today was
63...sigh...
My cool weather crops like onions, radishes, broccoli, and cauliflower are
suffering due to the lack of sunshine and my warm weather crops like my
peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes are just sitting there due to the cool
night temps.

About the only thing happy in my garden right now is the four heads of
romain.

Anyone else in the Midwest going through the same thing? Because the
weather in Illinois this years really stinks!
Old 24-05-2017, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/23/2017 07:34 PM, wg_2002 wrote:
Anyone else in the Midwest sick of all the rain and lack of sunshine this
spring? The cool temps here aren't helping either. The high today was
63...sigh...
My cool weather crops like onions, radishes, broccoli, and cauliflower are
suffering due to the lack of sunshine and my warm weather crops like my
peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes are just sitting there due to the cool
night temps.

About the only thing happy in my garden right now is the four heads of
romain.

Anyone else in the Midwest going through the same thing? Because the
weather in Illinois this years really stinks!

Wait until the weeds come out! I have so many weeds this
year I am overwhelmed. (We are dead nuts on the Pineapple
Express.)

All the water/snow/ice killed all but four of my potato onions.
All my garlic and onions loved it. I will make a better bed
for my onions next years that won't flood so much. I like
to make them a little recessed so that I can spot water and the
water won't run off, but it bit me this year with the Pineapple
Express.

Do you have good luck sprouting pepper seeds?
Old 24-05-2017, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 23 May 2017 20:07:29 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

My garden is on the smaller side so I'm able to tarp it with weed barrier
and the mulch it to help keep the moisture in. This setup helps keep the
weeds out too which is nice.
I tried germinating peppers from seed for the first time this year. I was
pretty happy with the results. I put 2-4 seeds per pot and got most of
them to germinate successfully. It's a crappy pic but here are my
results.http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/fry_daddy/
DSCF5397_zps64qfsdbm.jpg
I have tomorrow off and plan on transplanting the larger ones into the
garden.

Old 24-05-2017, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 May 2017 03:38:54 +0000, wg_2002 wrote:

[...]

Not sure why my link came out all funky. You might have to highlight then
copy and paste it into your address bar to see my pepper pics.
Old 24-05-2017, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Here's an imgur link it might work better...http://i.imgur.com/q0p8Zfg.jpg

Old 24-05-2017, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/23/2017 08:38 PM, wg_2002 wrote:
[...]

There is something about getting on your hands and knees and
feeling the soil in yours hands when you transplant a sprout.

Only my tomatillos and zukes have sprouted, plus a few black
beauty tomatoes seeds Southern Exchange gave me for free.
(Last year they gave me cabbage, that was a bust.)

The tomatillos and tomatoes only look like a green hair
so far.

I loved the picture. I can see the wonderful things in
their future!

What kind of peppers where they?
Old 24-05-2017, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/23/2017 08:44 PM, wg_2002 wrote:

Do you have good luck sprouting pepper seeds?

My garden is on the smaller side so I'm able to tarp it with w

Came out fine for me
Old 24-05-2017, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 23 May 2017 22:38:19 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

Do you direct sow most of your seeds or do you try to start them in pots?
The peppers are mini bell peppers. Like the ones you see in the grocery
store in bags. I had a hard time finding them in 4-pack starter plants
this year so I decided to grow my own from a Livingston Seed pack.

You're right there is nothing like getting out in the garden and getting
your hands dirty. I love it! hehe

Old 24-05-2017, 08:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/24/2017 12:08 AM, wg_2002 wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 22:38:19 -0700, T wrote:

I loved the picture. I can see the wonderful things in their future!

What kind of peppers where they?

Do you direct sow most of your seeds or do you try to start them in pots?

Peat moss pots. When I transplant, I rip the bottom out and stick
them in the hole.

Weird. I have white fuzz growing on the outside of the pots
this year.

The peppers are mini bell peppers.

me to. These are the ones I got:
http://www.rareseeds.com/red-mini-be...=bell%20pepper

The haven't sprouted yet.

Like the ones you see in the grocery
store in bags. I had a hard time finding them in 4-pack starter plants
this year so I decided to grow my own from a Livingston Seed pack.

You're right there is nothing like getting out in the garden and getting
your hands dirty. I love it! hehe

It undoes a lot of the modern world stress we humans
were never designed to endure. Almost as good
as going fishing!

You are never too old to play in the mud!

Old 24-05-2017, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wg_2002 wrote:

Anyone else in the Midwest sick of all the rain and lack of sunshine this
spring? The cool temps here aren't helping either. The high today was
63...sigh...
My cool weather crops like onions, radishes, broccoli, and cauliflower are
suffering due to the lack of sunshine and my warm weather crops like my
peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes are just sitting there due to the cool
night temps.

About the only thing happy in my garden right now is the four heads of
romain.

we have garlic and chives which are pretty
bullet proof for early season goodies.

Anyone else in the Midwest going through the same thing? Because the
weather in Illinois this years really stinks!

haven't planted anything other than some onion
sets a few weeks ago and they seem to be growing.

too busy with other things lately. we have
plants now for putting out in the gardens, but i
think it is still too cold at night. next week
probably.

we're going to try potatoes this year. i am
not really a big fan of potatoes but oh well...

songbird

Old 24-05-2017, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/24/2017 7:30 AM, songbird wrote:
wg_2002 wrote:

[...]

Here it is late May and we woke up to 60F this morning at 0530. Strange
weather for SE Texas but we've been having lots of mornings like this
and hardly any rain to speak of.

Gardens are rampant as we water frequently on this pile of clay, last
two nights we have gotten almost a half inch of rain that was a big help.

George
Old 28-05-2017, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Well we got some sunshine today here in Peoria. I swear my broccoli and
cauliflower grew 3 inches and little heads started to form.YAY!
More rain over night though but after that it's looking like clear skies
and somewhat warmer temps.